Vintage adverts Page 12

With FB - you upload the photo's to the FB server, so no need for links or fancy HTML
With this site, you can't do that or the server would be swamped with images taking up the limited space.

Using the html code image /image actually loads the picture on to your own computer/phone/tablet not the BCG server.

Maybe I'll make a post to explain it simply with screen shots.

To reiterate:

I originally put the photo I posted here on 25 Feb on my Facebook page, limiting those able to view it to just myself (unless you want other Facebook "friends" also to view it).

Then I right clicked on the photo itself and brought up a list of options.

From those options I left clicked on "copy image link" (or "copy image address" depending on the browser being used).

I then came on this page and pasted the image link/address and added the word image in square brackets at the front and then /image in square brackets at the end. Thus:

As billwill says above if you click on "quote" here you will see what the format looks like. You will see that the word "facebook" does not appear in the image address unlike in the links that Horse tried to post.

If you have posted correctly on these pages the image will appear virtually straight away. If it doesn't (ie just the word "image" appears or just a link like in Horse's post above) you know you haven't been successful. Delete the post and have another go. Trial and error...

(Maybe if you're having problems copying the image link/address from the photo on your facebook page it would be easier to left click on the photo in order to bring it up enlarged on a separate page)

This is using a computer or laptop. I can't speak for smart phones because I don't have one.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 27th February 2022, 9:50 AM

Been there, done it, a number of times over the years.

I ran out of ideas, and whatever you do, you'll lose Chappers after the first three words. ?

Now the dust has settled on leading Chappers and Horse by the hand - it seems ages since I posted on this thread

From 1939................

All that chocolate for only 12½p, OR the big box for 25p, AND Yes, "......LOOK AT THE LOVELY ALPINE GAME ON THE LID MUMMY"
Life was simple then.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 27th February 2022, 7:55 AM

Nor me, Horse and one or two others here who've said they can't do photos. What I can't understand with so many clever dick IT whizkids who can hack into Putin's Tinder account, is not one of them has developed a simple to use tool for ITiots to copy and post images, without all the brain numbing eye hurting fuss that exists now. There must be millions to be made for patenting such a thing and surely it can't be beyond anyone?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 27th February 2022, 9:36 AM

Hmmm, I'm as far from a techie as you could be and also ancient, but have no problem with posting them.

My only observation being it is a bit of a faff, and yes, hopefully someone can come up with something simpler. I know on FB you simply paste the photo/graphic from wherever without links, so don't understand why it cannot be the same on here.

Otherwise, all you frustrated posters - it only requires a little bit of effort.

~~~~~

The simplest method for the user is, as you say, that the relevant forum site provides the whole mechanism, like Facebook, but the problem there is that picture files are BIG; far bigger than a few lines of text, so sites that provide picture storage end up needing to charge for it. In Facebook's case this is done by loading the link with tracing and advertising codes, so sites like this one can't afford the space. So as Hercules says, your first task when you want to display a picture is to get it up onto the Internet where is can be seen by anyone (If they know the address). Several 'free' hosting sites for pictures exist, but as Hercules says their managers have a 'nasty' habit of letting you use them for free & then later imposing a fee for you to pay.

Next you want to point your forum text message to the picture in its Internet location (its URL) and mark that URL so that the forum software know that it must convert the marking and URL to the standard markup used by the viewing persons browser program. That standard markup 'language' is called HTML.

For this Comedy forum the mark for a picture is the word image enclosed in SQUARE brackets, then the URL, (NOT A LOCAL ADDRESS ON YOUR OWN COMPUTER), then the 'word' /image enclosed in SQUARE brackets. {It's not possible usually to show you exactly what to type because this forum's software will try to deal with it as a picture if I type it exactly right). However as I mentioned above if you click the QUOTE button of any message above that contains an image, the exact thing the posting person typed is displayed in your message edit box so you will see the words image and /image in square brackets.
NOTE WELL that there must NOT BE ANY SPACES IN THE URL OR BEFORE IT OR AFTER IT, i.e BETWEEN the ] of the word image and the [ of the word /image.

There are extra things that can be put in the picture marking, but don't bother with those until you know what you are doing in the simple cases.

Quote: billwill @ 27th February 2022, 7:21 PM

For this Comedy forum the mark for a picture is the word image enclosed in SQUARE brackets, then the URL, (NOT A LOCAL ADDRESS ON YOUR OWN COMPUTER), then the 'word' /image enclosed in SQUARE brackets. {It's not possible usually to show you exactly what to type because this forum's software will try to deal with it as a picture if I type it exactly right). However as I mentioned above if you click the QUOTE button of any message above that contains an image, the exact thing the posting person typed is displayed in your message edit box so you will see the words image and /image in square brackets.
NOTE WELL that there must NOT BE ANY SPACES IN THE URL OR BEFORE IT OR AFTER IT, i.e BETWEEN the ] of the word image and the [ of the word /image.

There are extra things that can be put in the picture marking, but don't bother with those until you know what you are doing in the simple cases.

I'm sorry to say Bill, Chappers and Co will not understand a word you have posted.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 27th February 2022, 9:50 AM

With FB - you upload the photo's to the FB server, so no need for links or fancy HTML
With this site, you can't do that or the server would be swamped with images taking up the limited space.

Using the html code image /image actually loads the picture on to your own computer/phone/tablet not the BCG server.

Yes do because "Using the html code image /image actually loads the picture on to your own computer/phone/tablet not the BCG server. " is nonsense or truly badly explained.

All this is making the use of a photo hosting site sound like a walk in the park

imgbb rules! OK?

That's one helluva code - should put Chappers or Horse off nicely ?

Used to love Kunzle cakes. They were for special occasions like when maiden aunts came to tea. Still lust after them regularly (the cakes, not the maiden aunts). As you can see:

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 26th September 2019, 7:58 AM

Kunzle cakes were the best cakes of my childhood . Alas long gone (both).

The younger generation don't know what they've missed from the 50s and 60s

Quote: billwill @ 27th February 2022, 11:33 PM

Yes do because "Using the html code image /image actually loads the picture on to your own computer/phone/tablet not the BCG server. " is nonsense or truly badly explained.

I won't bother explaining then

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 28th February 2022, 10:31 AM

The younger generation don't know what they've missed from the 50s and 60s

Is maiden aunts coming to tea still a thing?

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 28th February 2022, 12:16 PM

Is maiden aunts coming to tea still a thing?

Nah, it'd be social worker, innit.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 27th February 2022, 11:12 PM

I'm sorry to say Bill, Chappers and Co will not understand a word you have posted.

I've even forgotten what Aaron said about emojis/emoticons whatever.