A great idea for all writer's 40 year's plus.

Not that I wish to be divisive but I feel there is probably the need for a forum for all us writer's that are knocking on a bit.

If you are more at home with 'Morecambe and Wise' and 'Tommy Cooper' than 'The Mighty Boosh' and 'Bo Selecta' please contact me. It's difficult keeping up with the 'cutting edge' of Comedy and I feel it would be good to have a place to go to where we could discuss people like Peter Cook and Dudley Moore without the fear of ridicule from other forum contributor's. If anyone else thinks this is a good idea contact me or add to this thread. Many thanks

Kent Pete

P.S I was thinking of having a secret forum only accessible by proof of age and by quoting a classic Cooper line such as,

"I backed a horse today at 20 to 1. It came in at twenty past four ". or

"A man walked into the doctor's, he said 'I've broke my arm in several places'.The doctor said 'Well don't go to those places '"

What do you think ??

I love M and W and Tommy, but I think an insomniac's club might be more useful. ;)

What if I'm over 40 and like the Mighty Boosh?

I'm under 40 and love Tommy Cooper and Peter Cook so why should I be omitted? Also, I know people who are over forty and don't like them just like there are always people who do or don't like anything now. I don't think its automatic that if you are over 40 you will like something.

Just start an appreciation thread and stop being prejudiced - a sign of old age :-p

He said 'I'm going to chop off the bottom of one of your trouser legs and put it in a library. I thought, "That's a turn-up for the books."

And I'm 31, ya bloomin' ageist!

Quote: ContainsNuts @ November 27, 2007, 9:04 AM

I'm under 40 and love Tommy Cooper and Peter Cook so why should I be omitted? Also, I know people who are over forty and don't like them just like there are always people who do or don't like anything now. I don't think its automatic that if you are over 40 you will like something.

Just start an appreciation thread and stop being prejudiced - a sign of old age :-p

I was just thinking that prejuduice (about old age) was also a sign of young age!

"The only difference between being young and old is that the old know what it's like to be young" - "Old" saying

The trouble can be that young people cannot forgive old people for having been young! Many young folks like to think that they have discovered the World before the old did! Chinese society has a better view of the old (or it did), the old there are quite rightly revered for what they know and have seen!

I like The Mighty Boosh! They seem to me to be a very traditional double act following on quite nicely from the likes of Morecambe and Wise and Pete and Dud!

I am over 40 and couldn't care less about that except for the prejudice of others and the fact that the older you get, the nearer to death you are!!!

Frankie, you are one of the least 'old' sounding people on here :)

And by that I mean: I thinking your f**king immature! ;)

Quote: ContainsNuts @ November 27, 2007, 11:33 AM

Frankie, you are one of the least 'old' sounding people on here :)

And by that I mean: I thinking your f**king immature! ;)

Well, as you're under 40 what would you f**king know? ;)

Ageist swine! ;)

Over forty and proud to wear slippers.

Guess that's another idea that's gone tits up then

Well, I'm over 40 (44) and the comedy I remember and like runs from the mid 70s to the late 80s, so for me, it's the Young Ones and alternative comedy alongside Fawlty Towers, Reggie Perrin and so on. I can recall watching Doctor in the House on sunday evenings before bedtime as a child (7.30 pm), not to mention On the Buses and similar stuff. Peter Cook & Dudley Moore are a bit before my time. Maybe an over 50s thread!? Mind you, good stuff is good stuff, and if you like it aged 18 or 65, then what can you say.

I like the idea. You could have one for old comedy, rather than old people though.
Then I can join!

Quote: Bad dog @ November 27, 2007, 2:34 PM

Well, I'm over 40 (44) and the comedy I remember and like runs from the mid 70s to the late 80s, so for me, it's the Young Ones and alternative comedy alongside Fawlty Towers, Reggie Perrin and so on. I can recall watching Doctor in the House on sunday evenings before bedtime as a child (7.30 pm), not to mention On the Buses and similar stuff. Peter Cook & Dudley Moore are a bit before my time. Maybe an over 50s thread!? Mind you, good stuff is good stuff, and if you like it aged 18 or 65, then what can you say.

Everybody should search for Peter Cook and Dudley Moore tapes. Half of their shows have been wiped but there's still some classic sketches on compilation DVDs and a lot of scripts are collected in books like 'Goodbye Again' and 'Sadly, I Was An Only Twin'.

Quote: zooo @ November 27, 2007, 3:02 PM

I like the idea. You could have one for old comedy, rather than old people though.
Then I can join!

Exactly, I mean I love Chaplin and Laurel & Hardy too but I'm going to struggle to find many people who remember when their stuff first went out. Just start a thread about the Cookster or whoever and we'll all enjoy it.

:O Do old people know you're watching their stuff?!

It's a good idea to look at all comedy (old and new) not just the stuff you liked from when you were 15 to 25. That applies to all of us I reckon. ;)