What are you reading right now? Page 217

Quote: Kenneth @ 9th July 2016, 1:18 PM BST

And The Three Investigators? When and where did they enter the scene?

You have a good memory Kenneth, I'm impressed. A few years earlier for TTI.

Ah. I started them when in Grade 4 (age nine). Won a cash prize at school -- the teacher said I had to buy a book at lunch time, so The Green Ghost is what I found. Ended up purchasing them all over the years, all the way to The Cranky Collector (somewhat belatedly for the sake of completism). I recall there were later some "updated" ones, where the boys had girlfriends and were driving cars. Flicked through one in a bookstore. Well, f**k that shit, I thought.

What did you think of the 2 films?

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 10th July 2016, 12:57 PM BST

Might Google this, would like to read some comic books/graphic novels when I finally get some days off, I've no chance reading a novel in a week! I rarely get past 60 pages in a whole week off. Comic books and mags suit my skittish mind on hols. There's probably half the TinTin catalogue I've not read yet but some of them I find too turgid to finish, tbh, great artwork, stories too dense and complex for my simple-direct taste. Asterix on the other hand had superb stories until the writer died then they went horribly wrong.

I have enough trouble with Graphic novels because I take time to admire the artwork in each box.

Quote: malcy @ 10th July 2016, 3:11 PM BST

I've been reading The Writers Tale by Russel T Davies. Really interesting. My problem is I get halfway through a book and start another. In the middle of around 7 so finishing them one by one before I start anything else!

Is it full of gratuitous homosexuality?

Quote: Chappers @ 10th July 2016, 4:37 PM BST

I have enough trouble with Graphic novels because I take time to admire the artwork in each box.

Yes, this is mainly why I want to get some I've heard about, to admire the arty drawings. I've already made my mind up the dialogue will be pretentious. :D

Quote: Kenneth @ 10th July 2016, 3:02 PM BST

Tintin and turgid do not belong in the same sentence. Too turgid? Stories too dense? F**k me dead, as we say in Kensal Green. If you think Tintin is heavy going, then you should try something called Blake and Mortimer:

Originally by one of the geezers who assisted Hergé on a few Tintin albums. Densest damn dialogue I've ever encountered in a comic.

Sorry Kenneth but I wouldn't have known that wasn't Tintin. Wish I got on with them more, great drawings, wonderful arty covers.

Quote: Chappers @ 10th July 2016, 4:37 PM BST

Is it full of gratuitous homosexuality?

If so, it'd make a nice change from the 99% of books that are full of gratuitous heterosexuality. ;)

Probably more about writing though.

Here's a question.
Is it normal to be able read a full book (say between 350 to 600 pages) in a day and be able to retain all the information given?

I ask because I can do that but keep getting told it's not normal and that I'm odd.
Surely it's just how your brain works isn't it?

I've always been able to read really well, typing on the other hand is utter arse water,
When I was five I was able to read and understand books aimed at teenagers and young adults without very little to no trouble but it does concern me somewhat that I can do that yet no one else I know can.

Quote: Will Cam @ 10th July 2016, 4:34 PM BST

What did you think of the 2 films?

Caught the first film on TV. Thoughts below. Have been immunized against catching the second.

Quote: Kenneth @ 24th July 2010, 11:47 PM BST

The Three Investigators in the Secret of Skeleton Island. I enjoyed the The Three Investigators series of books as a child, but this film (financed by a German studio and made in South Africa) abandons the intellectual spirit of the books in favour of Home Alone style defeat-the-bad-guy-by-bopping-him-on-the-head-with-a-flowerpot shenanigans. In one awful scene the boy detectives use a laser-sighted itching powder blowgun. And of course the film is eager to show the boys are strictly heterosexual. A right load of crap. I hope the upcoming Tintin movie is better.

Quote: Sarc @ 10th July 2016, 6:30 PM BST

Is it normal to be able read a full book (say between 350 to 600 pages) in a day and be able to retain all the information given?

Completely normal, if you don't have a job or kids. Although The Book of Mormon is a bloody struggle.

The second was better than the first. A very watchable kid's film even if you have never read the books.

Sounds to me like a helluva lot of you should just stick to the Beano (except Sarc) *smirks patronisingly*

Tess of the d'Urbervilles

I loved that book. Read it in third year at school and won a prize for writing an essay about it.

Quote: Sarc @ 10th July 2016, 6:30 PM BST

I've always been able to read really well, typing on the other had is utter arse water,

;)

Quote: keewik @ 10th July 2016, 8:31 PM BST

Sounds to me like a helluva lot of you should just stick to the Beano (except Sarc) *smirks patronisingly*

Always thought the Beano was infantile crap (and surely it was intended to be). Spawned spoof fodder for Viz, but there was nothing else good about it. Attempting to compare the Beano to Tintin/Asterix* is like comparing a small dog turd to Albert Einstein.

* Goscinny era

Quote: Will Cam @ 10th July 2016, 7:55 PM BST

The second was better than the first. A very watchable kid's film even if you have never read the books.

Surely the trick must be to have NEVER read the books in order to sit through the film without shooting oneself.