Rob Newman - History of The World Backwards

Here's a thread for Rob Newman's new sketch show - History of The World Backwards - which starts on BBC4 tonight at 10pm.

The Radio Times hasn't been particularly complimentary ("flat, preachy and at times over-complicated"); but the preview videos I've seen look quite good. We'll have to wait and see I guess...

Quote: Mark @ October 30, 2007, 1:27 PM

preachy

That's what may put me off. But thanks Mark I'll still give it a go.

how was it? I had to go out last night.

Never fear; it's tonight.

Give me Newman being preachy over Baddiel being....Baddiel any day of the proverbial week.

Yayyyyyyyyyyyy!
Bollocks to the radio times!
They probably would have said his oil stand up thingy was preachy too and I loved that.

the clip is very funny. i wish i'd thought of it.

Hmmmm.

the clip doesn't seem to be what the title suggests.

I thought history of the world backwards was a brilliant idea. This isn't that though is it.

I haven't watched the clip, but have you read the description on here...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/proginfo/tv/wk44/tue.shtml#tue_history

sounds good to me.

Were you hoping for Dinosaurs playing playstation?

Or just everyone throwing gadgets and possessions away until they are left with caves?

Pretty good clip actually, I'm intrigued...

This looks and sounds great, screw the Radio Times, it got a good write up in The Guardian.

Quote: zooo @ October 30, 2007, 3:12 PM

I haven't watched the clip, but have you read the description on here...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/proginfo/tv/wk44/tue.shtml#tue_history

sounds good to me.

Now that sounds more like it.

Quote: ContainsNuts @ October 30, 2007, 3:13 PM

Were you hoping for Dinosaurs playing playstation?

not at all, but after watching the clip of AG Bell on a sexline Dinosaurs playing playstation wouldn't have surprised me.

Thankfully the description above has disabused me of that notion.

Quote: zooo @ October 30, 2007, 1:42 PM

Yayyyyyyyyyyyy!
Bollocks to the radio times!
They probably would have said his oil stand up thingy was preachy too and I loved that.

Lovey

See that? That's you, that is.

I loved the Newman And Baddiel series when it was on (why isnt it out on DVD?) and Im looking forward to seeing what this is like.

Can't wait to see what Rob Newman will come up with. As a 90's indie boy at the very least it will be nostalgic. If you actually go back and look at the solo set that Rob Newman performed during the 'record-breaking' Wembley gig with Baddiel, it is actually incredibly thoughtful and intelligent comedy by the standards of some of today's 'top' stand-ups. Ricky Gervais' 'saying the unsayable' in a self-knowing manner was pretty much what Rob Newman and Stewart Lee were doing (perhaps ahead of their time) in the 90's.

Trivia question: Which stand-up was the support act for the Wembley Newman & Baddiel shows, who (undeservedly) pretty much got ignored of the stage by Mary Whitehouse Experience fans?