Vintage adverts Page 7

Offers end 3 June 1972:

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 5th February 2022, 11:17 AM

Offers end 3 June 1972:

Damn. Just too late.

A quarter of tea 7 1/2 p
No tea bags in those days, we had to get tea leaves in our gobs at the end of a cup of tea.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 5th February 2022, 11:17 AM

Offers end 3 June 1972:

I see your 1972 Tesco and raise you a 1970 Fine Fare (whoever they were)

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 5th February 2022, 12:14 PM

No tea bags in those days, we had to get tea leaves in our gobs at the end of a cup of tea.

Cardboard box? Haven't they heard of a f**king tea strainer, oop North?

Fine Fare was the first supermarket in our town but didn't last long after Tesco arrived.
Tea bags were used by silly foreigners like the French.

As there's no point in posting any graphics at the moment, I thought I'd tell you about my Fine Fare experience.

During the late 60s I was a rep for Heinz, and Fine Fare were one of the firm's customers, along with others long gone, such as Victor Value, International Stores, Liptons etc.etc - can't remember them all now. The only supermarket chain we never called on was Sainsburys as they maintained they would do their own ordering, merchandising and promotions - to this day I still won't use them, arrogant bastards.

Also, in the early 60s I had just walked past the Fine Fare in the main high street, when I heard shouting, and on turning around I saw this bearded hippy type trying to run off and a woman with FF uniform on, hanging on to his sleeve for dear life and being dragged along the footpath.

"He's stolen my till money!! He's stolen my till money!! It'll come out of my wages!"

A couple of blokes grabbed him and he realised the game was up, and at that point some old boy confronted him, fists akimbo, and punched the thief in the gob. It was almost comical looking at the old boy's determined face.

Then the police turned up.

That's something else you don't see so much now - supermarkets actually in the town shopping centre, but then, supermarkets were much smaller.

We had a Fine Fare in my local town when I was a boy.
I seem to remember it was a no fuss supermarket. The products were still in the cardboard box's they were delivered in.
The tops were torn off and a woman would whiz round with the price labeller putting the price on every can of soup etc.

We had a Fine Fare in my Derby suburb on the site where the old Broadway cinema stood, demolished in '61. It's changed hands several times since through most of the major supermarket chains, just recently going from Co-Op to Heron Foods.

And we had a tea strainer :)

This part of your post on its own is also true;

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 6th February 2022, 10:03 AM

Then the police turned up.

That's something else you don't see so much now

Then, the main police station was smack bang in the middle of the town centre, about 200 yards away from the Fine Fare.

Quote: fasty @ 6th February 2022, 10:32 AM

And we had a tea strainer :)

Can you send Stephen a picture of it.

1954 - What a good wife

1999 Naughty Renault - would that be allowed now? Does it matter?