Stiff Records

I was going to write on "Things that piss you off" because I've got to buy theIndependent tomorrow and Sunday to get some free Stiff Records CD's. I thought it deserved its own thread though.

Stiff Records was probably the best ever English independent record label.

You'd buy the next record out on the label without having heard it knowing it would be interesting.

Wreckless Eric, Nick Lowe, the Damned, as well as Ian Dury and Madness of course.

Their sales slogans were always original - "If it ain't Stiff it ain't worth a f**k" became legendary but there were so many more.

They also released an LP (that's a 12" black plastic thing before CDs) called "The Wit and Wisdom of Ronald Reagan" - 40 minutes of complete silence.

I would recommend to everyone that they get these CDs this weekend.

I didnt know about this. cheers David.

Good little Stiff article in the current 'Classic Rock'.

Quote: garyd @ January 25, 2008, 4:22 PM

Good little Stiff article in the current 'Classic Rock'.

Which month? Little article? Did you see the recent BBC4 documentary?

Quote: David Chapman @ January 25, 2008, 6:27 PM

Which month? Little article? Did you see the recent BBC4 documentary?

BBC4 documentary?
See, there are far too many channels. It takes more time trying to find out what's on than there is time to watch TV!

Feb 2008 issue. AC/DC on front.
Only 5 pages (one all pics) but a good little read if 'you were there', so to speak.

I thought this would be a longest maintained erection thread. I'm too young to of made that a topical joke.

Quote: garyd @ January 25, 2008, 10:24 PM

BBC4 documentary?
See, there are far too many channels. It takes more time trying to find out what's on than there is time to watch TV!

You need to get yourself DigiGuide. :)

Quote: Aaron @ January 25, 2008, 10:31 PM

You need to get yourself DigiGuide. :)

That's great, Aaron!

Just the thing to let the other half know what I can't watch! Teary

I've been using it for four or five years. Really couldn't live without it. <3

For anyone who comes by this thread and are not in the know.....

http://www.stiff-records.com/

Bollox.
I only read the first word on the thread title & jumped straight in.
To Say I feel really let down is an understatement.

Haven't Stiff started up again? Didn't 'The Enemy' put a single out with them?

And Chris Difford among others.

If I remember rightly, Stiff were bought out by ZTT Records who had Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Seal and the Art of Noise on the roster amongst others. Not sure if that is still the case.

Ah yes: http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/the-spirit-of-stiff-records-lives-on-773546.html?r=RSS

I was reminded by Nigel that there's a documentary on BBC2 tonight about Stiff Records at 11.35.

If anybody is really interested.