The Last Laugh

I've just read the Tumbleweed Awards (it's covered in the British Sitcoms section if you're not sure what I'm talking about) and there is a brief mention of The Last Laugh (the competition where new writers get to finish sitcoms written by the likes of Laurence Marks and Maurice Gran). It says that the competition is set to return early next year.

Anyone know if this is correct? The Tumbleweed Awards people use it as the set up for a lame joke, so it's possible that there is nothing to this.

I can't find anything on this, but it was such a success first time around that I wouldn't say it's entirely impossible.

Perhaps educated speculation?

So how many of you actually went in for this?

I tried two or three of the 6 and probably entered the wrong one. It was actually my first attempt at writing comedy and I haven't looked back.

I haven't looked forward either.

I entered, and also entered one the previous year to write 3 comedy sketches. Looking back, that was the first time I'd attempted writing comedy (I'd forgotten all about it til I read this thread)

Aid and I entered and were amazed that we didn't even make the Long List. Even reading now it seems funny, which is unusual for our stuff!

I imagine a repeat is quite likely.
Well, it is the Beeb!

I entered. I can't see there being another similar comp not since the beeb tightened their purse strings. It would be too expensive to do.
I wish they would do another though, it was great fun

I entered and got long listed. My script was praised for 'hitting the right tone' and it's punchy comedy lines' It was penalised for its 'tenuous plotting', which I can't argue with, since plotting's never been my strong point.

I entered Miss Milton. Then I wrote the script. (sorry).

I got absolutely nowhere with mine. Although reading it back now I realise what I did wrong. I completely forgot to not make it shit.

Lesson learned I s'pose.

Quote: Perry Nium @ February 9, 2008, 12:29 PM

I entered Miss Milton. Then I wrote the script. (sorry).

I got absolutely nowhere with mine. Although reading it back now I realise what I did wrong. I completely forgot to not make it shit.

Lesson learned I s'pose.

:D :D :D

I did 'The Old Guys' one, because I could see an ending for that, but wasnt impressed with any of the scripts that you could choose from. I suppose they were just knocked out quickly by the professionals. I wasnt long listed or anything, but still think the final ten minutes that I wrote was a damn sight funnier and had more going on than the first twenty mins! That was one of the first comedy things I wrote, it was fun, but what the hell happened to the writer who won? Was there an episode even made or broadcast? Because if so I missed it.

I entered and at the time, I thought it was the bollocks. I got nowhere with it and recently re-read it and relise now that it was shit. I'd like it to return though as I'd like another crack at it as it was fun. It was the first time I'd ever written a script of any description and it would be nice to see how I'd do this time round. :)

I think I did the Old Guys too.

Nothing ever seems to have happened with the winner though has it?

Quote: Chimes of Freedom @ February 9, 2008, 9:16 AM

I wouldn't take much notice of the LL comp as a guide to talent.

Some of the finalists' scripts were very 'average'. There's funnier stuff posted on this forum every day.

One of the finalists wrote a Carla Lane ending which, like Carla's own stuff, was well-written comedy drama without being ten-laughs-a-minute. I thought the ending was excellent but it didn't go down well with the judges. I assume, because one of the judges was from 'Two Pints', they thought it needed more knob gags.

Another entry I liked wasn't particularly funny but, God, it was slick. When I first read it, I thought a pro writer had sneaked an entry in. That one didn't win, either.

I think the LL judging panel wanted ten cheap laughs a minute, plenty of knob gags and to hell with anything else.

A bit like Two Pints, really.

How did you read them? Were you on the judging panel?

Quote: David Chapman @ February 9, 2008, 6:13 PM

I think I did the Old Guys too.

Nothing ever seems to have happened with the winner though has it?

How did you read them? Were you on the judging panel?

A lot of them were posted in the last laugh forum on writersdock

Quote: Chimes of Freedom @ February 9, 2008, 6:23 PM

I might be a BBC insider.

Alternatively, the writer might have posted his ending on Writers Dock.

I've never heard of Writers Dock before today - but it seems that it doesn't have much of a reputation.

Writers dock have now scrubbed the LL forum and all the posts on it have gone, goddam mf sock puckers!

I did 'great minge miss milton' and came everywhere.