What? More money wasted.. Page 3

The current UK Defence Budget is around 33 Billion p.a.
The cost of a chunk of rock to commemorate the deaths of the poor souls who since 1945 (67 years) ... mostly at the low end of the military pecking order ... is 6 Million, which divided by 67 comes to just short of 9000 quid per annum. Or if you like one three hundred and sixty six thousandth part of the current Defence Budget. I say they're more than welcome to it. A few million is peanuts to the UK government in overall budgetry terms (who prefer to talk in billions). Pity they can't find a better way to spend it than on 'defence', a euphamism if ever there was one!

Pity that they're not even real billions!

Quote: losaavedra @ October 13, 2007, 3:11 PM

The current UK Defence Budget is around 33 Billion p.a.
The cost of a chunk of rock to commemorate the deaths of the poor souls who since 1945 (67 years) ... mostly at the low end of the military pecking order ... is 6 Million, which divided by 67 comes to just short of 9000 quid per annum. Or if you like one three hundred and sixty six thousandth part of the current Defence Budget. I say they're more than welcome to it. A few million is peanuts to the UK government in overall budgetry terms (who prefer to talk in billions). Pity they can't find a better way to spend it than on 'defence', a euphamism if ever there was one!

Not ranting at you mate, but it's the principle we've got to get to here, the widows and families don't need stone. It's not really been done for them anyway. Very little of this kind of commemorative thing is really done for the families. It's done by some high ranking military asshole or some other high and mighty bloody nobody, because they don't have anything better to focus on. Focus on living people and spend the money on them, not chunks of stone that in reality mean don't mean anything to anybody. I expect somebody will get an OBE for designing it or some other such nonsense... The glory in dying for your country is 'Boys Own Paper' or 'Eagle' comic stuff. The reality is a whole lot different. I don't see modern families going for a picnic at this place to soak up the memories of their lost ones...

Quote: Frankie Rage @ October 13, 2007, 8:39 PM

Not ranting at you mate, but it's the principle we've got to get to here, the widows and families don't need stone. It's not really been done for them anyway. Very little of this kind of commemorative thing is really done for the families. It's done by some high ranking military asshole or some other high and mighty bloody nobody, because they don't have anything better to focus on. Focus on living people and spend the money on them, not chunks of stone that in reality mean don't mean anything to anybody. I expect somebody will get an OBE for designing it or some other such nonsense... The glory in dying for your country is 'Boys Own Paper' or 'Eagle' comic stuff. The reality is a whole lot different. I don't see modern families going for a picnic at this place to soak up the memories of their lost ones...

I have no argument with what you are saying Frankie. If the cost of a 'monument' had been better spent it might have been on protective gear etc., instead ... in which case there would likely be a far smaller number of, mostly young, members of the forces to 'glorify' after their early deaths.

Cheers Mike.. likewise.. :)

Quote: Frankie Rage @ October 13, 2007, 8:39 PM

Cancel Memorial Sunday the Rage has spoken.

LOL

Now, now boys... let's not go too far, eh?

Memorial Sunday needn't be expensive. In fact I'd make SKY pay for the f**ker or some other bleedin' conglomerate. The Queen can still do it though because, as Aaron has advised, she sells.

I'd make a profit on it if they let me run it and give it poor street urchins, of which I am almost one myself;), invited to two comedy gigs this coming week and I haven't even got bus fare at the mo'...

:(

Quote: Frankie Rage @ October 14, 2007, 12:41 AM

Memorial Sunday needn't be expensive. In fact I'd make SKY pay for the f**ker or some other bleedin' conglomerate.

>_< Thats how they raised money for the memorial. It wasn't taxes.

Quote: ajp29 @ October 14, 2007, 12:45 AM

>_< Thats how they raised money for the memorial. It wasn't taxes.

You're saying that as though the truth is important.. ;)

As we've already said elsewhere in the thread I think, it's not where the money came from that matters, it's that fact that it's been wasted on a massive bleedin' gravestone, that is the issue. :)

And if I am completely wrong on this then the solution is that I will kill everybody and start again. QED! ;)

Arsebiscuits! I'm not letting you be the bigger man Frankie i'm going to kill everyone and start again :D

Damn you, I'll kill them twice! :P

WHo will kill everyone and start again??

Place your bets Now!!!

I will kill everyone bring them back to life them kill em again to prove my point.

I will destroy the entire Universe and eveything in it and all parallel and alternate universes.

That's it.... Cool