Rob Newman - History of The World Backwards Page 2

Sean Lock. Or Robin Ince...
Someone like that.

Although what 'that' is I don't know.

Quote: zooo @ October 30, 2007, 9:13 PM

Sean Lock. Or Robin Ince...
Someone like that.

Although what 'that' is I don't know.

Sean Lock indeed. Gold star to that man.

ahem.

When Rob Newman was 'the man' and all the women (oh, please don't say not me, 'cause it was 'not me', too) were mad for him my daughter got me to queue up for him to sign his book. My daughter was an A level student and I was a doting mum (on her, that is, not him) and so i got him to sign. He was rather sweet and asked who it was for and I told him about my 17(?)yr old and her mad mates.
He asked me if he could sign my arm and I said ok. He put, 'thank you for last night, love Rob'.
They didn't believe me then nearly tore me arm off when they saw it! I'm sure that it was his line but I've kinda liked him ever since!

I still haven't seen his History of Oil stand up show but apparently it's meant to be pure class, thoughtful, intelligent and packed with gags. Think it's out on DVD next week actually.

Oh and I loved The Mary Whitehouse Experience. Will be great to see Newman back on TV.

Quote: Martin Holmes @ October 30, 2007, 3:56 PM

This looks and sounds great, screw the Radio Times, it got a good write up in The Guardian.

but then again, they liked adam and shelley. "some kind of mad genius" i think was the quote. :O

Quote: johnny roulette @ October 30, 2007, 9:53 PM

but then again, they liked adam and shelley. "some kind of mad genius" i think was the quote. :O

Well yeah it's not a surprise, the Radio Times are always ridiculous with the stuff they like and don't like. So with them not liking this show, I'm fully expecting it to be great.

OK... I just watched this. Probably not the best thing to attempt when feeling a bit exhausted - I couldn't keep up with it. That said, I recognised...

Tennis pong sketch = good
Farmer newsreader sketch = poor

I think the clever premise of this show actually does more harm than good - rather than paying attention to the sketches I spent most of my time trying to work out which way time was flowing etc. Plus some of the sketches were clearly shoved into the idea - they didn't quite fit (for example the evil weed killer drink man).

Darn, I had no idea this was on and I missed it. Does this get repeated anytime this week as I'm a Rob Newman fan and this show sounds great.

Rob Newman's been away from pure comedy TV for a good while now.

Overally, glad to see him back.

Get the feeling he didn't have the control he needs over this. Has he compromised some of the material to make it lighter, I don't know? If this was a broadcast pilot episode 1 then it's still good, but perhaps the rest of the series will be more in his 'voice'.

Overally, I liked it, admire Rob Newman and will continue to tune-in.

(Rob Newman was never a 'lad' comedian, by the way. Oooh! Get me!)

AG Bell sketch was great in the advert

Wasn't so enamoured with the actual show

Quote: Magnus D @ October 31, 2007, 12:40 AM

Darn, I had no idea this was on and I missed it. Does this get repeated anytime this week as I'm a Rob Newman fan and this show sounds great.

You should read our home page - we try and point out each day's highlights ;)

The good news is, being a BBC4 show, it gets lots of repeats...

It's on again at 1:10am today (i.e. in an hour from now). Or if you miss that there's repeats on Saturday and Monday in the early hours of the morning.

p.s. Welcome to the site Magnus. Love the avatar!

Quote: marion @ October 30, 2007, 9:42 PM

When Rob Newman was 'the man' and all the women (oh, please don't say not me, 'cause it was 'not me', too) were mad for him

Me me! I was!
I was weird and fancied Baddiel too though.

So, I presume you haven't washed your arm in the meantime?

I thought that this was a really odd show, and not sure what to make of it yet. Good concept, some great observations, but some of it felt a bit strange even then. I think it'll take a couple of episodes to really settle down, so we'll see what next week's one is like.

i really wanted to like this but i hated it more than i've ever hated anything in the whole world ever.
not only was it not funny, it was preachy and smug and it made me want to tarmac over rainforests. it made me so angry.