Stiff Records Page 2

Quote: David Chapman @ February 9, 2008, 9:45 PM

I was reminded by Nigel that there's a documentary on BBC2 tonight about Stiff Records at 11.35.

If anybody is really interested.

I watched it and it was pretty good. And what a name that guy had 'Humphrey Ocean.'

May be worth resurrecting this with the forthcoming Ian Dury biopic - "Sex and drugs and rock'n'roll" - due to be released.

Chappers; do you have the 4-disc 'Stiff Records' 'Big Stiff One' that came out a few years back? I'm sure you'd love it if you don't already have it. Lots of quirky, British eccentricity in the early days especially: eventually of course, Stiff became mainstram, securing No 1 hits by Madness and Barbara Gaskin ['It's my Party'].

UK music would have been much more boring without the likes of Stiff records, and they done much to brighten up the late 70s music scene, and to give exposure to many quirky acts and individuals.

Thought I'd bump this thread bearing in mind the discerning listeners who have joined the forum since this last appeared.

Also I wasinterested in the subsequent labels started by Jake Riviera when he took Elvis and Nick away and onto Radar and F-Beat.

I've got a considerable collection of the F-Beat output and love the Carlene Carter (Ex-Mrs Lowe) album covers. I saw her pkay once. Such an incrediv=bly sexy woman.

Another interesting thread out of the "black hole of threads".

I have to check my CD collection for stiff-albums. Having most of the Costello and Dave Edmunds albums there must be some among them.

Huh

Huhhuhuh

Huh huh

He said stiff

Huh huh

Quote: Chappers @ August 13 2013, 8:37 PM BST

Thought I'd bump this thread bearing in mind the discerning listeners who have joined the forum since this last appeared.

Also I wasinterested in the subsequent labels started by Jake Riviera when he took Elvis and Nick away and onto Radar and F-Beat.

I've got a considerable collection of the F-Beat output and love the Carlene Carter (Ex-Mrs Lowe) album covers. I saw her pkay once. Such an incrediv=bly sexy woman.

Don't think I even mentioned Stiff in my indie label list to George. Crazy. I tend to think of Costello first. "Alison" of all the tracks off that first album. Sublime. Then the Damned's "New Rose", I guess, which was v early for punk, and Ian Dury and the Blockheads. As mentioned, I was closest to Kirsty and the Pogues.

Looking now at the records they released, so many were memorable. You can see how it all sort of emerged from the pub scene, ie Dr Feelgood, a version of which was playing Ealing Jazz Festival recently when Wilco was further south. Less predictable is the later end. Furniture - and whatever happened to Rachel Sweet?

Have had a look at Radar. It was very likely, I think, for getting Pere Ubu into the NME best of all time lists and also possibly The Red Krayola and The Pop Group. The 13th Floor Elevators too. Much of it wouldn't have been heard at all, given the innovation. And it was really diverse what with Loudon Wainwright III.

Careful what you say in this thread tonight . . sootyj is bored.

Quote: Oldrocker @ August 13 2013, 9:11 PM BST

Bored Stiff?

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ August 13 2013, 8:55 PM BST

Another interesting thread out of the "black hole of threads".

I have to check my CD collection for stiff-albums. Having most of the Costello and Dave Edmunds albums there must be some among them.

Dave Edmunds only released one thing on Stiff I think and that was Baby under the guise of Mary Read.

Quote: Oldrocker @ August 13 2013, 9:11 PM BST

You're making me a bit nervous now.

So, does anyone love Elvis Costello's big boys as much as I do? ;)

Quote: Horseradish @ August 13 2013, 9:04 PM BST

Don't think I even mentioned Stiff in my indie label list to George. Crazy. I tend to think of Costello first. "Alison" of all the tracks off that first album. Sublime. Then the Damned's "New Rose", I guess, which was v early for punk, and Ian Dury and the Blockheads. As mentioned, I was closest to Kirsty and the Pogues.

Looking now at the records they released, so many were memorable. You can see how it all sort of emerged from the pub scene, ie Dr Feelgood, a version of which was playing Ealing Jazz Festival recently when Wilco was further south. Less predictable is the later end. Furniture - and whatever happened to Rachel Sweet?

Have had a look at Radar. It was very likely, I think, for getting Pere Ubu into the NME best of all time lists and also possibly The Red Krayola and The Pop Group. The 13th Floor Elevators too. Much of it wouldn't have been heard at all, given the innovation. And it was really diverse what with Loudon Wainwright III.

Stiff was founded using a loan from Lee Brilleaux.

Rachel Sweet released 2 Stiff albums and then 2 on CBS (Columbia.) I've got them all and she did have a great voice.

Sherecoded the original "Holding out for a Hero" theme to that TV Show (McGiver???) which Bonnie Tyler later claimed and had a hit with.

Quote: Chappers @ August 13 2013, 9:28 PM BST

Sherecoded the original "Holding out for a Hero" theme to that TV Show (McGiver???)

???Really?

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ August 13 2013, 9:32 PM BST

???Really?

OK - apparently I got it wrong.

The show was called Cover Up.

Soundtracks
Holding Out for a Hero
Performed by Elizabeth Daily
Written by Jim Steinman and Dean Pitchford

I knew it wasn't Bonnie though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9xjqCIrNT4

Sounds so much like Rachel though.

Quote: Chappers @ August 13 2013, 9:28 PM BST

Stiff was founded using a loan from Lee Brilleaux.

Rachel Sweet released 2 Stiff albums and then 2 on CBS (Columbia.) I've got them all and she did have a great voice.

Sherecoded the original "Holding out for a Hero" theme to that TV Show (McGiver???) which Bonnie Tyler later claimed and had a hit with.

B-A-B-Y is the one I remember. The Carla Thomas cover. It got loads of airplay, possibly even by the very great Roger Scott although Capital didn't generally go there, ie play indie, but it was probably not a big hit.

(Every time I edit, it flies back to the top of the page - apologies)