Carry On Forever Page 2

Watched episodes 1 and 2 and will certainly watch episode 3 tonight. Although I'm pretty sure the Carry Ons are not the most sophisticated films in movie history the documentary has drawn (or reanimated) my interest a bit.
They were showing most of them on German TV when I was a boy in the 80s and what I did see I did find very funny...as a 10 year old or so. Maybe I should watch one or two of them now that I'm an adult.
I watched the first few minutes of Carry On Cruising this morning and found it very amusing...but I'm not sure if I can stomach 90 minutes of it.

Interesting that Charles Hawtrey started throwing his weight about and lost the part of the chef in that film to Lance Percival - this came out in his biog. I read last year, his thinking that he was the best thing since sliced bread. Reading between the lines he was a bit arrogant and considered the Carry On films a bit beneath him............as did Kenneth Williams apparently.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 4th April 2015, 11:07 PM BST

Hmmm, just realised summat else talking about that, they seem to have interviewed everyone that is still alive from those films except Barbara Windsor - odd.

There was a big thing in the papers about this before it was shown but no explanation.

Inspired by this documentary I ordered Camping, Doctor and Khyber very cheaply. I hope these aren't the worst ones of the series.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 6th April 2015, 8:03 AM BST

Inspired by this documentary I ordered Camping, Doctor and Khyber very cheaply. I hope these aren't the worst ones of the series.

Three of the best in my opinion, so you won't be disappointed. Khyber has one of the best ever jokes in it, which Bernard Bresslaw says, but I won't spoil it for you. You'll know what I mean when you hear/see it.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 6th April 2015, 8:03 AM BST

You jest, knowingly. All 3 usually in the top 5 list that TV does every six months. If you want the other two in the recent Channel 5 top 5 they are Cowboy and Abroad, if I remember correctly.

Personally I think the best, definitely the best scripted, is Cleo, stuffed to the rafters with great gags, verbal and visual. It made top 10 on that slightly wobbly list but is nearly always higher up it. Cowboy's well made but not everyone's favourite, Abroad is many fans' favourite but poorly made and the cast has too many new faces in for my liking.

And isn't actually abroad.

Quote: Chappers @ 5th April 2015, 7:15 PM BST

There was a big thing in the papers about this before it was shown but no explanation.

Watched the third bit and still no Babs - I wonder why?

She probably thought she's done it all before. There have been quite a few Carry On docs over the years with her in most of them. It was nice to get the fringe cast comments for a change.

And finally Jim Dale of the major cast. Him and Bresslaw were as good in them as Williams was. Dale was brilliant in every one he did. Babs, Sid and Hawtry coasted through some of them, hardly acting at all, overused and over rated. Williams, Dale, Bresslaw, Sims, Conner and Butterworth put much more effort in and deserved more attention than they got.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 6th April 2015, 1:58 PM BST

You jest, knowingly. All 3 usually in the top 5 list that TV does every six months. If you want the other two in the recent Channel 5 top 5 they are Cowboy and Abroad, if I remember correctly.

Personally I think the best, definitely the best scripted, is Cleo, stuffed to the rafters with great gags, verbal and visual. It made top 10 on that slightly wobbly list but is nearly always higher up it. Cowboy's well made but not everyone's favourite, Abroad is many fans' favourite but poorly made and the cast has too many new faces in for my liking.

Thanks Alfred. I'm going to watch the ones I've already ordered and if I like them Cleo and Cowboy will be next.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 7th April 2015, 11:23 AM BST

Thanks Alfred. I'm going to watch the ones I've already ordered and if I like them Cleo and Cowboy will be next.

"Three of the best in my opinion, so you won't be disappointed. Khyber has one of the best ever jokes in it, which Bernard Bresslaw says, but I won't spoil it for you. You'll know what I mean when you hear/see it." :(

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 7th April 2015, 12:11 PM BST

"Three of the best in my opinion, so you won't be disappointed. Khyber has one of the best ever jokes in it, which Bernard Bresslaw says, but I won't spoil it for you. You'll know what I mean when you hear/see it." :(

Of course thanks to you as well, Herc!

I wonder weather I will recognize Bresslaw's joke you're talking about.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 7th April 2015, 12:22 PM BST

I wonder weather I will recognize Bresslaw's joke you're talking about.

You will - it is blatant and makes me wonder how they got it thru' the censors.
Laughing out loud

PS As you are still feeling your way around the English language (and doing very well I might add :) ) It is "whether" not "weather". You did say once to point anything out like that. :D

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 7th April 2015, 1:20 PM BST

PS As you are still feeling your way around the English language (and doing very well I might add :) ) It is "whether" not "weather". You did say once to point anything out like that. :D

Yes...yes...and thanks. But this (weather/whether) was definitely a slip...at least I hope so. I wrote "if" at first but replaced it with "weather". D'oh!

EDIT: I can feel the "Grey-Monster" coming, Herc.

Whilst we're on the topic, as you're trying to learn English rather than American, it's recognise, not recognize.