Doctor Who... Page 703

"So to have some twit who came to a press launch, write up a story in the worst, most ham-fisted English you can imagine, and put it on the internet (is heartbreaking).

Why Steven Moffat is angry with the Doctor Who fans who spoiled the plot
"I just hope that guy never watched my show again, because that's a horrific thing to do."

He said the majority of Doctor Who fans were "spoiler-phobes" who refused to go online for fear of finding out any information in advance.

"They want to preserve the surprise," he said. "The tragedy is you have to work hard at that now."

Moffat said he believed that keeping elements of storylines under wraps was an essential element in drama.

"Stories depend on shocking people," he said.

"Stories are the moments that you didn't see coming, that are what live in you and burn in you forever.

"If you are denied those, it's vandalism."

Moffat is such a girl - and precious with it. Vandalism? You c**t. The only tragedy I can see is that you're in unilateral charge of the show.

Also enjoyed the snobbery of 'in the most ham-fisted language you can imagine'. Well, I can imagine some pretty indigestible sausage-shaped verbal tripe. I heard it in the last series. Even the last episode had swathes (appropriate image) of utterly undistinguished dialogue.

I suppose if you make the show into one endless teased-out cliffhanger with random characters popping up left right and centre then you need to keep secrets.

You can hear Moffat's terror in these quotes. He was always an anal plotsmith, carving and weaving intricate and improbable storylines in that sitcom of his - in fact the show was predicated on on it. Now he's doing it in Who. But the stand out moments in the history of the programme prior to his involvement have not been to do with elaborately fret-sawed plots, more to do with good dramatic writing and brilliant production design - something that's been left to slide since the show came back.

There's more money but some of the design work has been appalling. Leaving aside atrocities like the flared-trousered Cybermen, The Silence were a case in point - a pair of rubber gloves and a mask. Like something out of an Ed Wood movie. There hasn't been anything to match the brilliant work of John Friedlander, who sculpted the original Davros head and the Draconians and the Kraals.

Surprise is a part of all writing, but with Moffat you start to think that's all he's got. Hence the unusually aggressive language in the interview. One 'idiot' fan can blow Moffat's load prematurely, like tickling the balls of a wanker in a bukkake movie before the shot's set up.

Quote: Badge @ May 9 2011, 11:33 PM BST

Pirates episode was neither here nor there. Not a disaster but not likely to top any fan polls. I wish they really would kill someone now and then though, rather than pretend to.

Anyone think the automated sick bay idea was a bit too similar to the nanobots from The Empty Child?

I didn't understand the singing part at all. She was an alien sick-bay hologram that sings at her patients to anaesthetise them, was that it? Why? Was it ever explained why she uses music and why only people who she's taken a tissue sample from are affected by her voice? If it was I must've missed it.

Oh and the appearing through reflective surfaces thing...why didn't she just appear through their eyes?

And while I'm on, why didn't she destroy the Doctor with her firey fingers when he sneezed? Oh, because he threw the snotty hankie away, which she then destroyed. But surely the Doctor still has a cold? Pretty thick then ain't she? But no, because the doctor said she may be virtual but she's super-intelligent enough to recognise Amy's wedding ring as proof that she won't harm her patient.

And would Amy really have given up so early whilst trying to resuscitate Rory? F**k me, she only gave him 6 puffs (Which she did wrongly, by the way, she didn't tilt his head back or cover his nose so any air would've come straight back out of his hooter).

Oh and then we see the pirate captain at the end, an 18th cebtury scurvy sea-dog effortlessly piloting a sophisticted alien spacecraft off through space. "Just point me to the atom accelerator" he said.

Pah.

FFS.

In The Night Garden has pretty wonky logic too.

You're right of course Lee. You could also have asked how did the tissue sample get taken? And many other things. But despite all those things I didn't find it terrible.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ May 13 2011, 3:08 PM BST

FFS.

If it's done with enough style and verve then you're willing to overlook the odd hole in the plot. In fact you barely even notice the flaws. But if it's as plodding and dreary as the Pirates episode then you start to notice the glaring inconsistencies in the plot.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ May 13 2011, 3:08 PM BST

FFS.

Ah but this isn't a kid's TV show, as I was informed earlier in the thread, so I'm allowed to pick it apart. :D

Seriously though, people say comedy is the hardest thing to write, I reckon sci-fi must be harder, simply because to maintain the suspension of disbelief the writer has to be shit-hot at not leaving any loose ends, or at least hiding them. And the editor has to be very careful what he chops too. By the way did anyone else notice one of the bloody pirates disappeared as well?

Anyway.

EDIT::: Wrote that reply while under the infl. of strong painkillers for ear infection . Removed because it was shit and wrong and embarrssing. Sick

Name one, just one episode of In The Night Garden with wonky logic.

It's like a swiss watch with it's precision engineering.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ May 12 2011, 12:50 AM BST

I try to avoid books called The Tentacles of Gnubb or similar.

Laughing out loud

Quote: chipolata @ May 13 2011, 3:32 PM BST

If it's done with enough style and verve then you're willing to overlook the odd hole in the plot.

No argument with that either. There are bits of The Empty Child and - dare I say it - Blink that don't make much sense when you analyse them, but those episodes were brilliant.

Anyway, I can forgive the pirates episodes a few plot flaws. It certainly didn't leave me wanting to throw things at the screen like the Silurians and Van Gogh episodes of the last series (helpline notwithstanding). The feeling persists, though, that Moff is so keen on being clever-clever with his story arc that he encourages people to look for inconsistencies. No surprises then that they should be pointed out.

Quote: Lee Henman @ May 13 2011, 10:52 PM BST

By the way did anyone else notice one of the bloody pirates disappeared as well?

Quote: Timbo @ May 8 2011, 8:30 PM BST

unless I blinked Lee Ross's comeuppance ended on the editing room floor

Quote: Timbo @ May 14 2011, 9:32 AM BST

See page 713 when I mentioned the amazing disappearing pirate but who cares. Sometimes I feel like Sootyj. Ignored.

affirmation

excelsior!

Quote: KLRiley @ May 14 2011, 10:05 AM BST

See page 713 when I mentioned the amazing disappearing pirate but who cares. Sometimes I feel like Sootyj. Ignored.

What's one disappearing pirate compared to hundreds of thousands of disappearing viewers?

The first few episodes have held up just fine in the ratings.