Glimpses - TPTV

What a boon this channel is proving to be for me! Talking Pictures TV have been showing a series of shorts from their own library "Glimpses" and the from the BFI of anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes of documentaries from the 50s thru' to the 70s and it's nostalgia wallow time for me!

So far, since I've tuned in, we've had a 1950s RAC/AA Motorcycle safety film, a 1960s private film made by a driving instructor, Petticoat Lane in the post war period, the 1950s fish market (when we had one!), 1950s "Holiday" in Blackpool - all may sound pretty mundane to most people, but I'm loving them - especially seeing the cars and lorries from my childhood and when I had my first car. Also makes you smile at what life was like then, but also sad that it is not so simple as it was.

Brilliant!!

I love them too.They are long before my time saw one this week Wessex farm 1938 it was in colour and another one from the fifties about being a motorcyclist

Just watched one about sailing ship from 1937 the film and colour quality was amazing for something of that age

Quote: Billygoatscruff @ 23rd July 2019, 7:09 PM

I love them too........................... and another one from the fifties about being a motorcyclist

I reckon that must be the same one I mentioned "1950s RAC/AA Motorcycle safety film", and what amazed me is just how many motorcycle/sidecar combos there were on the road then, yet you hardly see one now!

And those huge white reflective gauntlet gloves they recommended so people could clearly see your hand signals, and the "protective" clothing of what looked like no more than thick overalls. :D And crash helmets IF you want to wear one!!

So ridiculous when you see it all now.

I retuned my free view last week and when I switched to TPTV to make sure I still had it The Gentle Touch was just starting followed by CATS Eyes. I must have been 4 or 5 the last time I watched it but instantly recognised the theme tune. Very nostalgic.

This channel is proving a veritable treasure for old farts like me - I've never wallowed in so much nostalgia! The pre and post war British B&W films and these obscure documentaries around the same dates - I'm in heaven. :D

If only I could see the old Pearl & Dean advert intro they used to have at the cinema................................oh, hang on -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCo1Ffn9_u8

THAT is SO 1970s! The font and music "Asteroid", and here is a potted history of P&D :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqCHGQAeVcw

Loved the speeded up footage of the crashes in the motorcycle one. Despite being a lot younger than most of the films I find that I am watching tptv more than any other channel. Listened to a program on radio 4 talking about the channel it's a family owned business ran from a shed in the garden.

That's very interesting! Bet it's not run in the shed anymore. :D

Not that I'm bothered in the slightest, but I do wonder why the heavily money laden Film 4 let TPTV steal a march on them.

Film 4 should have been doing this years ago, and even now their output is generally abysmal. And to think they once had the gall to charge you for the "privilege".

I remember when channel four and bbc 2 used to old films during the day , and you right about film four when it first started it had good films you wouldn't see on other channels now it shows the same films as others

Am also enjoying the B movie fillers of the supposedly true stories from "Scotland Yard" - one the other day had John Le Mez as the detective and today's had a police sergeant I did a double take on as he looked just like Ronnie Barker. :S

Well, 'spose they can't all be good - "Celebrity Crazy Cricket" from the 1950s filmed somewhere around Watford with only an inane commentary from some Yank 'trying' to understand the game, and with a brief appearance of Tommy Cooper and Jon Pertwee (there may have been another one or two, but clearly forgettable) and a very unfunny Mr. Pastry. What we ever saw even remotely amusing in Richard Hearne dressed as an old duffer acting the goat I will never know.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 26th July 2019, 7:08 AM

Jon Pertwee ... and a very unfunny Mr. Pastry. What we ever saw even remotely amusing in Richard Hearne dressed as an old duffer acting the goat I will never know.

Interestingly (well I thought so anyway), Richard Hearne was vigorously courted by the BBC for the role of Dr Who following the departure of Jon Pertwee. But he insisted on playing the character in the style of Mr Pastry; the producers thought not and Tom Baker got the part.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 26th July 2019, 8:01 AM

Interestingly (well I thought so anyway), Richard Hearne was vigorously courted by the BBC for the role of Dr Who following the departure of Jon Pertwee. But he insisted on playing the character in the style of Mr Pastry; the producers thought not and Tom Baker got the part.

Yes, that is interesting and summat I didn't know. Bit arrogant of him wasn't it? And thank God the Beeb didn't go through with it as one can barely imagine what a fiasco that would have been, AND probably seen the end of Dr Who. Ironic then it went instead to the best (imo) in Tom Baker.

Watching a film I recorded on TPTV earlier (The Final Test) and, during one of the intervals, they advertised their exclusive release of "The Mr Pastry Collection" for a mere £20.

https://www.renownfilms.co.uk/product-category/renown-june-july-new-releases-and-club-specials/

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 27th July 2019, 9:44 PM

Watching a film I recorded on TPTV earlier (The Final Test) and, during one of the intervals, they advertised their exclusive release of "The Mr Pastry Collection" for a mere £20.

https://www.renownfilms.co.uk/product-category/renown-june-july-new-releases-and-club-specials/

Yers..................I'll save my twenty squid thank you Renown.

"Final Test" was good though, but then I'm a big fan of Jack Warner. Had to smile at how jolly decent his 17 year old son was. :D

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 28th July 2019, 12:06 AM

"Final Test" was good though, but then I'm a big fan of Jack Warner. Had to smile at how jolly decent his 17 year old son was. :D

And how old Jack Warner was for a cricketer playing in an Ashes test at Lord's - 59. Mind you, he was 81 when he hung up his helmet at Dock Green.