The Monarchy Page 5

Quote: Rood Eye @ 28th May 2019, 3:11 PM

I am the light of the world.

https://youtu.be/VIJUKHsrM1k

BritFunk royalty!

Quote: DaButt @ 28th May 2019, 1:30 AM

Could be both. A large percentage of American cops are former military.

I met George H.W. Bush at a baseball game. His son owned the team and they held their spring training in my town. I met his son, George W., at the same stadium a few years later when I ended up in the seat directly behind him.

I met Bill Clinton, Hillary, and Al Gore at a hotel across from my apartment in 1992. I listened to the Secret Service on my scanner and learned exactly where and when they'd arrive. They held a rally the next day at my university and actor River Phoenix's band played. I bumped into him before the show and he asked where he could find a Coke machine. A year later he was dead.

Interesting encounters! I was sad to read about George senior passing away and he always seemed like a genteel, wise old man. Covertly listening to the Secret Service sounds like a felony :D In the 80s I tuned in once on an old radio and after about 30 seconds of listening to what were clearly police officers and control room operators talking to each other I soiled myself (Figuratively speaking), turned it off and never tried it again :D

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 28th May 2019, 9:58 PM

Interesting encounters! I was sad to read about George senior passing away and he always seemed like a genteel, wise old man. Covertly listening to the Secret Service sounds like a felony :D In the 80s I tuned in once on an old radio and after about 30 seconds of listening to what were clearly police officers and control room operators talking to each other I soiled myself (Figuratively speaking), turned it off and never tried it again :D

In the 70s when we were first married , we used to be able to tune in to the Police. One night, about 1 a.m., we overheard about a smashed (large ) window attack at some friends who lived about 16 miles away. Of course I phoned immediately to make sure they were safe. Naturally they were surprised. In those days we regularly listened quite unashamedly.

There are apps you can download where you can listen live to the police radio in American states

Quote: Briosaid @ 28th May 2019, 10:13 PM

In the 70s when we were first married , we used to be able to tune in to the Police. One night, about 1 a.m., we overheard about a smashed (large ) window attack at some friends who lived about 16 miles away. Of course I phoned immediately to make sure they were safe. Naturally they were surprised. In those days we regularly listened quite unashamedly.

You should have pretended you were undercover officers to your friends. Maybe that's too far. I was only 10ish when I tuned in so it seemed a lot more naughty than it was but I was scared a bunch of coppers would be banging on the door wanting to haul me away. In reality back then in the 70s and 80s if it was illegal it was probably dealt with with words of advice or caution unless you were doing it persistently. These days it might fall under hacking laws which is a lot more serious.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 28th May 2019, 10:52 PM

You should have pretended you were undercover officers to your friends. Maybe that's too far. I was only 10ish when I tuned in so it seemed a lot more naughty than it was but I was scared a bunch of coppers would be banging on the door wanting to haul me away. In reality back then in the 70s and 80s if it was illegal it was probably dealt with with words of advice or caution unless you were doing it persistently. These days it might fall under hacking laws which is a lot more serious.

For the life of me, I can't remember how we did it, but it was dead easy and a regular late-night weekend passtime.

Quote: Briosaid @ 28th May 2019, 11:11 PM

For the life of me, I can't remember how we did it, but it was dead easy and a regular late-night weekend passtime.

So did we now and then, and THEN all you needed was a radio that had short wave on it, which many did in the 60s. And yes, it was "dead easy" so that's probably what you were using Brio.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 28th May 2019, 11:22 PM

So did we now and then, and THEN all you needed was a radio that had short wave on it, which many did in the 60s. And yes, it was "dead easy" so that's probably what you were using Brio.

I cracked it with an all in one portable TV, radio, audio cassette and Betamax cassette unit. The black and white screen was no more than 4 x 4 inches but it was better than nothing and it had every radio wave band. It was probably made early 80s and was skipped and tipped decades ago so I can't remember the brand but it was a handy little bastard.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 28th May 2019, 9:58 PM

Covertly listening to the Secret Service sounds like a felony :D In the 80s I tuned in once on an old radio and after about 30 seconds of listening to what were clearly police officers and control room operators talking to each other I soiled myself (Figuratively speaking), turned it off and never tried it again :D

It was perfectly legal if it was unencrypted. The general rule of thumb is that it was ok to listen to government/safety/medical/military, but revealing the contents of what you heard was sort of a gray area. Before the advent of digital modes and widespread encryption, you could hear all sorts of stuff: mobile phones, cordless phones, baby monitors, wireless microphones, etc. You can still hear a lot of stuff with modern scanners like these: https://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/scanners.html

Quote: lofthouse @ 28th May 2019, 10:33 PM

There are apps you can download where you can listen live to the police radio in American states

You can listen to thousands of police/fire/medical/airports for free here: https://www.broadcastify.com/listen/

They used to sell great combination radios in the late 70's early 80's.
I bought one from Leeds market. A huge great hulking thing with so many knobs and channels and bandwidths.

I found out I could listen to all the local CB knobheads breaker breaking and bear trapping etc.
All they seemed to be doing was asking each other where they were, what rig they were using, the strength of their signal and eyeball eyeball when they spotted each other. (no actual meaningful conversation)
Then I found I could transmit with this radio... now the fun started.

They didn't like you swearing at them - oof a big no no. They would call on all the other CB'ers to bleed me out.
I'd just wait until they had all stopped pressing their buttons and start again.
They would then try to locate me by everyone comparing my signal strength.
That was a pretty good tactic as they did pinpoint my area but they thought I was in a car so some poor sap innocently driving along caught the grief.
The novelty soon wore off though especially when the lady next door reported me to the police for having an illegal CB radio,
They came and examined it and I told them I could only listen in - which was not illegal so they left it.
The cheeky cow next door used to use my washing line on wash day and I considered banning her.
But, she hung her massive bras on it and I liked looking at them...

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 30th May 2019, 8:30 AM

But, she hung her massive bras on it and I liked looking at them...

Did you tell her this perv fact?

I was only a young lad and had never seen such things - well the size.
I'd bet there isn't any red blooded male upon seeing a washing line doesn't look at the underwear.

Are you a knicker nicker, Stephen?

This is taking a turn for the worse

I need to confide with my briefs

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 30th May 2019, 9:47 AM

I was only a young lad and had never seen such things - well the size.
I'd bet there isn't any red blooded male upon seeing a washing line doesn't look at the underwear.

Yeah.........if you say so, and how dare you suggest I do that!

I just happened be trimming the boundary hedge and perchance noticed they were pink with white lacy bits and not for one minute did I notice they were crotchless.