Red Dwarf XI

Brand new episode of the new series is available online at http://uktvplay.uktv.co.uk/

Very enjoyable...

I've watched the first new episode and thought it was very good. I'm a big fan of the 'small rouge one' so was delighted that the latest antics of Lister, Cat and co. made me laugh regularly. The opening scene was particularly good!

I'm glad there's another series on the way in 2017 (XII has already been filmed) as there's been nothing worse for RD fans than the interminable wait between each series.

Good start. Not as many belly laughs as perhaps there should have been, though I liked some of the tech gags and I laughed at the string theory stuff.

Loved that. Especially Kevin Eldon and his friend's argument. And Kryten taking off Lister's sockies at the end.

I just don't see any of the "charm" that made me love the original series. I lasted about 10 minutes before I had to switch it off. Although I think Kevin Eldon was a perfect fit!

I got a bit excited to see Chris Barrie, for some reason i didn't think he'd be in this. Dose he still appear in anything else? I think it's time for a new sitcom for him to front.

Kids nowadays have no patience.

To paraphrase Larry David it was "pretty, pretty poor"!

Quote: Lee @ 22nd September 2016, 10:27 PM

I just don't see any of the "charm" that made me love the original series. I lasted about 10 minutes before I had to switch it off. Although I think Kevin Eldon was a perfect fit!

He did turn up at the end. Maybe the best Red Dwarf was created when it was on a shoestring. Back to Reality, which followed it seems to show this.

I think it worked better when they were younger and in the "90's" flat sharing sitcom. Now it just looks like it's here for the sake of it.

I laughed throughout, particularly at some of Cat's lines and at the hostage situation with Rimmer. The scientist got a surprising amount of good gags for a supporting character. I was most impressed with the little touches, like Rimmer trying to do the Charleston during the bar raid.

I'm happy that the show is back, although as a long-time fan I'd like to see some resolution to ongoing plots rather than retreads of past glories. For example, I'd love to see them find one of the 'Cat Arks' which we learned about in the first series. I'm not so bothered about them tracking down Kochanski, or finally getting home.

Consistent laughs from start to finish is not something I get from any of the BBC's current sitcom output, so I'm glad to see the Dwarfers back with a bang on Dave. The show will likely never hit the heady heights of the early '90s episodes, but it's doing a much better job of generating the laughs than some shows achieved in their dotage (OFAH being a prime example).

Quote: Lee @ 23rd September 2016, 7:27 AM

I think it worked better when they were younger and in the "90's" flat sharing sitcom. Now it just looks like it's here for the sake of it.

And the considerable pay cheque!

Quote: Cicero84 @ 23rd September 2016, 10:18 AM

I laughed throughout, particularly at some of Cat's lines and at the hostage situation with Rimmer. The scientist got a surprising amount of good gags for a supporting character. I was most impressed with the little touches, like Rimmer trying to do the Charleston during the bar raid.

I'm happy that the show is back, although as a long-time fan I'd like to see some resolution to ongoing plots rather than retreads of past glories. For example, I'd love to see them find one of the 'Cat Arks' which we learned about in the first series. I'm not so bothered about them tracking down Kochanski, or finally getting home.

Consistent laughs from start to finish is not something I get from any of the BBC's current sitcom output, so I'm glad to see the Dwarfers back with a bang on Dave. The show will likely never hit the heady heights of the early '90s episodes, but it's doing a much better job of generating the laughs than some shows achieved in their dotage (OFAH being a prime example).

I would suggest you're a die-hard fan who would find it funny regardless?

I'm a long-standing fan of over 20 years, yes, but I wouldn't laugh unless i found it funny. The 'Back To Earth' mini-series and Series X were both pretty poor.

I also thought it was a good episode and im not a die hard fan.

I am a number of series behind. I must catch up.

I love the first six series of Red Dwarf and every time there is a new episode, I hope it will rekindle my interest in the show...

I thought the plot of this ep was OK but the jokes were generally pretty weak. Many of them were also very predictable and old fashioned. Almost rewrites of jokes from 25 years ago. The laughter and applause from some of the die-hards in the audience was also irritating.

It certainly wasn't the worst episode in the show's history, but a long way from its peak in my opinion.