Newsjack Series 20 - February 2019 Page 11

Newsjack. Copyright: BBC.

Newsjack

Topical satirical sketch show on Radio 4 Extra. The programme has an 'open door' policy allowing anyone to submit material

AidanMcComedy

• Tuesday 19th February 2019, 3:11pm
  • England
  • 21 posts

Only first week and I'm already enjoying writing for Good Week, Bad Week more than Newsjackpedia!

B T F

• Tuesday 19th February 2019, 3:19pm [Edited]
  • United Kingdom
  • 156 posts
Quote: Danno @ 19th February 2019, 2:36 PM

Went for climate strikes (yeah, i know) and dodgy Fortnite Festival for sketches.
Well pleased with a couple of my jackpedias, never a good sign. Really enjoying that format this series.
Struggled with the 'good news bad news' but did land a half decent one after an hour of naval gazing.
Hey, some great ideas floating around out there, all bodes well.

Fortnite festival - hilarious story. Best of luck.
I was not keen on my jokes last week even when I put them in. Looking back most were not good. This week I like the ones in today. I will try the test and look at them in a week's time to see if my opinion has changed.

Quote: AidanMcComedy @ 19th February 2019, 3:11 PM

Only first week and I'm already enjoying writing for Good Week, Bad Week more than Newsjackpedia!

Same. Really like new format.

Thosisd

• Tuesday 19th February 2019, 4:20pm
  • United Kingdom
  • 240 posts

Love the positivity this week.

I'm feeling it too but trying to not set myself up for a crushing Thursday evening!

I think the addition of GWBW has reenergised us and certainly gives the impression that there's more opportunity.

Good luck everyone. Let's hope there's some winners amongst us.

Bonzo

• Tuesday 19th February 2019, 5:54pm
  • London, England
  • 800 posts

Good luck everyone! :)

Wishus

• Tuesday 19th February 2019, 11:17pm
  • England
  • 72 posts

Wah! So those of us doing jokes dependant on the number 7 have Joan Ryan to thank for it now being 8. Ah well, that's the way the topical cookie crumbles!

Good luck everyone!

sillysausage

• Wednesday 20th February 2019, 10:15am
  • Derbyshire, England
  • 88 posts

It feels like quite an effort coming up with nine one-liners but can't bear to not submit a full quota. Good luck one and all!

Steev

• Wednesday 20th February 2019, 10:23am
  • England
  • 36 posts

I had several ideas around the same news story, so submitted a one liner, Newsjackipedia, and a GWBW to cover all my bases. Only time (*) will tell if it worked.

* i.e. Thursday evening

Danno

• Wednesday 20th February 2019, 10:37am
  • Azerbaijan
  • 268 posts

Has anyone here ever been involved in the writing room or had to sift through the oneliners?

Kenny Bania

• Wednesday 20th February 2019, 11:57am
  • United Kingdom
  • 80 posts

Not yet, but when I do, Danno, for a small fee..........

( Incidentally, absolutely disgraceful that these others mps decide to quite their parties after this week's deadlinse )

Steev

• Wednesday 20th February 2019, 12:32pm
  • England
  • 36 posts
Quote: Kenny Bania @ 20th February 2019, 11:57 AM

( Incidentally, absolutely disgraceful that these others mps decide to quite their parties after this week's deadlinse )

Absolutely! My Newsjack week:

Thursday : Waiting with anticipation for the good email
Friday : News happens, and some interest is paid, but worry that the weekend will erase the stories from the collective memory
Saturday : Read every news site going. Procrastinate about writing
Sunday : Realise the sketch deadline is tomorrow and panic
Monday : Pretend to work, whilst polishing the sketches. Realise you haven't written any one liners. Submit sketches. Re-read them and realise they're not as funny as you thought.
Tuesday : Pretend to work, whilst polishing the one liners. Submit one liners. Re-read them and realise they're not as funny as you thought.
Wednesday: All the interesting news happens, while staff writers smile and we cry

Repeat 6 times per season.

Danno

• Wednesday 20th February 2019, 12:39pm [Edited]
  • Azerbaijan
  • 268 posts

LOL....all of the above!

Just found the rejects thread. Some great gags floating around in there - well impressed! Just added some of mine if anyone's particularly bored.

B T F

• Wednesday 20th February 2019, 4:44pm
  • United Kingdom
  • 156 posts
Quote: Steev @ 20th February 2019, 12:32 PM

Absolutely! My Newsjack week:

Thursday : Waiting with anticipation for the good email
Friday : News happens, and some interest is paid, but worry that the weekend will erase the stories from the collective memory
Saturday : Read every news site going. Procrastinate about writing
Sunday : Realise the sketch deadline is tomorrow and panic
Monday : Pretend to work, whilst polishing the sketches. Realise you haven't written any one liners. Submit sketches. Re-read them and realise they're not as funny as you thought.
Tuesday : Pretend to work, whilst polishing the one liners. Submit one liners. Re-read them and realise they're not as funny as you thought.
Wednesday: All the interesting news happens, while staff writers smile and we cry

Repeat 6 times per season.

I do all that. For me, just need to add in sulking on Thursday evening as I grudgingly listen to a me-free show. Also, Tuesday afternoon, Wednesday and Thursday until 6pm the realisation sinks in that the jokes and sketches I sent (sometimes with great hope) are becoming more and more mediocre by the minute.

Lane12

• Wednesday 20th February 2019, 6:53pm
  • United Kingdom
  • 3 posts
Quote: Kenny Bania @ 20th February 2019, 11:57 AM

Not yet, but when I do, Danno, for a small fee..........

Could not agree more. Glad I avoided the Secret Seven / S Club 7 joke I was playing with, but I still went and quoted the number. As good a reason as any not to vote for them in future.

GoWithIt

• Thursday 21st February 2019, 9:19am
  • United Kingdom
  • 146 posts

Did anyone go to the recording last night?

Good luck for today everyone!

J x

B T F

• Thursday 21st February 2019, 5:00pm [Edited]
  • United Kingdom
  • 156 posts

Nobody go?
For info looks like it is later tonight? On at 11.. X