What are you reading right now? Page 221

Quote: Davida Grimes @ 27th May 2017, 1:53 AM

'pixelated' was apparently a word well before computers and pixels etc.

Surely, as someone lucky enough to live in the States, you have easy access to old Donald Duck comics? Was about 1942 the great Carl Barks wrote/illustrated the excellent Donald Duck comic story called The Pixilated Parrot. I could only get a Gladstone reprint in 1989. Note, pixilated, not pixelated. Pixilated means annoyingly crazy/naughty, and also blotto drunko.

As for good unusual words, there's an undedicated thread: https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/3316

The books to get are these by Peter Bowler: https://www.amazon.com/Peter-Bowler/e/B000APTACO/ref=dp_byline_cont_book_1

Quote: Kenneth @ 27th May 2017, 5:36 AM

Surely, as someone lucky enough to live in the States, you have easy access to old Donald Duck comics? Was about 1942 the great Carl Barks wrote/illustrated the excellent Donald Duck comic story called The Pixilated Parrot. I could only get a Gladstone reprint in 1989. Note, pixilated, not pixelated. Pixilated means annoyingly crazy/naughty, and also blotto drunko.

As for good unusual words, there's an undedicated thread: https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/3316

The books to get are these by Peter Bowler: https://www.amazon.com/Peter-Bowler/e/B000APTACO/ref=dp_byline_cont_book_1

I'm not sure what to make of the first link to the bellyaching thread. I take it it's a jab at me, but I don't get it...

Your list of books looks great, but they seem to be aimed at superior people. I am of the inferior variety, I'm afraid. :P

I think it was 'pixilated' in my book. Sorry for the mistaken example. Imteresting about the comic though. I was born in '89 so i managed to miss that one until you brought it up.

Quote: Davida Grimes @ 27th May 2017, 8:31 AM

I'm not sure what to make of the first link to the bellyaching thread. I take it it's a jab at me, but I don't get it...

No, not a jab at you. It's a careless Copy & Paste by me. I was trying to paste this link: https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/33161

Which really is for unusual words... But I inadvertently omitted the numeral 1 at the end, so it led to another thread.

Ha, oh! That makes more sense. Thanks for that!

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 5th April 2017, 4:29 PM

I am reading 'The Catcher in the Rye'. It is total and utter f**king shit. Who gives a f**k about some criminally overprivileged, pathetically underachieving spoilt Yankee wankee and his shitty, half-assed semi-pubed ''''''''''crisis'''''''''' just cos things are, like, kinda 'phoney' and not always kinda like 'nice'? There are kids starving in Africa, they whinge less than you, you prickhead. Of course life's shit, it's 1950s New York, not dawn-of-time Garden of Eden you soppy sod, and 'nice'? 'NICE'? There are 86085056875 adjectives in English, that the best the writer can do? No wonder he went into hiding. F**k you Salinger, you arrogant, pretentious, self-obsessed one-short-story-in-50-years-and-even-the-wanking-worshippers-think-it's-bollocks, make-shit-loadsa-cash-outa-readers-then-tell-'em-to-f**k-off-and-present-it-as-a-spiritual-awakening, bonk-759764653705-barely-legal-girlies-senseless-then-tell-them-to-f**k-off-too-but-still-considers-himself-a-mystical-profound-spiritual-Buddhist-Hindu-Vedanta-Wanka dickrash. F**k you.

But was it any good and did you enjoy it?

Just started to read "The great crime of Grapplewick" by Eric Sykes.

Dracula. I found out that Stokers first name is Graham. I may have been the only one to not know this.

'Snake Head' - Peter May.

Gaddafi's Harem by Annick Cojean. At times it was tough to keep reading through the unpleasant recollections of what a despicable monster Gadaffi was, raping girls and boys. Blair-haters might enjoy the bit where the author recalls Tony Blair cheerily greeting the sex-slave girls upon his way out after a meeting with Gaddafi. Ultimately, the book is not just an indictment of totalitarianism/dictatorship, but a scathing criticism of the stupid, backward, patriarchal culture of northern Africa, in which rape victims are shunned, rather than supported, Although the author's dad was decent, her two brothers felt she brought shame on the family and deserved an honour-killing.

I am currently reading Samuel Beckett's absurdist masterpiece 'Waiting for Godot'. It is total and utter f**king shit. Guy's obviously stood you up, happens to everyone, move on you pretentious tossers.

I am studying Samuel Beckett's 'Happy Days'. It is total and utter f**king shit. The scenery's unrealistic, I didn't laugh once, and how dare he kill off Fonzie?

Almost finished with 500 pages of this stuff:

Greatest modern writer has to be Salinger... Does f**k all for 45 years except one short story 'Hapworth' that EVERYONE thinks is total and utter f**king shit, but still manages to persuade Harvard University he's at home knocking out masterpiece after masterpiece, not just watching TV and wanking like everyone else. Genius.

I am currently reading 'Alice in Wonderland'. It is total and utter f**king shit. Priest famous for photographing naked kids invents false name to fantasise about pretty 10-year-old, mushroom consumption, things getting bigger / smaller / distorted? F**k you, you f**king mad f**ked-up f**ker.

No, no, no! It's the most wonderful book. Even at university I'd read it before exams to calm me down.

Do-It-Yourself Michael Monkhouse Book Review

Hello readers, bereft of original thought as I am, here's yet another insightful book review from yours truly. Only this time, you can save me some time by filling in the gaps:

I am currently reading [insert author's name]'s '[insert book title]'. It is total and utter f**king shit. Who gives a shit about some [insert snide description of main character]. You f**ked up f**king f**ker. F**k you.

I realize that my clever little screed of vulgar invective wasn't funny the first time, but I'm hoping you'll start to find it hilarious by the 100th time.