Doctor Who... Page 446

Really good episode!

By the way, Mike Skinner is a friend of director Adam Smith, who directed a bunch of videos for The Streets.

On the one hand a pretty good bit of Who.

On the flip it took one of the most eccentric of Who villains and destroyed all that was original in it.

The Angels break necks and speak? How well pedestrian. The trick of the original was it was a rare Who that was actually about time travel.

There's a point where Who needs to I dunno strive for something more original.

Quote: sootyj @ April 24 2010, 11:24 PM BST

On the one hand a pretty good bit of Who.

On the flip it took one of the most eccentric of Who villains and destroyed all that was original in it.

The Angels break necks and speak? How well pedestrian. The trick of the original was it was a rare Who that was actually about time travel.

There's a point where Who needs to I dunno strive for something more original.

An outstanding episode and you greet it with a moan and a shrug? Cor blimey, it's true that you can't please all the people all the time, a fan will always find something to moan about! :D

No it was a good episode.

Just well it's sort of a sequel to Blink and it wasn't as good.

Just read the first preview of the next episode, Flesh and Stone (with video clip) - looks amazing ... I can't wait! http://www.beehivecity.com/television/preview-doctor-who-flesh-and-stone20362010/

Quote: sootyj @ April 25 2010, 10:56 AM BST

No it was a good episode.

Just well it's sort of a sequel to Blink and it wasn't as good.

I think I actually preferred it.

I'm definitely getting old, following a complaint to The Radio Times a few days ago (about a Gervais interview) I've just fired this off to the Beeb.

"What on Earth?! A cartoon Graham Norton prancing about in front of Matt Smith's face, completely ruining what should have been a tense, exciting cliffhanger!! Who thought that was a good idea? Next time, as Charlie Brooker requested, why not just smear bum muck over the final scene, it would achieve much the same end result. Disgusting contempt for Dr Who and for the viewers."

No where near as bad as Virgin. Who squish the last minutes of Startrek into a small box and turn the volume off.

Blink was intricate and clever. It was also a rarity that actually looked at how time travel could work and had a clockwork precision.

This one was good, excelent even. Way better than most of the scifi crap.

But once they gave the Angel a voice and made it snap necks. It kinda tainted the illusion a little.

The cartoon on the bottom of the screen seems a sad attempt to smear Dr Who magic on BBC crap.

Quote: sootyj @ April 25 2010, 11:13 AM BST

actually looked at how time travel could work and had a clockwork precision.

Actually, the opening bit was quite clever, the twelve thousand years later, or whatever the caption was, and The Doctor finding that message. Bright stuff.

Stepping back in time (as Australia is a couple of weeks behind in broadcasting Doctor Who), I just watched the UK starship on the whale episode and thought it was rubbish. Matt Smith is behaving far too much like David Tennant, and there is way too much cloying sentimental guff. It even opened with that horrible music - the female faux operatic dirge - as the redhead floated in space. Awful. And the bloody hugging. Enough to deter a devoted Who viewer from watching any more. Not that I'll stop watching though.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 25 2010, 11:19 AM BST

Actually, the opening bit was quite clever, the twelve thousand years later, or whatever the caption was, and The Doctor finding that message. Bright stuff.

True that was good in a pleasingly cheesy Bondian kinda way. There was a heck of a lot to like and it was a good episode. The realisation that the statues had the wrong number of heads was inspired.

Quote: Kenneth @ April 25 2010, 11:28 AM BST

Matt Smith is behaving far too much like David Tennant, and there is way too much

Oh, I don't agree at all, his Doctor seems so obviously different.

Quote: Kenneth @ April 25 2010, 11:28 AM BST

It even opened with that horrible music - the female faux operatic dirge - as the redhead floated in space. Awful.

Yeah, that bit was really good! A little fairytale/magical. And just sort of cool.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 25 2010, 11:06 AM BST

I've just fired this off to the Beeb.

"What on Earth?! A cartoon Graham Norton prancing about in front of Matt Smith's face, completely ruining what should have been a tense, exciting cliffhanger!! Who thought that was a good idea? Next time, as Charlie Brooker requested, why not just smear bum muck over the final scene, it would achieve much the same end result. Disgusting contempt for Dr Who and for the viewers."

It is annoying enough when they squeeze out the credits, but that was just jaw dropping. Further confirmation that the Beeb has lost the plot.

Desperate to spread some BBC goodwill over the rest of Saturday night.

As David "c**ting whore of Murdoch" Cameron as I believe he is properly known sharpens the knives.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 25 2010, 11:43 AM BST

Oh, I don't agree at all, his Doctor seems so obviously different.

Too similar by far in the whale episode. It could have just as easily been Tennant doing and saying all that stuff. I felt ill when the "last of my kind" guff was mentioned yet again.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 25 2010, 11:43 AM BST

Yeah, that bit was really good! A little fairytale/magical. And just sort of cool.

Doctor Who isn't supposed to be a magical fairytale show with cloying music lifted from Titanic.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 25 2010, 10:53 AM BST

An outstanding episode and you greet it with a moan and a shrug?

Yes. Sorry. Let's try and get back to naked hagiography.

Bottom line i, it's been a good series so far, but nothing spectacular.