NewsRevue again! Page 11

Quote: sootyj @ August 22 2008, 6:08 PM BST

5 for me including 4 from week1 i'M happy with that.

I shall be at the writers meeting.

I shan't. But I'll be there in spirit. Could you take a big cardboard cutout of me?

Well done guys! Alas, my first attempt was evidently sub-standard. Anyhoo, will keep churning them out in hope that next time I'll get something. And then probably the next...

Quote: Mikey J @ August 21 2008, 10:52 PM BST

...but at least I'm not gay. :P

That could be considered homophobic in some circles.

Quote: Rob0 @ August 22 2008, 11:52 PM BST

Well done guys! Alas, my first attempt was evidently sub-standard. Anyhoo, will keep churning them out in hope that next time I'll get something. And then probably the next...

I didn't get anything in until my third or fourth attempt - and that was only by writing a sootyj pastiche. Keep at it, my lad.

Yes, and sootyj submitted 283 sketches without success. Luckily for him, he managed to nail their style by Week 2.

Thanks guys makes me feel a little better.

Will have to take a look at some of the sketches they chose, and keep practising to become funny. Incidentally, do TS tend to reply to the first things you submit to offer encouragement? Similarly, if they don't say anything about a sketch does that mean it's no good?

Quote: Graham Bandage @ August 23 2008, 12:06 AM BST

Yes, and sootyj submitted 283 sketches without success. Luckily for him, he managed to nail their style by Week 2.

Well, by the looks of things he's kept hammering it in pretty darn well. Not that your hit rate was too shabby!

Quote: Griff @ August 23 2008, 12:11 AM BST

Sometimes I've got "this is great", and it doesn't go in the show.

That's what I got.

I guess I should actually try again or something.

I hear just sitting around and sending nothing in doesn't get you very far.

Quote: zooo @ August 23 2008, 12:49 AM BST

I guess I should actually try again or something.

Do it! Do it now!

Won't sooty get annoyed if we keep pastiching him?
;)

(that's my next plan of attack...)

Quote: zooo @ August 23 2008, 1:00 AM BST

;)

Nah, he loves it. They'll probably send him the cheque anyway, assume he's trying out a couple of pseudonyms.

Well, apart from my other two sketches (that are repeats) this was a new one of mine that they used this week.

I actually didn't think it was THAT good, but they must've liked it.

PULLING OUT OF GEORGIA (WITHDRAWAL METHOD)
by Mikey J

INT. DOCTOR'S SURGERY. DAY.

A DOCTOR IS SITTING AT HIS DESK. A WOMAN ENTERS AND SITS DOWN.

WOMAN:
Hello Doctor.

DOCTOR:
Hello. What can I do for you?

WOMAN:
I'd like the morning after pill please. I had a little accident last night.

DOCTOR:
Silly girl. What happened?

WOMAN:
Well, I was talking to this Russian guy in a club. Funny thing is, he wasn't really that interested until I told him my name. After that, he was up me like a rabid ferret.

DOCTOR:
What's your name?

WOMAN:
Georgia.
(a pause)
Anyway. There we were, shagging away. He promised me that he'd use the withdrawal method, but, of course, he never did.

DOCTOR:
Ah, well, that's the trouble you see. Russians won't pull out of Georgia, even though they say they will.

END

The one thing I had done by NewsRevue had a similar punchline to Mikey's. It was about Tony Blair pulling out of Cherie quicker than he pulled out of Iraq! Arf!

Quote: Winterlight @ August 24 2008, 12:25 AM BST

The one thing I had done by NewsRevue had a similar punchline to Mikey's. It was about Tony Blair pulling out of Cherie quicker than he pulled out of Iraq! Arf!

Well they've got four children so he obviously hasn't mastered the technique

Quote: Winterlight @ August 24 2008, 12:25 AM BST

I think he was extremely brave to go on in the first place.

Quote: Winterlight @ August 22 2008, 11:57 PM BST

That could be considered homophobic in some circles.

Magic ones?

Quote: Mikey J @ August 21 2008, 10:52 PM BST

Oh... and checking my email inbox every 15 minutes for the running order that hasn't transpired yet.

...but at least I'm not gay. :P

If you've got an in-box you must be gay-ish!

Quote: zooo @ August 23 2008, 1:00 AM BST

;)

Pastiche away I am the real Slim Shady after all.