Glimpses - TPTV Page 2

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 28th July 2019, 9:08 AM

And how old Jack Warner was for a cricketer playing in an Ashes test at Lord's - 59. Mind you, he was 81 when he hung up his helmet at Dock Green.

Yes, but I love anything JW is in. Have the boxset of The Huggets and relish films like Those People Next Door etc. etc., and I highly recommend, if you haven't seen it, "Jigsaw" with Jack as a D.I. on the trail of a murderer - Absolutely Superb!!

Returning to Mr Pastry, he's been reincarnated as John Bolton, US National Security Advisor.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 28th July 2019, 9:37 AM

Yes, but I love anything JW is in. Have the boxset of The Huggets and relish films like Those People Next Door etc. etc., and I highly recommend, if you haven't seen it, "Jigsaw" with Jack as a D.I. on the trail of a murderer - Absolutely Superb!!

Yes I've seen "Jigsaw" on TPTV in the past. Enjoyed it very much.

I also have the Huggetts box set. In fact I included them in my post on the "My top 50 British Comedy films" thread some time ago:

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 8th March 2018, 2:17 PM

* At least some of the various Huggetts films with Jack Warner & Kathleen Harrison

"Home And Away", a Huggetts-type film with both Jack Warner & Kathleen Harrison is on TPTV at 11am this Thursday.

Have you seen "A Fire has been Arranged" yet?

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 28th July 2019, 3:47 PM

"Home And Away", a Huggetts-type file with both Jack Warner & Kathleen Harrison is on TPTV at 11am this Thursday.

Is it !?!? How did I miss that! Have finished me eBay now so will be straight on to that in a mo - thanks for the tip! Can't think how I missed it, but think I've seen it before, which is irrelevant with this type of film for me. :D

"A Fire has been Arranged" - not yet. It is in a gathering pile of DVD rotations. Have one more Carry On to watch first, but there is so much good stuff on TPTV at the moment!

OK, so watched it tonight and yerrrrrssss. Not a patch on The Big Job of course, but I think I said previous I wasn't expecting much as Flanagan & Allen have always left me flat - atrocious corny jokes!! The only saving grace was the many pretty girls, Alastair Sim (!) and Rob Wilton.

When you consider the likes of Max Miller et al were in their heyday at this time it never ceases to amaze me WHY F&A were considered so funny or were so popular - dire cringeworthy jokes such as the awful "You've got one, too" and slapstick that was puerile.

As curio it was worth a look, but that's all.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 31st July 2019, 11:41 PM

OK, so watched it tonight and yerrrrrssss. Not a patch on The Big Job of course, but I think I said previous I wasn't expecting much as Flanagan & Allen have always left me flat - atrocious corny jokes!! The only saving grace was the many pretty girls, Alastair Sim (!) and Rob Wilton.

When you consider the likes of Max Miller et al were in their heyday at this time it never ceases to amaze me WHY F&A were considered so funny or were so popular - dire cringeworthy jokes such as the awful "You've got one, too" and slapstick that was puerile.

As curio it was worth a look, but that's all.

Oh dear. Well, I enjoyed it. I watched my original recording from TPTV twice, then bought the DVD for posterity, then bought another DVD as a Christmas present. I hope the recipient appreciated it! I particularly liked the bizarre Robb Wilton musical interlude (I say "musical"...)

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 1st August 2019, 11:11 AM

I particularly liked the bizarre Robb Wilton musical interlude (I say "musical"...)

Rob Wilton ALWAYS worth a look - I fondly remember his magistrate in "The Love Match" when he asked them to explain what happened at the football match,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeR78KFYjYo

AND THIS superb scene with AA, Glenn Melvyn and the superb Danny Ross................

Worth it just for the prat-fall Laughing out loud

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7wIAzdW-Qk

"Home And Away", a Huggetts-type film with both Jack Warner & Kathleen Harrison is on TPTV at 11am this Thursday.

Watched it tonight - most enjoyable!! Loved the big family bust up with them all having a go at each other Laughing out loud . KH got on my tits a bit and JW was unusually crabby, but the star for me was (as always) Thora Hird.

Didn't recognise Kate O'Mara and it was good to see Carol Voderman's mother Lana Morris in it. :D

Reminded me very much of the first story in the "Easy Money" film, which had Jack Warner in it and involved a football pools coupon.

ALSO, there was a very short film on TPTV tonight about Petula Clark and her film schedule for one of "The Huggets" films.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 1st August 2019, 3:39 PM

Rob Wilton ALWAYS worth a look - I fondly remember his magistrate in "The Love Match" when he asked them to explain what happened at the football match,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeR78KFYjYo

AND THIS superb scene with AA, Glenn Melvyn and the superb Danny Ross................

Worth it just for the prat-fall Laughing out loud

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7wIAzdW-Qk

Always love to listen to Robb Wilton - The Day War Broke Out ("How will you know which one's Hitler?" "I've got a tongue in my head haven't I?") and The Fire Station being two classic examples - and to watch his mannerisms on the rare occasions we get the chance to see him on film.

I can never hear Danny Ross without bringing to mind Sunday lunchtimes and The Clitheroe Kid. Interesting that his character in The Love Match has the same name.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 2nd August 2019, 5:02 PM

I can never hear Danny Ross without bringing to mind Sunday lunchtimes and The Clitheroe Kid. Interesting that his character in The Love Match has the same name.

I think he was called Alfie in the radio series, but it makes you wonder if somebody twigged the similarities to "I'll fall" for the film and "reused" it for that joke.

Yes, the gormless boyfriend of Jimmy's sister, so funny. Can't remember which episode it was now (so many!) but the two of them were on the phone with Danny pretending to be an old man talking to somebody on a newspaper (I think that was Derek Guyler) about football predictions for some competition - absolutely hysterical. Laughing out loud

Shame there's not more Danny Ross on film.

"Blackpool 1974" - a silent B&W student film (? why was the main "guide" a frumpy middle aged woman looking as though she had stepped out a 1950s doc.) and I couldn't watch it to the end as it seemed pointless and therefore boring.

C'est la vie.

"Six Candles"

Sort of safety film made by the British Insurance Association in the 1960s, about a day in the life of fictional insurance agent Mr Smith, who will ironically die as a result of a road accident.
Quite good actually, as it shows all the perils of the road at that time and you think "Ah yes, this is where he gets it", then no and his demise is a small surprise.

No spoiler as you know he's going to get it in the end. :D or maybe :(

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 28th August 2019, 10:08 AM

"Six Candles"

(

50% better than the Two Ronnies then?

Yes, well spotted - I wondered who it would be. Rolling eyes

Quote: Chappers @ 28th August 2019, 10:48 AM

50% better than the Two Ronnies then?

RONNIE BARKER enters a hardware store. The shopkeeper, RONNIE CORBETT, stands behind the counter.

RONNIE B: Six candles?

(RC reaches under the counter and produces a copy of "The News of the World" and a copy of the "National Enquirer")

RONNIE C: There you are.

RONNIE B: No, six candles.

(RC indicates the reading matter with his hand)

RONNIE C: Well, there you are - sick scandals!

(Tumultuous laughter, cheering and applause from audience)