Green Wing - It's all over! Page 4

Quote: green faerie @ January 7, 2007, 11:43 AM

i'm a bit old to be obsessed by anything but this show managed to do it. unfortunatley, with two small children and life in general clogging my brain, the memories of the finale are now fading- i can't wait to get my dvd and re-watch!

i'm just happy caroline and mac got together, even if only for a few weeks. it's would be interesting to marry someone you love even knowing they will die very soon and have the opportuniy to only have the wonderful honeymoon period as your entire married life. as for caroline and martin? as a married woman i cannot imagine hooking up with a man i'd have to care for like a child...he's a very sweet character though and one of my favourites.

Wow that is my shameful secret too, that I'm way too old with too many children...But therein lies the genius of the writers. Those characters have been my friends ( even though they don't know I exist, and even though- dare I say it- they don't exist...)

And Guy is too like my eight year old son ( but i hope the latter will grow up). V nice but you don't want to marry him and look after him.
And Sue white was right- Every woman in the world does love Mac.

Before you all think I am mad, I have never ever been obsessed with anything on tv before (Not counting Grange Hill when I was 12). And I have got a life...it's just that Green Wing land is better.

I'm signing off before you call the men in white coats.

haha Green Wing land is miles better-and like Sue White said about Guy, "You'd have to kill her and stuff her before she'd stay with you", I just hope he doesnt try it!

hey, alex, it's so true what you said about green wing land! i can't belive i found someone else who thinks that way :O) it's nice to get lost there when it's time to relax...

Quote: alex @ January 6, 2007, 12:38 AM

What do you mean 'lack of chemistry'? The toilet kiss is one of the most romantic ever....

I agree that it wasn't so apparent in the special, especially in the marry-me bit.

Caroline and Mac were described somewhere in the press as the most romantic couple since pride and prejudice (have to reveal my shameful ignorance- can't remember their names).

I think there was chemistry, but maybe that's wishful thinking...

...interesting connection. I think the P&P couple are Elizabeth Bennet (Jennifer Ehle in the BBC production)and Mr Darcy (Colin Firth). There was all that fuss about Firth's wet shirt incident and plenty of implied chemistry. Caro and Mac had good chem in the Series, but it seemed less edgy in the Special ...

Good analysis - probably better than the Special plotting/script!

aww I have to study Pride and Prejudice for my prose study in English...not that I dont love it, but meh- so much to analyse

I have to say that I thought the balloons were beautiful - and how often do you use that word about a sitcom?

Caroline, the azure blue sky, her dress and the balloons ... yet another moment in which GW has transcended the norm. It was like watching a fabulous little indie film.

I thought some of the sub-plots were a bit lame on the surface, but they all fed into the main idea of the GW universe gently falling apart at the seams and, like Joanna and Statham, pirouetting madly into the sea.

This was a very fitting end to one of the best shows I've ever seen - mad, but somehow appropriate.

Quote: Supermassivwhitemole @ January 6, 2007, 5:32 PM

the dvd came today. most of the deleted scenes are better than most scenes in the final episode. and that alternative ending was naff, though interesting last line from mac at the end.

I watched the alternative ending today, thanks to the wonder of the internet..

Actually I was struck by the similarities; each ending is interchangeable in terms of the possibilities left to the imagination. Whatever the viewer believes of one ending, he/she can believe of the other.

I was wondering, does anyone think the last line from Mac at the end was just a more usual version of a 'cliff-hanger' than the literal one at the ends of series 1 & 2? If so, I might ask the writers.....

Quote: gleamhound @ January 8, 2007, 10:31 PM

I have to say that I thought the balloons were beautiful - and how often do you use that word about a sitcom?

Caroline, the azure blue sky, her dress and the balloons ... yet another moment in which GW has transcended the norm. It was like watching a fabulous little indie film.

I thought some of the sub-plots were a bit lame on the surface, but they all fed into the main idea of the GW universe gently falling apart at the seams and, like Joanna and Statham, pirouetting madly into the sea.

This was a very fitting end to one of the best shows I've ever seen - mad, but somehow appropriate.

I agree. We wonder how realistic it is for Sue to get a new man, but not why she's leading a camel down the corridor. We know that the only way out for Joanna and Statham is to commit suicide, rather than consider the likelihood of the chain of events that led to their predicament.

Somehow the madness is puncuated by reality (or is it vice versa?). Just like real life then.....

"...but they all fed into the main idea of the GW universe gently falling apart at the seams..."

wow, thats a great way to think about it and puts an interesting sheen on it for me. i'll need to mull this one over.

I dont get my DVD till friday cos its on slow free order from Amazon-I will get back to you then!

Thanks for the welcome! I'm still waiting for my DVD to arrive but the deleted scenes on megaupload are brilliant!
I want there to either be a spin off of Statham and Joanna in spain or a Guy one!!!

Quote: green faerie @ January 9, 2007, 5:30 PM

"...but they all fed into the main idea of the GW universe gently falling apart at the seams..."

wow, thats a great way to think about it and puts an interesting sheen on it for me. i'll need to mull this one over.

Well, think about these:
1) The HR office falls apart and turns into Lord of the Flies (or should that be Files?) after Joanna departs;
2) Sue White is finally 'found out', as reality (in the shape of the man who wouldn't give her Joanna's job) finally crashes into her strange little world and refuses to go along with her games;
3) 'Thingy' - forgive my ignorance - aka the girl who falls out of the office window - becomes less dreamy after her accident;
4) When Boyce tries his jokes on Statham's replacement, he is brought down to earth with a violent crash;
5) ..... well, go on then.... someone else think of some more!

In general, though, and without trying to sound too pretentious, it reminds me of Peter Pan (or maybe it's something else - my memory's not what it was), where the world of 'innocence' is lost when reality intrudes. Actually, come to think of it, it's Paradise Lost, isn't it? "Don't eat that apple, mate... ooops, too late"

Quote: gleamhound @ January 9, 2007, 10:15 PM

Well, think about these:
1) The HR office falls apart and turns into Lord of the Flies (or should that be Files?) after Joanna departs;
2) Sue White is finally 'found out', as reality (in the shape of the man who wouldn't give her Joanna's job) finally crashes into her strange little world and refuses to go along with her games;
3) 'Thingy' - forgive my ignorance - aka the girl who falls out of the office window - becomes less dreamy after her accident;
4) When Boyce tries his jokes on Statham's replacement, he is brought down to earth with a violent crash;
5) ..... well, go on then.... someone else think of some more!

...er....Joanna has a split second maternal moment when she wished Martin luck?
.........Guy does the right thing?

That's all I can think of for now.

But by the wedding things were actually back to madness - as Mac said once, 'normality is restored'. Sue was there with her glued on dress identical to the bride's, Martin wanted to be adopted, they all cued up to snog Caro, etc, Guy delivered the least appropriate line you could ever say at a wedding...

Did nobody else go to the Special signing then?

Quote: alex @ January 8, 2007, 11:16 PM

I was wondering, does anyone think the last line from Mac at the end was just a more usual version of a 'cliff-hanger' than the literal one at the ends of series 1 & 2? If so, I might ask the writers.....

Knowing the rest of Green Wing, I doubt it was/is quite that black-and-white, but basically, yes. I'd guess so. Leads to interesting possibilities about what other endings the writers may have considered...

Quote: JemJem @ January 10, 2007, 2:30 AM

Did nobody else go to the Special signing then?

No, couldn't make it in the end. :(