The all in one consolidated RIP thread Page 92

Ah go one!

Quote: Lazzard @ 20th January 2023, 3:37 PM

Good grief.
iI don't even know where to start with that.
So I shan't.

'Cos you ain't got one................"start", that is. Or an answer, for that matter. Just pretend you have a cracking riposte. 😁

Just seemed like a weird response to someone dying.
Crosby was part of various seminal bands of the late-sixties.
The Byrds, a brief stint with Buffalo Springfield and of course CSNY.
Pretty much the essence of Woodstock-era counterculture.
On top of Jeff Becks recent demise it just seems like the book is closing on that particular era.
The fact that The Stones are still wheeling themselves on stage - destroying their legacy one gig at a time - is neither here nor there.
The thing with you , Herc, is your very dismissive of stuff that you don't like/know about.
And you always do it in a faintly nasty way.
Cosby and his ilk were important to a lot of people.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 20th January 2023, 2:59 PM

What!!? Not while the likes of Mick, Keith and Paul are still about and still playing. The Stones and The Beatles epitomised the 60s, not some rag-tag hippy folk band, who had a few minor hits.

QUOTE: "What is Crosby Stills and Nash most famous song? "Marrakesh Express" "Marrakesh Express" (Crosby, Stills & Nash) peaked at No. 28 on the Hot 100 dated Aug. 23, 1969."

F**k me, peaked at No. 28..................... WOW, heavy man. 😎

In those days there was a big difference between singles and albums act. Most of Crosby's stuff fell in the latter category. And Marrakesh Express got to number 17 over here.

Quote: Chappers @ 20th January 2023, 6:25 PM

And Marrakesh Express got to number 17 over here.

And it also wasn't their best song by a long chalk.
Pop charts were/are never a measure of quality

RIP Dave Crosby.I'm sure he would have enjoyed the quarrelsome nature of this forum.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 20th January 2023, 2:59 PM

F**k me, peaked at No. 28..................... WOW, heavy man. 😎

Crosby's bands had #1 hits and sold many millions of records in the States and the UK, and I'm fairly certain that the Fab Four were influenced by - and friends with - the Byrds.

A strange one, this. The Byrds (while very good) weren't a big thing in Britain. There are so many artists that never really translated in to the British psyche in a large way - Joni Mitchell, Eagles, Neil Young, Sly Stone etc. were all huge in North America but most Brits would struggle to name five songs by each of them. On the other hand the likes of Elton John, Led Zeppelin, Dire Straits and Phil Collins were bigger in the U.S. than back here. Cliff Richard, Slade, Madness, Robbie Williams and Oasis are virtually unknown over there.

I wish Robbie Williams was unknown over here too

Quote: lofthouse @ 21st January 2023, 12:11 PM

I wish Robbie Williams was unknown over here too

You've had it easy, I was born in the same town as the tosser.

OK, too busy this morning, so...................

IF you had just posted the dedication, I would have just passed over it, as happened with the one only RIP to Lisa Presley recently by Chappers, BUT to say.............

Quote: Lazzard @ 20th January 2023, 11:09 AM

I think we can safely say the spirit of the 60's is dead.

.......is what stuck in my craw. What a load of utter nonsense!

Jimi Hendrix, Buddy Holly, John Lennon, Paul McCartney, Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Chuck Berry, Elvis Presley, Don & Phil Everly, Bob Dylan, Stevie Wonder, James Brown, The Beach Boys etc etc etc etc.
THEY are what made the 60s, NOT some pot-head, who had hardly any influence on anyone.

Have your RIP, by all means, but to say "the spirit of the 60's is dead" just beggars belief that anyone would say anything so crass.

Quote: Lazzard @ 20th January 2023, 5:05 PM

Just seemed like a weird response to someone dying.

I don't see why. I know little about him and care even less.

The thing with you , Herc, is your very dismissive of stuff that you don't like/know about.

Nonsense. I take you up on this, and you get the hump.

And you always do it in a faintly nasty way.

I speak my mind, when I see someone talking rubbish. If you are so delicate, then I apologise.

Cosby and his ilk were important to a lot of people.

And a minority of a lot of people.

You are showing your ignorance, I'm afraid, Herc.
But you are, of course, entitled to your opinion.

Quote: Lazzard @ 21st January 2023, 4:00 PM

You are showing your ignorance, I'm afraid, Herc.

Talk about the kettle calling the pot, Lazz

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 21st January 2023, 3:23 PM

Jimi Hendrix, Buddy Holly, John Lennon, Paul McCartney, Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Chuck Berry, Elvis Presley, Don & Phil Everly, Bob Dylan, Stevie Wonder, James Brown, The Beach Boys etc etc etc etc.
THEY are what made the 60s, NOT some pot-head, who had hardly any influence on anyone.

I think you'll find that most of the people you mentioned were also potheads (and worse) and I'd wager that most of them would have complimentary things to say about David Crosby and his bands. They were major figures in 1960s and 1970s culture.

Quote: DaButt @ 21st January 2023, 8:34 AM

I'm fairly certain that the Fab Four were influenced by - and friends with - the Byrds.

I think you may have that the wrong way round.

I have on DVD many, many rock documentaries, especially The Beatles, and have never ever heard anyone say what influence Crosby or his ilk had on them.

The Everly Brothers, for example, on harmonies, Chuck Berry on guitar playing, etc. Yes; but The Byrds or whoever/whatever were just another reasonably successful folk band.

Quote: DaButt @ 21st January 2023, 4:28 PM

I think you'll find that most of the people you mentioned were also potheads (and worse) and I'd wager that most of them would have complimentary things to say about David Crosby and his bands. They were major figures in 1960s and 1970s culture.

Nothing compared to the previous I mentioned. Sorry, but that's the way it is.