Doctor Who... Page 768

Making the reasons for unexplained real world events alien encounters with the Doctor has been identified as one of the principal factors the earlier show foundered.

The great fire of London being started by the Terrileptils (SP?) in 'The Visitation' or the dinosaurs being wiped out by the ship crashing in 'Earthshock'.

Not content with f**king about with Van Gogh, Churchill and the moon landings Moffat is now rescuing Hitler from his bunker. The c**t's an idiot. I imagine him sitting at home hitting a row of bullets with a hammer.

This is how the show died first time round - arsehole-gazing, continuity-heavy camp crap. It won't happen in the same way as before, because the budgets will mean the show will still look good, but the viewers will start to leave and it will become slightly less sexy and relevant and talked about and in a few years it will be dropped. This is how it starts.

Moffat needs to go now.

You missed out Pompeii and the whole lexicon inspired by it.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ July 26 2011, 1:40 PM BST

Making the reasons for unexplained real world events alien encounters with the Doctor has been identified as one of the principal factors the earlier show foundered.

It barely ever happened, certainly not enough for viewers to leave back then.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ July 26 2011, 1:40 PM BST

Moffat needs to go now.

Well he won't be, certainly not for another series or two anyway.

Gillan seems to be sporting a rather fetching retro haircut in one of those Mail photos from Comic-Con.

I wish Matt Smith would get a good haircut. He's got a very annoying flop going on.

Quote: chipolata @ July 26 2011, 2:03 PM BST

I wish Matt Smith would get a good haircut. He's got a very annoying flop going on.

Get back to the 40s, grandpa.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ July 26 2011, 2:04 PM BST

Get back to the 40s, grandpa.

Can it, Beard Boy.

*Strokes beard*

Quote: Matthew Stott @ July 26 2011, 1:49 PM BST

It barely ever happened, certainly not enough for viewers to leave back then.

Sorry but it happened all the time under JNT. I gave two good examples - there are many more.

Rememberance of the Daleks for example has the daleks returning to Coal Hill Lane School (An Unearthly Child) in 1963 to search for the Hand of Omega. Throughout there are references to William Hartnell's doctor.

This sort of self-reflection delights some fans but it turns off the ordinary viewer (who begins to view the show as a cult) and it inhibits the introduction of new characters/planets/situations.

Moffat is becoming a worse offender than JNT - in A Good Man goes to War he was happy to have the end of Jack the Ripper's reign explained by him being eaten by a lesbian silurian wielding a Japanese sword.

Don't forget he's actually colonised the whole of human history with The Silence. No doubt in the next series he will explain how almost every significant historical event is down to them.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ July 26 2011, 3:30 PM BST

Sorry but it happened all the time under JNT. I gave two good examples - there are many more.

Rememberance of the Daleks for example has the daleks returning to Coal Hill Lane School (An Unearthly Child) in 1963 to search for the Hand of Omega. Throughout there are references to William Hartnell's doctor.

I was talking about the historical thing, not references to the shows own past. Obviously too many continuity references can alienate some viewers; that's different.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ July 26 2011, 3:30 PM BST

Moffat is becoming a worse offender than JNT - in A Good Man goes to War he was happy to have the end of Jack the Ripper's reign explained by him being eaten by a lesbian silurian wielding a Japanese sword.

?

Too soon?

Quote: Tim Azure @ July 26 2011, 3:50 PM BST

?

Too soon?

Well, obviously! In Victorian England lesbianism was very much a behind closed doors kind of thing.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ July 26 2011, 1:55 PM BST

Gillan seems to be sporting a rather fetching retro haircut in one of those Mail photos from Comic-Con.

I think she's playing 60s model Jean Shrimpton in something or other.

Quote: Marc P @ July 26 2011, 3:53 PM BST

Well, obviously! In Victorian England lesbianism was very much a behind closed doors kind of thing.

But I suppose beastiality was fine though.

I detest all the 'new' Doctor Who shows with a passion

ive been buying some of the old Tom Baker shows on DVD lately

ok the special effects are SHIIIIIIIIT!! but I still think they are a million times more entertaining than the overblown nonsence of recent years