What are you reading right now? Page 219

So good. <3

Orange Wednesday by Leslie Thomas.

Working my way through all his novels again.

Quote: Chappers @ 30th August 2016, 7:49 PM

Orange Wednesday by Leslie Thomas.

Did you get two copies for the price of one? ;)

Quote: George Kaplan @ 30th August 2016, 8:02 PM

Did you get two copies for the price of one? ;)

Amazing really when you think it was written in 1967 (apparently).

I have got 2 copies of Come to the War though.

Just finished Chris Brookmyre's 'Black Widow' . Up to his usual standard with twists, turns and surprises. As usual I couldn't wait to get the the end but now wondering what I'll do now that I'm finished. The next Peter May book perhaps?

Nomad by Alan Partridge, where Magnums become Magma.

'Hag-seed' , Margaret Atwood. Can't work out whether I'm for or against the main character. Certainly not for his enemies

As a change from comedy biogs, which are now getting thin on the ground for me, I thought it would make a change to read something completely different and so picked up "Meadowlands - The Private Life of and English Field".

Wha!? I may hear you cry but it had a very good write up and is well deserved - fascinating if you like nature in all its forms, as farmer John Lewis-Stempel takes you through a year on/in one of his meadows.

Now into 'The Outrun' - Amy Liptrot. Just as I was wondering when we'd get into the story, I discovered it's what they call nowadays a 'memoir', i.e. it's her own story. It reads so much like the alcoholic horrors in the life of 'The Girl on the Train' except this is real. Very depressing at times - really makes you feel the despair of the alcoholic. However I'm only a third through it so maybe it'll become more hopeful.

'Dictator' - Robert Harris. Talk about devious politicians! It's about Cicero and unfortunately I didn't realise it's the last of a trilogy and I haven't read the other 2 books. Next stop will be Shakespeare's 'Julius Caesar' as the characters will make more sense to me now.

Paul Daniels' "Under No Illusion" - My Biography. A lengthy but interesting tome so far.

Random observation - it seems women read novels and men read non-fiction. Why? I reckon Mr. K could count on one hand the number of novels he's read.

Quote: keewik @ 4th April 2017, 11:34 PM

Random observation - it seems women read novels and men read non-fiction. Why? I reckon Mr. K could count on one hand the number of novels he's read.

I can't be bothered most of the time remembering names, plots etc.. Non-fiction is easy to pickup and put down.

Remember, we are simple creatures.

Victoria Corens For richer for poorer
A sort of autobiography intertwined with her winning a million dollars twice at poker.

Like her family trait, she is an excellent writer and tells lots of stories against herself.
She read a diary of a schoolmate and it said ' I hope Vicky leaves this school soon, everybody hates her, the fat cow'
Each chapter she recalls her hands and how she played them on her way to winning.

I am reading 'The Catcher in the Rye'. It is total and utter f**king shit. Who gives a f**k about some criminally overprivileged, pathetically underachieving spoilt Yankee wankee and his shitty, half-assed semi-pubed ''''''''''crisis'''''''''' just cos things are, like, kinda 'phoney' and not always kinda like 'nice'? There are kids starving in Africa, they whinge less than you, you prickhead. Of course life's shit, it's 1950s New York, not dawn-of-time Garden of Eden you soppy sod, and 'nice'? 'NICE'? There are 86085056875 adjectives in English, that the best the writer can do? No wonder he went into hiding. F**k you Salinger, you arrogant, pretentious, self-obsessed one-short-story-in-50-years-and-even-the-wanking-worshippers-think-it's-bollocks, make-shit-loadsa-cash-outa-readers-then-tell-'em-to-f**k-off-and-present-it-as-a-spiritual-awakening, bonk-759764653705-barely-legal-girlies-senseless-then-tell-them-to-f**k-off-too-but-still-considers-himself-a-mystical-profound-spiritual-Buddhist-Hindu-Vedanta-Wanka dickrash. F**k you.