Quacks Page 3

Quote: Davida @ 22nd September 2017, 5:24 PM

So the arcing thing being an okay thing is a fairly recent phenomenon then?

Just being a thing at all. Traditionally sitcoms were just isolated single episodes. Occasionally a character might get married in a long-running show, but that was about it. They never learned anything, never improved their lot (or not substantially).

There were of course odd exceptions, but now the reverse is true and the sitcoms where people don't have arcs are the exception.

Interesting. I suppose I lack the nostalgia for the old way that maybe you might have, or some people have anyway. I like a good arc just as well in a sitcom as in a novel or play whathaveyou. Do you think having especially arcy arcs is kind of a cheap writing trick? Like maybe it's harder to write a good consistent stable character contained by the same parameters every episode?

I'm a little torn on that. I do sometimes appreciate when sitcoms leave their characters exactly where they started off, no better worse or different, especially if you jump into a series midway through, but I think I tend to enjoy more when characters change and face challenges that throw a big kink or curve in their story and part of the fun is seeing how they change to cope with that.

In Quacks (to get back to the topic) would you say it falls more into the non-arc category or would you say it's fairly arcy? I can't decide. There seem to be hints of arcs with like the introduction of aether, and the girl one has somewhat of an arc I guess, with struggling for respect/recognition for her intellectual pursuits and all that. That's something I could see being expanded upon if there was an s2. Not sure where the boys would go from here except maybe becoming more famous in their practice for novel procedures, or becoming infamous if they were to really screw something up, or maybe having financial troubles or especially famous clients, but they've kind of already done most of that in some way. I certainly wouldn't want to be in charge of trying to write an s2 for Quacks. Maybe just 1 is enough.

There are definitely arc elements in Quacks, as you outline, but each episode is generally self-contained. Polar opposite of Back, for example.

I liked "Quacks". Good performances, even if Rory Kinnear tended to mug too much. James Wood is a fine writer. He got the tone exactly right with "Rev". I think the tone here was more uneven, broad mixed with not-so-broad. Entertaining nevertheless.