I'm coming clean.

Ok........my confession.

I voted for brexit and I am still glad I did. The remoaners will not let it rest attempting to make the majority voters feel like mindless, stupid, ill informed morons.

I also think Trump might eventually prove to be a great president. He is not a politician - a business man so he is bound to look at things differently to what people are used to. If he makes America great again I doubt he'll get much credit from the media.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 7th April 2017, 2:21 PM

I voted for brexit and I am still glad I did. The remoaners will not let it rest attempting to make the majority voters feel like mindless, stupid, ill informed morons.

Yeah, that appears to be standard operating procedure for many on the left these days. Nothing says "I'm open-minded" like insults, fearmongering and personal attacks.

And if there's one thing you can say about those on the right, it's that they never do any of that!

There's plenty of arseholes on both sides.

Quote: zooo @ 7th April 2017, 9:45 PM

There's plenty of arseholes on both sides.

You've got arsehoes on both sides?

Mine is straight down the middle.

:D

Well done Steve
I think that coming out as racist is very brave
#satire

If Trump turns out to be a great president, and "makes America great again" (though I have no idea what that would even entail), I will be pleased as punch and commend him for his triumph, and I'd imagine the non-liberal half of the media world will give him high praise. I respect your opinion. But I don't see it happening. Not now (just taking into consideration the mostly ill (and in my view, VERY ill) effects of his words and actions thus far in his presidency, and not over the course of the next four years. I have my biases, as do you, but from what I am witnessing, it just seems quite unlikely that this will all end in "Greatness". I try not go overboard and get into the "Trump is leading us straight into world war III" mindset. I'd LIKE for him to make positive changes, and make improvements. I'm sure he'll make at least SOME improvements. But I think the damage already incurred points to more of the same and I suspect it will only get worse.

Even just seemingly small policy changes he's enacted are having or will soon be having a rather drastic negative impact on my life personally (I won't even get into the probably worse problems immigrants, muslims, women who need access to services like planned parenthood, all school children who will have to deal with Betsy DeVos etc. are facing or will likely face). I'd have been dead years ago if not for obamacare, and I'm going to lose it within the next year thanks to Trump's policies. Between paying student loan debt, paying for life, and soon having to pay expensive premiums for my work's private health care policy that doesn't even cover most of the services I need to survive, stay sane, etc. is likely going to lead me to the point of having to default on my student loans, which thanks to Trump and friends will lead to me getting slammed with ridiculously high interest rate increases and penalty fees that I don't foresee being able to dig myself out of. My credit rating will be completely fukt, preventing me from doing things like purchasing a car, buying a house, or possibly even renting an apartment in future. I may very well end up homeless, which would make having/keeping a job, especially one with an even remotely livable wage an immense challenge, and even more challenging if I don't have a car, as I live in a rural area without public transport. Also, thanks to trump, new health care plans are not required to offer ANY mental health coverage (or coverage for an extremely lengthy list of other health problems, or "pre-existing conditions"), meaning my medications will have to be paid for out of pocket, which comes to about $2500 a month. I make less than 1000$ a month working full time now. Can you see where I'm going with this? You can fault me for not being optimistic about Trump making america great again if you like. I'm not bothered. I am, however, very probably pretty fukt.

(I really shouldn't be getting political. It gets quite nasty and I don't want to be nasty. So if a moderator decides this post or perhaps this entire thread is out of line, please do delete it.)

Quote: Davida Grimes @ 8th April 2017, 1:13 AM

(I really shouldn't be getting political. It gets quite nasty and I don't want to be nasty. So if a moderator decides this post or perhaps this entire thread is out of line, please do delete it.)

This post is fine
Just don't go off topic on the "Last of the Summer Wine" thread or you will be greyed out

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 8th April 2017, 1:17 AM

This post is fine
Just don't go off topic on the "Last of the Summer Wine" thread or you will be greyed out

Got it :)

I will try not to go off topic so much, ha. I have a tendency to forget what threads were originally supposed to be about...

Is this post off-topic. I can't even tell anymore.

I voted remain, simply because I didn't know enough about what leaving would really involve (pros and cons), but know that any profound changes always cost a load initially.

May be great in long run, so the votes of younger people should be those that really counted. So Britain exiting (I hate the made up combo word so won't even type it) the EU is still an unknown, but there's an elected egomaniac across the pond poking a hornet's nest which may render our concerns irrelevant if he starts WW3.

Quote: Davida Grimes @ 8th April 2017, 1:13 AM

I'd have been dead years ago if not for obamacare, and I'm going to lose it within the next year thanks to Trump's policies.

He is an epic risk to the relative stability of everything.

The world has always had its absolute monsters as leaders (Gadaffi, Hussein, Pol Pot, Assad) but to provoke them just to win ratings because he doesn't like the negative press he reads about himself, and therefore risking the lives of the people who put him in the job is a f***ing disgrace.

Even when chemical weapons were used in August 2013, killing an estimated 1,300 people in Ghouta, Trump tweeted: "What will we get for bombing Syria besides more debt and a possible long-term conflict?"

You couldn't trust him with scissors, but still, he's been put in a job he hasn't the slightest clue how to do or how it works? It's like putting a fox in a chicken coop.

It does seem rather dire. And I often find myself drowning in terrifying soundbites on twitter posted by the orange man himself or by the people I admire who share my strong dislike for the man. But I'd like to think all the world war III hype and speculation is possibly largely just sensationalism generated within the liberal bubble (which I am aware I am in), and that the reality is not so much inevitable and impending doom and more just hyperfocus on things that are admittedly pretty horrebdous being used to divide people further, fuel the fear and hatred that's been festering for a long time now, and really not helping matters. Also, we've survived similarly horrible leaders/events/policies/disasters again and again throughout history and we're still broadly speaking in-tact. Are we not?

Dont panic!...?

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 7th April 2017, 2:21 PM

Ok........my confession.

I also think Trump might eventually prove to be a great president. He is not a politician - a business man so he is bound to look at things differently to what people are used to. If he makes America great again I doubt he'll get much credit from the media.

What were the main reasons for people choosing Brexit? Stop the creeping Islamization of Britain? Escape from non-elected officials in Brussels making detrimental rules? Or were there other reasons?

Trump won't be great. He is a petulant, ill-informed fool, taking advantage of the dumbing down of America. Sure, US politics needed a shake-up. But it's a bit like saying: "Hey, the Oscars has become stale after being hosted by Billy Crystal for 20 years; let's put a retarded, aggressive jellyfish in charge instead." Shouldn't have chosen the obnoxious, conceited cnidarian.

Quote: Davida Grimes @ 8th April 2017, 1:20 AM

Got it :)

I will try not to go off topic so much, ha. I have a tendency to forget what threads were originally supposed to be about...

Is this post off-topic. I can't even tell anymore.

There is no such thing as 'off topic' when we're in threads in the General Discussion section. Only in the threads in the Comedy forums. So don't worry about it!

Quote: Davida Grimes @ 8th April 2017, 2:22 AM

I'd like to think all the world war III hype and speculation is possibly largely just sensationalism generated within the liberal bubble. We've survived similarly horrible leaders/events/policies/disasters again and again throughout history and we're still broadly speaking in-tact. Are we not?

I am actually a very positive, upbeat and cheerful person - so psychologically my posts are not about sharing my beliefs in doom and gloom, but are actually saying, for the love of God, we have to get this russet walrus out before he f**ks anything else up!

He had me going for a nano second on making announcement regarding Syria strikes, but looking down and talking slowly only makes a person seem emotional if the rest of the time they demonstrate mania by spouting off nonsense using words like 'tremendous' and 'fantastic' and throwing their hands around. And why does everyone seem to be a 'great' or 'fantastic' guy when mentioning people, and sometimes also 'very professional'? I think he does it for points. He says complimentary stuff hoping to keep his popularity up, but because he's such a ridiculous f**kwit, he decides instead to piss off the people with power . . . his fellow lunatics in charge of other countries.

He may be getting a bit of kudos for the air strikes now, because some are gullible enough to buy that he was 'doing it for the people' but A: He sent other people to do his dirty work while he sat comfortably at 'home' googling himself in his pyjamas, and B: There's no way he did it for the greater good, or strategically after giving proper thought to what happens as a consequence, and what he does next.

There is a chance it was illegal due to international law, the constitution (and even the Geneva Convention was mentioned) or not consulting relevant people or going through proper channels first that could get him out somehow, and I still maintain there will be something he bungles so badly that the courts will have to take action (who he has already alienated by insulting, so they should make a new law for him - and he won't even know, because he doesn't even have an 'O' level for his own job!) because it can just be the catalyst in a whole plethora of violations including contradiction, lying, incompetence and conflicts of interest given his current businesses. Though of course, getting him to lie under oath would be the easiest . . .

But apart from already having cost the taxpayer in 3 months what Obama did in 2 years in leisure activities (so in effect, taking 7 times more than he did, which will no doubt continue) and deceiving his own people over and over and over again, I struggle to imagine what he will have to do to achieve 0% approval, because it's still at around 36%, so a ballpark third of Americans think he's doing alright when he's already shafted them left and right and done a complete U turn on more than one promise he made to get him elected.

It's just mind boggling . . . then there's the cost of security - because on top of the standard level of protection needed for any president, he needs far more because there are people who DO hate him enough, and I have to say, it would only take one to get through . . . who might even be hailed a hero . . .

. . . and though his replacement (Pence, though don't know if it's always automatically the vice who steps in) may not seem a favourable alternative, at least he might have a clue what the holy hell he's doing and not chuck his toys out of his pram every five minutes.

I think that anyone who voted for Brexit has a screw loose.