The all in one consolidated RIP thread Page 93

Keep digging.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 21st January 2023, 4:34 PM

I think you may have that the wrong way round.

I have on DVD many, many rock documentaries, especially The Beatles, and have never ever heard anyone say what influence Crosby or his ilk had on them.

The Beatles influenced the Byrds, and the Byrds influenced the Beatles - especially George Harrison. Google is your friend on this one.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 21st January 2023, 4:34 PM

Nothing compared to the previous I mentioned. Sorry, but that's the way it is.

Sorry, but many of the artists you mentioned were big pot smokers, along with lots of harder drugs, too. I'm pretty sure that the Beatles had one of their earliest LSD experiences with the Byrds.

Quote: DaButt @ 21st January 2023, 5:26 PM

The Beatles influenced the Byrds, and the Byrds influenced the Beatles - especially George Harrison. Google is your friend on this one.

The thing is, The Beatles had two very separate incarnations - the beat/pop group of the early sixties and the more experimental Revolver & beyond version.
They definitely took their psychedelic influences from bands like The Byrds.
Eight Miles High was out a good six months before Revolver

Elvis crammed so many drugs down his throat , it's a wonder he didn't rattle every time he shook his hips

Bob Dylan is still around and no can say he wasn't the sixties.

Although I'm a bit afraid to use an innocent turn of phrase regarding David Crosby
I will say that despite being a Brit I do love a bit of Crosby Stills and Nash
So an RIP from me as well

I've always preferred American sixties artists to British artists from the same period, so RIP Crosby.

Quote: Lazzard @ 21st January 2023, 5:00 PM

Keep digging.

Bloody cheek! I'm not digging myself a hole, I'm the one looking at you falling into it, as I have not seen one shred of evidence to support your "I think we can safely say the spirit of the 60's is dead.", which is an insult to those who are still alive today who were even bigger and more successful than your folk singer.

IF, you had used "a" instead of "the", it would have made sense, So...........

You want engage brain, before making smug sweeping statements like that.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 22nd January 2023, 9:41 AM

Bloody cheek! I'm not digging myself a hole, I'm the one looking at you falling into it, as I have not seen one shred of evidence to support your "I think we can safely say the spirit of the 60's is dead.", which is an insult to those who are still alive today who were even bigger and more successful than your folk singer.

😂

Nurse, he's out of bed again

Quote: Lazzard @ 22nd January 2023, 11:00 AM

😂

Glad you thought it was funny, as I thought so too and why I posted it.

Quote: paulted @ 21st January 2023, 11:39 AM

A strange one, this. The Byrds (while very good) weren't a big thing in Britain. There are so many artists that never really translated in to the British psyche in a large way - Joni Mitchell, Eagles, Neil Young, Sly Stone etc. were all huge in North America but most Brits would struggle to name five songs by each of them.

I think you're totally wrong there. They were all massive in the 60s and 70s.

Yeah, I like them all, but in Britain they were not massively popular over here. They sold albums for sure but chart wise they came in rather low with albums and singles, and as I said they did not have popular appeal and were rarely seen on TV (none of them were on Top of the Pops), and it would have been rare if they even appeared on The Old Grey Whistle Test. Most of these big rock acts could make far more cash touring North America (particulary Led Zeppelin and The Who). In the early seventies when album rock began to shift serious amounts in the U.S.A., this country was in the grip of glam rock and substandard middle of the road chart pap.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 22nd January 2023, 9:41 AM

I agree with you ,there's still lots of oldies from the 60's still around.eg: Joni Mitchell who may have had as much or even more musical influence then Crosby.