Gardening

I'm amazed there is no thread on this subject, so here we are. 😎 It's sunny, so have me shades on.

So, first grass cut of the season, and I say "grass" in the loosest possible terms, as the moss seems to have had a field day over the winter, and the bloody slugs have been at my wild primroses, which I am very pissed off about as they are one of the highlights of my year when they burst into bloom - lifts my heart to see them in early Spring.

And one bit of good news - a clematis I planted two years ago, which looked dead last year, has sprung into life! So, a bit of training and feeding is planned for this afternoon.

I love moss. If I could have a garden full of moss I'd be happy.
Loads of tulips and primroses have popped up this year that I'm sure weren't there the last few years.

There is the Do You Grow thread

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/14769/

But it sort of morphed into something fairly Fruit & Veg specific.

Clematis can look dead as a doornail - especially if you don't prune them in the appropriate way for their 'type' - which I can never remember as the label inevitably gets lost.
A lovely time of year, I agree.
But the job soon start to pile up

I'll leave it to admin to decide whether this is thread duplication.
But if we stick to plants etc on this one and edibles on the other , I can't see it being an issue.

I have just bought some cherry tomato seeds. A tumbling variety.
I'm going to grow them in hanging baskets down the side of the house, in and among my wife's flower ones.

A heather rockery is the big project this year.
It's one of those things that's going to look shit for a few years - so currently trying to think of ways to mitigate this.
Also need to put an edge on the better half's new, expanded rose bed.

All my plants are in pots, as I'm in a flat. Lots of them, most doing well. I repotted a passion flower yesterday, and trained it against a wall with an arrangement of wires.
This is the most boring thing I've ever posted.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 7th April 2023, 12:21 PM

So, first grass cut of the season, and I say "grass" in the loosest possible terms

I did the same a few days ago. My backyard (or garden, if you prefer) is in bad shape. We had a brutal drought last year, and despite spending a thousand or more dollars on watering it, the grass is dead in many areas. I think a hard freeze did a number on the remaining grass.

We were almost 30 inches below our normal rainfall last year, and we're down about 3 inches in 2033, but rain is predicted for the next few days, so hopefully, we'll catch up. Our droughts usually last about 18 months, so I think we're in for a decent year.

I gave up on gardening. Deer, possums, raccoons, armadillos, and squirrels are the only beneficiaries, so it's not worth the labor.

Quote: Lazzard @ 7th April 2023, 12:49 PM

There is the Do You Grow thread

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/14769/

But it sort of morphed into something fairly Fruit & Veg specific.

Clematis can look dead as a doornail - especially if you don't prune them in the appropriate way for their 'type' - which I can never remember as the label inevitably gets lost.
A lovely time of year, I agree.
But the job soon start to pile up

I'll leave it to admin to decide whether this is thread duplication.
But if we stick to plants etc on this one and edibles on the other , I can't see it being an issue.

Yes, I have read the "Do You Grow" thread, but I wanted to post about the general running of a garden, with its trials and tribulations, and not specific food growing as such.

There is room for two, I think. 🙂

It's bonfire time for my garden. I have a 56-gallon drum with holes drilled in it as a brazier. It's great fun for me to light and feed and as a bonus, it annoys those c**ts next door.

Poor ozone layer 🙄

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 8th April 2023, 12:11 AM

Yes, I have read the "Do You Grow" thread, but I wanted to post about the general running of a garden, with its trials and tribulations, and not specific food growing as such.

There is room for two, I think. 🙂

Yes, gardens are for much more than just growing things, and I think you should run a competition for best kept garden with posters' pics. No cheating, posting the gardens of Versailles as your own, Stephen.

Quote: DaButt @ 7th April 2023, 4:59 PM

I gave up on gardening. Deer, possums, raccoons, armadillos, and squirrels are the only beneficiaries, so it's not worth the labor.

Could give you some good shooting practice though.

Viburnum "Mohawk"
If you haven't got one - get one.
Not particularly fussy.
Currently filling the garden with scent.
If Spring's your thing - this is the fellah.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 8th April 2023, 11:54 AM

Yes, gardens are for much more than just growing things, and I think you should run a competition for best kept garden with posters' pics. No cheating, posting the gardens of Versailles as your own, Stephen.

I told him he'd get found out one day................here's my entry with my modest back garden :-

Just installed a squirrel trap in the greenhouse.
Cheeky f**ker's had my squash seeds - straight out of the pots!

I hesitate to ask if it's... a humane trap...?

Maybe I'm better off not knowing.