Vintage adverts Page 5

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 2nd November 2021, 6:13 AM

1953 - Whatever happened to Flit, which was the number one fly killer, and DDT - you don't see that anymore ;)
[/image]

Ah, that explains the line in Only Fools and Horses where Del's considering naming his son Damien Derek Trotter, and Albert says "you can't call him that, his initials will be DDT", and Del says "then there'll be no flies on him, will there". Excuse my woeful ignorance but I never got that...

Quote: a plate @ 5th November 2021, 8:47 PM

Ah, that explains the line in Only Fools and Horses where Del's considering naming his son Damien Derek Trotter, and Albert says "you can't call him that, his initials will be DDT", and Del says "then there'll be no flies on him, will there". Excuse my woeful ignorance but I never got that...

Yes, I think it's banned in the UK, but is still used elsewhere in the world against mosquitoes. It's a very good insecticide, but is not good for the environment and can cause sterility, I seem to remember.

From 1959 - "Maltesers are a British confectionery product manufactured by Mars, Incorporated. First sold in the UK in 1937, they were originally aimed at women." Sexist bastards. That's 7½p a box! What are they now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTHlac9vga4

Yes! One of the best Hamlet ads - I have a DVD I trans from the original VHS promo vid. of the complete series that Hamlet put out on offer some years ago.

I did show you previous how to do this............................ ?

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 24th January 2022, 8:52 AM

1977..............About the time that the Ferguson name went downhill as it was bought up and made cheaply in the Far East

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 14th October 2021, 7:14 PM
I see you changed the title, Herc...????

Quote: Chappers @ 14th October 2021, 7:17 PM

What was it before?

Been a long time coming Chappers, but what made Aaron burst out laughing was the original thread title that I didn't give a thought to until I saw it writ large - "Period Adverts"....................

So, with a bit of irony, here's one from 1978, and yes, it is from a British magazine.

He's going to be disappointed ?
AND, she could have been a bit more considerate when she planned to revisit him ?

1970 That's just over 30p for 20 cigarettes - what do they cost now?!?

1932 - Buy yer kids a Christmas present and get some free fags!

Not those coupons, but Embassy coupons.
My grandma saved hers up to buy me my first tool when I started my apprenticeship at 15 and a half (Easter leaver)
It was a claw hammer with a hickory shaft.
I still have it today.