The Monarchy Page 2

I met Charles a few years back. I shook his hand (big meaty thing it was)
He's a nice bloke.
His minders lean in when physical contact is made.
It crossed my mind that these bodyguards would have loaded guns upon their person.

My brother spoke to William or Harry (can't remember which one) at the Ally Pally darts a few years ago and he politely turned down a selfie request but agreed to a handshake but one of his bodyguards stood between them during the handshake.

I bet they have training to react in a split second and are expert marksmen. Probably special forces trained and all hard as nails to boot.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 25th May 2019, 5:51 PM

I don't think it's about being PC it's not seeing humour in a gag about a baby being murdered regardless of the family it's born in to.

There's nothing essentially funny about murdering babies or indeed about murdering anybody else.

However, in the context of a joke, the idea of somebody being killed (deliberately or otherwise) has been around since time immemorial and a great many of those jokes have found favour with a great many perfectly decent people.

Billy Connolly's first-ever joke for a television audience was all about a man who had murdered his wife and buried her naked body in the ground but had left her bum sticking up in order to give him somewhere to park his bike.

Joan Rivers had an absolutely sensational joke about a cousin who died at birth.

Dave Allen seemed to have a veritable obsession with people being shot by firing squads.

I could go on (there are countless examples of jokes told by reputable TV comedians about the tragic deaths, killings and murders of people of all ages) but I think my point is made.

As I've often said, "If your comedy isn't offending somebody, you're not trying!"

Quote: Rood Eye @ 25th May 2019, 6:38 PM

As I've often said, "If your comedy isn't offending somebody, you're not trying!"

In the context of this thread though where people were becoming increasingly more hateful towards the monarchy and resentful of another mouth for the tax payer to feed the mention of Beverley Allitt was tasteless. I'm sure I would have laughed if Frankie Boyle said it but you're not Frankie Boyle and comedy doesn't have to be offensive. For example The Chuckle Brothers or The Crankies. Sandi Toksvig.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 25th May 2019, 6:18 PM

I bet they have training to react in a split second and are expert marksmen. Probably special forces trained and all hard as nails to boot.

Watch the Ronald Reagan shooting video and notice how quickly pistols and sub machine guns appear.

I've met 3 presidents and every time a Secret Service agent "accidentally" bumped into me and had a quick feel. They're exceptionally good at their jobs.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 25th May 2019, 7:02 PM

In the context of this thread though where people were becoming increasingly more hateful towards the monarchy and resentful of another mouth for the tax payer to feed the mention of Beverley Allitt was tasteless.

I echo your sentiments without hesitation: it was in the most appalling taste.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 25th May 2019, 7:02 PM

I'm sure I would have laughed if Frankie Boyle said it

And with that sentence, you vindicate me completely.

Thank you.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 25th May 2019, 11:01 AM

The royal baby weighed just over eight pounds, and just over eight pounds is what it'll cost you every second of its life.

This joke should get one of those licences, approved purveyor of anti monarchist jokes to her Maj.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 25th May 2019, 7:31 PM

I echo your sentiments without hesitation: it was in the most appalling taste.

And with that sentence, you vindicate me completely.

Thank you.

You're welcome Mr Obtuse :)

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 25th May 2019, 8:50 PM

Obtuse

That's my favourite angle! :D

Quote: Rood Eye @ 25th May 2019, 9:20 PM

That's my favourite angle! :D

I admit if this was a rap battle that would be a beatdown :D

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 25th May 2019, 6:05 PM

I met Charles a few years back. I shook his hand (big meaty thing it was)
He's a nice bloke.

I met him myself recently

He said "oh hello, and what do you do?"

And I said

"Mind your own f**king business you nosey BASTARD"

Quote: lofthouse @ 25th May 2019, 10:07 PM

I met him myself recently

He said "oh hello, and what do you do?"

And I said

"Mind your own f**king business you nosey BASTARD"

Laughing out loudLaughing out loudLaughing out loud

I met Prince Charles at a charity event.

He said, "Oh hello, and what do you do?"

To which I replied,

"That's funny, I was gonna ask you the same thing"

F**king Hell, a positive reaction. That's 5 more than I normally get. Better lower my standards.
I can't do courses at the mo cos I don't have a connection at home.
Prince Charles in traditional Scottish costume... Strange, normally the kilt CONCEALS the dick head.

Still propagating the myth that the taxpayer pays the Queen, Brio?
You know that isn't true. Feelthy Landlords the Royals may well be but they pay more into the treasury than they are given back.

Still it's typical of your lack of research and embedded opinions. Now you've got all these others believing your lies and it is YOU that accuses the Leave campaign of lying.

https://money.cnn.com/2018/05/09/pf/where-queens-money-comes-from-uk-royal-wedding/index.html

The Sovereign Grant is generated from the Crown Estate, a collection of UK properties and farms that generate hundreds of millions of pounds each year. The vast majority of earnings from the Crown Estate go into government coffers, but a portion of the profits -- between 15% to 25% -- are given to the Queen in the form of the Sovereign Grant.