What are you reading right now? Page 185

Who wrote it?

Robert Neill

It's old, from the 50's I think

Not a patch on this book , which is my favourite book of all time bar none:

Memo to self: Do not read Bill Bryson in the pub. Uncontrollable laughing and weeping are not good for my image.

I was reading (again) I'm a Stranger Here Myself about getting old and forgetfulness.

He finds himself in the basement and can't remember why nor could he go back whence he came as he couldn't remember where he started from. So sets off round the house looking for lifted floorboards, burst pipes, telephone receivers on it's side with a small voice saying 'Are you still there Bill?'

While doing this he notices a light bulb has blown so sets off to the kitchen cupboard where new ones are kept. Opening the door he thinks 'What am I doing here? and so it goes on . . .

Sorry if it's a bit lightweight for this thread but I'm a simple soul. :)

Quote: Oldrocker @ October 22 2013, 9:25 PM BST

Memo to self: Do not read Bill Bryson in the pub. Uncontrollable laughing and weeping are not good for my image.

I was reading (again) I'm a Stranger Here Myself about getting old and forgetfulness.

He finds himself in the basement and can't remember why nor could he go back whence he came as he couldn't remember where he started from. So sets off round the house looking for lifted floorboards, burst pipes, telephone receivers on it's side with a small voice saying 'Are you still there Bill?'

While doing this he notices a light bulb has blown so sets off to the kitchen cupboard where new ones are kept. Opening the door he thinks 'What am I doing here? and so it goes on . . .

Sorry if it's a bit lightweight for this thread but I'm a simple soul. :)

:) I heart him, will have to look that book up. Recently re-read Notes From A Small Island, shocking that it seems a whole different world.

I'm currently reading Poe's short stories. I am well traumatised by The Pit and The Pendulum. Recommended, if you too want to be traumatised.

Quote: AJGO @ October 26 2013, 10:30 PM BST

I'm currently reading Poe's short stories. I am well traumatised by The Pit and The Pendulum. Recommended, if you too want to be traumatised.

That's a good one. I love horror stories - my favourite way to get to sleep is to put on a horror story on the iPlayer. That is as weird as I think it is, isn't it?

Horror books don't necessarily relax me, but there's nothing more relaxing than a 1970s/80s Hammer Horror on the telly, so maybe it's a similar thing.

I'm reading Byron's Don Juan and giggled on the train at this stanza about Don Juan's classical education:

Juan was taught from out the best edition,
Expurgated by learned men, who place
Judiciously, from out the schoolboy's vision,
The grosser parts; but, fearful to deface
Too much their modest bard by this omission,
And pitying sore his mutilated case,
They only add them all in an appendix,
Which saves, in fact, the trouble of an index;

I wanted to read something vaguely educational, so popped to the library to get The Greatest Show on Earth by Richard Dawkins. Never read any of this work before, but find his style very palatable.

'A Discovery of Witches' - Deborah Harkness. I don't normally go for things to do with vampires, but this is different.

I'm going to have a quick flick through a copy of When Saturday Comes which I grabbed at the library last week.

Georges Simenon - Pietr the Latvian

Penguin Classics are publishing the entire series (75) of Maigret novels in new translations, one a month.

This is the first.

very interesting and he has a lovely conversational style of writing

I am reading

Quote: george roper @ 15th November 2013, 4:16 PM GMT

I am reading

I'm starting to think you're a sketch character...

Don't worry groper your mum will take the parental restrictions down one day

Nb can we keep smut where it belongs in the who do you fancy TT thread