TPTV Films Page 8

I've been looking through the schedules.This channel is just my cup of tea.Shame I can't get it.
"Hell Drivers" coming up this week.And lots of other good stuff.

Quote: john tregorran @ 29th September 2019, 9:50 PM

I've been looking through the schedules.This channel is just my cup of tea.Shame I can't get it.
"Hell Drivers" coming up this week.And lots of other good stuff.

Not that it's any consolation, but up until about 6 months ago I didn't get it in my Virgin package and used to spit nails at some of the films I was missing. Keep praying. Angelic

Dangerous Voyage (1954)

Known as Terror Ship in the US (Grrrr Angry no wonder I had a job finding it on the IMDb), and not much to write home about. Only one actor I recognised, Vincent Ball (Australian actor now 95 it seems!! Good on yer cobbler) and a mish mash of a story.

"Dangerous" maybe but certainly no "Terror".

Stolen Assignment (1955)

I enjoyed this as a sort of light hearted thriller/murder if there is such a thing as there was a bit of banter throughout and a very funny fight scene at the end.

The talented and ubiquitous Eddie Byrne (with English accent this time) played the detective but apart from him, again no one of note.

AND there seems to be a tragic theme to these films I have been watching lately as again the leading lady (Hy Hazell) apparently choked to death on a steak while out dining in 1970. That's three now. :(

Choking to death on a steak.That's very rare.

Unimpressed

Bond of Fear (1956)

Cheaply made thriller about a killer on the run with a gun who hijacks a family going on holiday in a caravan to France, and he keeps the family's son hostage in the caravan until they get through a police road block, but once past that he decides to take the place of the father to further his escape to the continent.

As usual, no one of note in it, but quite good for a rainy Sunday afternoon.

There's some good ones coming up this week.Too many to mention:Kind hearts and coronets,The Family Way,Heavens Above,North West Frontier,some Will Hays,an Orson Welles....phew !just as well I can't get it otherwise I'd be glued to the box all day.

Quote: john tregorran @ 6th October 2019, 8:17 PM

There's some good ones coming up this week.Too many to mention:Kind hearts and coronets,The Family Way,Heavens Above,North West Frontier,some Will Hays,an Orson Welles....phew !just as well I can't get it otherwise I'd be glued to the box all day.

Yes, but I get stuck on these B movies, which I'm really enjoying (well, mostly) and fortunately all those you quote I have either seen recently or wouldn't be interested in. Trouble is my stack of unviewed DVDs piles up.

The Ringer (1952)

A master of disguise comes back from the dead to kill a dodgy lawyer - ludicrous plot and obvious who The Ringer is when he is Donald Wolfit, one of the most recognisable actors there ever was.

Had a number of actors of note, but Dr Who (William Hartnell) as a "Cor blimey luv a duck guvner" small time crook was a bit comical and unbelievable. Herbert Lom as the bent silk is the only one who comes out of this with any credit.

Main reviewer on the IMDb says "Great film, well worth watching. It keeps you in suspense." Er, no it doesn't.

Oh yes it's good to discover some little gem you hadn't seen before.
I think some of the reviewers on IMDB were involved in the films or drunk.

Danger Tomorrow (1960)

IMDb:- "A doctor and his wife move into an old house in an English village where he is to start a new job- over the next few days his wife begins to experience strange visions which makes her frightened that her life is in danger."

My opinion for what it's worth? Tame and lame - nuff said.

That reminds me of Night of the Eagle with Peter Wyngarde.That's not bad at all.

The Terror (1938)

An oldie here for sure which positively creaked with early camera-work, direction, ham acting etc. etc.; BUT well worth the watch for star spotting future names of note.

Wilfrid Lawson who for once didn't seem to be drunk
"M" from James Bond (Bernard Lee) who was playing at being a drunk
Alastair Sim being demented as only he can be
Richard Murdoch as a rookie policeman
And....................
Irene Handl and Kathleen Harrison playing uncredited domestics.

I don't think I have seen a film with so many to spot, but the film itself was to put it mildly, dire! It started off with the best intentions but then seemed to go into a series of unrelated sketches.

The New Lot (1943)

This was an odd short of about 50 minutes from the Imperial War Museum via the The Army Kinematograph Service, and thought lost until a copy was discovered in a disused Army base in India.

Propaganda film about 5 raw recruits having been called up and not wanting to be there for various reasons, but in the end, of course, they come good and form a good unit.

Odd also that not one actor was credited in the film, but I presume they got paid. Amongst the bigger names were :-
Robert Donat
Kathleen Harrison
Raymond Huntley
Geoffrey Keen
John Laurie
Bernard Lee
Bernard Miles
John Slater
And a very young looking Peter Ustinov who also wrote some of the screen play.

I enjoyed it as it was something different and one thing did make me smile was that at the end of the film, they showed them individually marching into battle, with John Laurie doing his twitchy side to side look a la Dad's Army titles. :D

We Serve (1942)

After "The New Lot", it's nice to see a film from the same stable and about the ladies in the war-time ATS, which was of interest to me as it was mentioned in the Celia Johnson biog. I am reading at the moment and my wife's mother was in that service working on the Ack-Ack gun emplacements.

Very similar to the previous, but more about how officers should treat the lower ranks and be sympathetic to their backgrounds and problems, and not what I would call a propaganda film.

This one though is not on the IMDb as is the case with the previous male/Army one as I wanted to check that it was Esma Cannon I saw as a raw recruit with psychological problems. Celia Johnson was in it of course.

Interesting.