What are you reading right now? Page 190

Presidential Debates by Alan Schroeder.

Quote: Ben @ 29th December 2013, 1:03 PM GMT

I picked up the Morrissey autobiography at the library yesterday. Very nicely written with a deft descriptive touch. It's maybe a little slow to start what with rather in depth back stories about his family, but I'm not struggling yet.

It's mostly very good, though he's light on details about The Smith's. Seems to skirt over most of their time together. The final third gets a little duller when he goes on about a court case, and then basically a gig list.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ 3rd January 2014, 1:53 PM GMT

It's mostly very good, though he's light on details about The Smith's. Seems to skirt over most of their time together. The final third gets a little duller when he goes on about a court case, and then basically a gig list.

I liked his music but there came a point last year when he was calling for the royals to be killed or something where I made a conscious decision that he was just to much of a self-important twat to like on any level. The fact that he insisted on his autobiography being published as a Penguin Classic just reinforces matters.

Quote: Will Cam @ 3rd January 2014, 2:25 PM GMT

The fact that he insisted on his autobiography being published as a Penguin Classic just reinforces matters.

Oh, I thought that was funny. Morrissey is a very funny person, but I think sometimes people miss the joke and assume misery/being an arse.

I liked his music but there came a point last year when he was calling for the royals to be killed or something where I made a conscious decision that he was just to much of a self-important twat to like on any level. The fact that he insisted on his autobiography being published as a Penguin Classic just reinforces matters.

http://www.morrissey-solo.com/threads/19245-current-issue-of-Viz-Morrissey-quot-still-a-Twat-quot

Quote: Matthew Stott @ 3rd January 2014, 3:20 PM GMT

Oh, I thought that was funny. Morrissey is a very funny person, but I think sometimes people miss the joke and assume misery/being an arse.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2533760/Eating-meat-bad-paedophilia-Morrissey-launches-incredible-rant-says-no-difference-abattoir-supporting-Auschwitz.html

I rest my case!

Quote: zooo @ 26th December 2013, 9:36 PM GMT

Nearly bought this at the airport a couple of days ago but all copies were sealed in plastic, so could not first peruse and judge quality. Is it any good?

The fact that he insisted on his autobiography being published as a Penguin Classic just reinforces matters.

That was the funniest aspect of the book. When literature students are asked to write an essay on what makes a classic, they can now dispense with all the stuff about pompous professors' opinions and simply answer: Penguin's greed, putting profit before protocol.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ 3rd January 2014, 1:53 PM GMT

he's light on details about The Smith's. Seems to skirt over most of their time together.

Quite. My band, I made them, Johnny Marr came knockin' at my door. And look how well I've done without them, especially in the US. I hold no enmity toward Johnny. Me bass player was a junkie and I detest the drummer for taking 25% and the scum judge who ruled in his favour. For those, such as Will Cam, seeking more details on Moz and The Smiths, this is the book to get: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mozipedia-The-Encyclopaedia-Morrissey-Smiths/dp/0091927102

Quote: Kenneth @ 5th January 2014, 3:03 AM GMT

Nearly bought this at the airport a couple of days ago but all copies were sealed in plastic, so could not first peruse and judge quality. Is it any good?

I'm enjoying it! I'm trying to learn all the elements. Sadly I don't already know them.

It's elementary dear Zooo. And the game is afoot.
Currently I am reading a James Lee Burke novel a Magnet Bunter facsimile compendium and editing a very rudely worded crime novel.

Quote: Marc P @ 5th January 2014, 9:39 AM GMT

It's elementary dear Zooo. And the game is afoot.

*thinks about Benedict Cumberbatch for a bit...*

editing a very rudely worded crime novel.

:O You devil.

Not the one you are in ;)

Quote: zooo @ 5th January 2014, 9:52 AM GMT

*thinks about Benedict Cumberbatch for a bit...*

He was rumoured to be taking the role of Q in the next Bond film but was dropped for obvious reasons.

Quote: zooo @ 5th January 2014, 9:27 AM GMT

I'm enjoying it! I'm trying to learn all the elements. Sadly I don't already know them.

Will pick up next time. I don't recall the precise wording, but part of the back cover blurb mentioned great photos of all these elements. And I wondered how they'd photograph the gases. Probably in ways cooler than my poorly illustrated old chemistry textbooks.

Quote: Will Cam @ 3rd January 2014, 12:27 AM GMT

I am 47 and think it is time to have my eyes tested as the print seems very small.

47 is pretty good going for not yet requiring glasses. A four-eyed git pal of mine claims that everyone needs glasses after they hit 40.

As Sooty said, get yourself an ereader.

Quote: Will Cam @ 3rd January 2014, 12:47 AM GMT

I refuse point blank to use an electronic reading device ...

Madness. My kindle was the best purchase I made last year. I delayed getting one for far too long because of the usual pompous, pretentious reasons. The absence of a back-light means there's no strain/glare on the eyes. Perfect for novels and simple biographies and histories. But not so great for reference books requiring the need to flip backward and forward between chapters. Your eyes will appreciate the choice of eight font display sizes.

Quote: Kenneth @ 5th January 2014, 10:22 AM GMT

Will pick up next time. I don't recall the precise wording, but part of the back cover blurb mentioned great photos of all these elements. And I wondered how they'd photograph the gases. Probably in ways cooler than my poorly illustrated old physics and chemistry textbooks.

Hehe. The pics are great.

I needed glasses when I hit about 25. :( I was very disappointed in myself. But now I quite like them. Contact lenses are for wimps.

Quote: Marc P @ 5th January 2014, 9:57 AM GMT

Not the one you are in ;)

Are you doing some sort of secret EL James style crime series...

He was rumoured to be taking the role of Q in the next Bond film but was dropped for obvious reasons.

He should really be in all films. No exceptions.

Men always make passes at girls with big arses... Sorry glasses!

Quote: zooo @ 5th January 2014, 10:29 AM GMT

Hehe. The pics are great.

I needed glasses when I hit about 25. :( I was very disappointed in myself. But now I quite like them. Contact lenses are for wimps.

Are you doing some sort of secret EL James style crime series...

He should really be in all films. No exceptions.

Q Cumberbatch?...

No more than the other books lol Although there's a nod to her novel in a shower scene in this one ;)

Quote: Marc P @ 5th January 2014, 10:32 AM GMT

No more than the other books lol Although there's a nod to her novel in a shower scene in this one ;)

Sauce!

Q Cumberbatch?...

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh. Rolling eyes