Doctor Who... Page 365

They were being turned into Weeping Angels I think.

Although she wasn't one of those two was she?

Quote: zooo @ January 1 2010, 10:15 PM GMT

They were being turned into Weeping Angels I think.

Which f**ks with the perfectly adequate backstory these aliens were given in the terrific Blink. Hence my concerns that Moffat may about to go all Highlander 2 on his masterpiece.

Quote: zooo @ January 1 2010, 10:16 PM GMT

Although she wasn't one of those two was she?

I'm pretty certain she was facepalming in the final confrontation scene.

Wasn't their backstory that no one knows where they came from?

I was about to link to the Doctor Who wiki, but I fear this discussion is making me look like an absolute saddo. I don't even particularly like DW.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ January 1 2010, 10:23 PM GMT

I don't even particularly like DW.

Oh.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 1 2010, 10:49 PM GMT

Oh.

But I'm a massive fan of Stephen Moffat. :)

(edit: though clearly not massive enough to spell his name right)

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ January 1 2010, 10:51 PM GMT

But I'm a massive fan of Stephen Moffat. :)

Well, if you don't like the show all that much, it's unfortunate in some ways that his Who episodes are the best work he's ever done! :D (Said as someone who is a fan of his other work too)

Quote: hotzappa11 @ January 1 2010, 9:15 PM GMT

Every scene with Bernard Cribbins was fantastic. Timothy Dalton was great. Matt Smith at the end was so exiciting - "Legs! I've still got legs!" There's a trailer on: http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/

Looks like Geronimo is his [Smith's] new catchphrase (replacing Allons-y).

I thought these two specials were poor overall. Confusing, full of plot holes and over-egged. I do agree that Cribbins was fantastic (as ever) and Dalton was pretty good, for a limited time. Simm though was very disappointing, I much preferred his first outing.

In the end it all got a bit Bill & Ted with the Timelords and the Master. Sad to see Tennant go though, he's been a good Doctor.

I like it when The Doctor overcomes intriguing problems with ingenuity, as Moffat gave us in Blink. RTD doesn't do this, he has The Doctor anguish over emotional issues. I couldn't care less about whether the Doctor helps Captain Jack get laid, nor am I interested in Rose's mum or Sarah Jane's boys. I don't like seeing The Doctor sit and give an indulgent monologue, especially since it doesn't advance the plot.

I had very low expectations for The End of Time, but even so, I was gravely disappointed. Goodbye RTD, I won't miss you.

I thought the last two episodes were confusing and because of that quite boring! And why was he so worried about killing the Master when it turns out all he had to do was shoot that machine? Which I'd forgotten what it does by that point anyway.

The only bit I liked was the end (that's not a joke), the last 10 minutes or so were a good farewell to a great Doc.

Because RTD always bottles it with DW. I mean this is the guy who killed Christ in the second coming but with this show he always loses his nerve.

When the Dr took the shooter it genuinely made me jump a bit. But I wanted to see more of Galifrey whats wrong with slowly revealing what happened to the Time Lords?

I must have watched that trailer for the next series about fifty times now. It. Looks. Awesome. I think Matt Smith is really going to make the role his own; as much as I loved Tennant in the role, it was definitely time for him to move on.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 2 2010, 1:13 PM GMT

I must have watched that trailer for the next series about fifty times now. It. Looks. Awesome.

Oh Matt, what I would give to have just 10% of your optimism. Unfortunately I can't get excited about any new British sci-fi production as we seem to do it so badly in this country.

Just once, I'd like to tune into a show and get totally immersed in the 'universe', but I've got the funny feeling I'll be constantly pulled out of the disbelief with the usual 'oh look, it's people in costumes in a disused quarry near Swansea' or 'hey, it's that actor bloke off thingy'.

It's almost as if everyone involved is embarrassed to be there - the writer, the producer and the director all treat the genre as if it's kids television and seemingly beneath them.

Perhaps it's the orders from above, after all, the Beeb pulls out all of the stops for their period rubbish - Dickens, Austen, Shakey Spear, etc. So maybe the channel controllers are too blame, forcing sci-fi to remain ghettoised.

I guess I can't take it seriously until they do. I hope I'm wrong and Moffat's Doctor Who is a turning point for British television, but I somehow doubt it.

Quote: Griff @ January 2 2010, 2:02 PM GMT

I think the opposite is true about Doctor Who. The production values are fantastic, the cast are giving it welly, and they tend to avoid too much stunt casting. (Peter Kay notwithstanding).

Yup, the people who work on Who, it seems to me, love it.

Quote: Griff @ January 2 2010, 2:02 PM GMT

Nogget has hit the nail on the head though. The stories are rubbish. I want to see the Doctor overcoming obstacles with brilliance and ingenuity, not a load of handwaving nonsense that doesn't make any sense so you don't care what happens, and a load of manipulative "emotional" scenes where the gloopy overbearing soundtrack is telling us we ought to feel sad, but the characters are all so flimsy that I couldn't care two hoots about them. Good riddance to the Russell T.Davies era.

I think we'll see more of what you're hoping for in the Moffatt era.
I remember reading an interview with him where, unusually, he more or less came out and said what the new series had done with the Cybermen was rubbish.

Personally I've loved a lot of the RTD era of the show; he made Who more or less the biggest show on TV again, and I can't imagine anyone thinking that would happen at the start of the decade. I understand why people gripe about him, but there has been brilliance on show at times during these past few series, and he, even if his name isn't at the start of an episode, will often have been behind it. Only Moffatt's episodes don't have drafts actually written by RTD himself. Having said that, I think Moffatt is better suited to the show and I'm very hopeful that the next few years might be a golden age for Who. It's just a pity Tennant didn't get to star in a Moffatt run series of the show.

Quote: Blue Bottle @ November 17 2009, 11:06 AM GMT

So you think Russell T Davies and his team, coming to the end of their tenure on Doctor Who, just couldn't be bothered to work out an interesting way for the Doctor to get out of this situation (as if that was difficult) and said, what the hell, let him use the Tardis? When rule number one for any new script writer on Doctor Who is (1) The Doctor never uses the Tardis to escape.

Or maybe Russell T Davies and his team are not moronic, witless, dullard hacks and are actually aware that this is a taboo for Doctor Who; that there is a dramatic purpose to the script; that showing the Doctor break such a hard and fast rule shows the line has been crossed, that this is not the Doctor as you know him any more.

Maybe you are right and they don't give a damn. Maybe they are happy to phone-in a substandard script and can't wait to move on. Or maybe they want to make this the best send off they can and unfortunately this is going over some people's heads?

Griff it obviously went over your head.