The Monarchy Page 3

Oo-er, a lot of hurt-feeling venom there, methinks! What a pity you obviously think all the posters are idiots.

Nothing of the sort really; I just hate the passing on of incorrect information.

Incorrect by your way of it! All this is about your obsession over Brexit. What does the Sovereign Grant actually cover? Does it include all the police costs in guarding the Royaks and their minions when they turn up to cut a ribbon at the latest WI fete? I suspect you haven't a clue, Bill, about the various other costs we're forking out for.

But I'm wasting my time - you just want to be smart-arsed and try to tell us how clever you are (not!)

And what is the Crown Estate, if not land robbed by the royal family over the ages?

Sharpen that guillotine!

Which of the candidates for Prime Minister is the most likely to be prepared to put cyanide in the gin of around a hundred MPs? I only ask as if the right one is found we will get it through with the right arithmetic but the monarchy will then be needed more than ever as he/she or both is carted off to jail.

I'm not a great fan of the monarchy (to say the very least) but my most specific objection relates to the sheer dishonesty of their telling the British public that when Charles becomes king, Camilla will not be queen.

The laws of England and Wales dictate that the wife of the king is the queen - and it will take an act of parliament to prevent Camilla assuming that role automatically.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 26th May 2019, 10:25 PM

I'm not a great fan of the monarchy (to say the very least) but my most specific objection relates to the sheer dishonesty of their telling the British public that when Charles becomes king, Camilla will not be queen.

The laws of England and Wales dictate that the wife of the king is the queen - and it will take an act of parliament to prevent Camilla assuming that role automatically.

Or, to put it another way - they're lying turds.

As a great many people say north of the border, "The English royal family's pure hoachin' wae bawbags."

Quote: Rood Eye @ 26th May 2019, 10:48 PM

As a great many people say north of the border, "The English royal family's pure hoachin' wae bawbags."

You are a closet Scot and I claim my £5.

Quote: Briosaid @ 26th May 2019, 9:02 PM

What does the Sovereign Grant actually cover? Does it include all the police costs in guarding the Royaks and their minions when they turn up to cut a ribbon at the latest WI fete?

Quote: billwill @ 26th May 2019, 12:13 PM

https://money.cnn.com/2018/05/09/pf/where-queens-money-comes-from-uk-royal-wedding/index.html

That leaves plenty of dosh for protection. But don't forget the Royals are the cultural arm of the government, all the tours and visits they do is for the benefit of the commonwealth. Increasingly they are another trade and business arm too, used to strike deals all over the world. All that money goes back into the pot. The State also owns most of their assets, worth billions.

Nobody has addressed my point yet, which would be an important consideration in any campaign to replace the monarchy. Just what we need - more elections, more politicians. And of course they don't lie at all.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 25th May 2019, 1:44 PM

The obvious alternative as head of state is, of course, a president. Although, based on recent experience in other countries, certain people may not be happy about that if the candidate they don't support gets elected...

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 27th May 2019, 9:06 AM

campaign to replace the monarchy.

As we proceed along the road of life, it's very common for us to have to replace things: a pair of shoes, a TV set, a set of windscreen wipers, etc.

There are however a great many things we want to get rid of without replacing them - such as a spider in the bath.

I think the monarchy falls very firmly into the category of things that just need to go and not be replaced.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 27th May 2019, 9:33 AM

I think the monarchy falls very firmly into the category of things that just need to go and not be replaced.

Politicians

The parliamentarians are rising again...
I as a Royalist will smite a few. (and they will stay smote)

Actually, an absolute monarch or a dictator might be a very good thing for Britain.

The snag is that finding one with a benign nature and the wisdom of Solomon would be a bit of a challenge.