What are you reading right now? Page 178

Imagine a world with no bookshops because it's become uneconomical. And any numpty can self-publish so standards drop. writers get paid peanuts (I wait to be corrected on this by those of you who know better from experience). If you can't go in and browse in a bookshop, how do you know what to buy?

Quote: keewik @ May 11 2013, 4:49 PM BST

Imagine a world with no bookshops because it's become uneconomical. And any numpty can self-publish so standards drop. writers get paid peanuts (I wait to be corrected on this by those of you who know better from experience). If you can't go in and browse in a bookshop, how do you know what to buy?

I think these are all valid points.

I don't think book shops will disappear, but they will have to adapt.
And if your talking about independent booksellers, thank Waterstone's & Tescos , not the e-book.
The self-publishing thing is a problem.
It's great that people don't have to go through the gatekeepers anymore - anyone's allowed to paint a picture - why not write a book?
The trouble is the publishers failed to make their brands stand for anything - they had it to easy on the 'good days'.
By now you should have a couple or three publishers whose work you like - they would be your go to brands for new material - but they f**ked that up.
I think we'll see an increase in non-book brands becoming 'curators' of collections - a bit like Richard & Judy - because your right, it is a minefield.
But the same will happen with TV/film content once everything is internet based. Costs is no longer a barrier to creativity - which is great.
But it does mean anyone can make a movie/publish a book.
In terms of how do you choose, well there's still the bookshop, where I guess you'll look at hard copy but be given the choice of electric or paper version right there in store.
And I think book review sites/papers will become more popular.

But undoubtedly things will change.
But for me it's great that I can take 15 books on holiday.
It's great that I'm not cutting down trees to do so.
And it's great that more people are reading books - with the biggest proportional rise is within the e-book market.
And writers are used to getting terrible money - the established publishing industry have been doing it for decades!

Quote: Pingl @ May 10 2013, 11:56 PM BST

God I wish I could get my eleven year old to read anything except for magazines about Justin Bieber. I offered to get her a kindle, she was not enthusiastic.

Would that someone would have bought me a Kindle. Bloody things are made in China and I'm there often enough. I bought a basic Kindle 4 eInk yesterday, removed the ads, disabled the go online option and yes, much better than carrying around a heavy collection of expensive books. Glad to read they are better for the eyes than an iPad/tablet.

Question: If I fall asleep while reading in bed at night, can the Kindle handle being slept on? If they drop, are they easily broken? Are they about as sturdy as a smartphone? Will have to buy a protective casing/cover next.

Quote: keewik @ May 11 2013, 4:49 PM BST

A whole bunch of bookstores closed down in Australia over recent years, specifically outlets of two chains: Borders and Angus & Robertson. Good riddance to bad rubbish, I say. They were expensive and often poorly managed. Authors get about 10% to 20% of the bookstore sale price (as the publisher and store need to cover their costs and make a profit), while bigger-name authors obviously get higher royalties.

You can browse for books online. And it seems airports will always have bookstores (for browsing new releases) and they tend not to stock any old dross apart from the self-help, business/marketing management success (Lessons in New Paradigm Management from Tom Sawyer, ffs) and novels for frustrated spinsters/housewives (I notice this genre has finally shifted from soft to slightly more explicit with the 50 Shades stuff).

And there will always be second-hand bookstores because a lot of old stuff won't ever be converted to electronic format - although some state-run libraries are doing a good job of making digital collections. Second-hand bookstores are waning in some places now, but nostalgia for nice old printed books may surge as publishing becomes increasingly digital.

One advantage of ereaders: Most times when entering southern China, customs guys will go through my luggage and flip through any books. I once had a copy of Jung Chang's Mao biography confiscated. They've never bothered to look at my laptop or phone (and presumably will ignore the ereader). Also, that bloody Mao biography weighed a bit, so losing it meant I could bring home a set of Tintin books in Mandarin.

I've spent a small fortune on books over the years. Will always buy printed books for children, but can now give my shelves a break. Except for comics. Haven't tried to read a Viz on the Kindle yet.

I'd advise you get a cover. I have the basic model, not the new buzzer and bells one, but I only want it to read my history books on and don't really need it for anything else. They are fairly sturdy, but don't know if they would stand up to being slept on. I find it a boon, you need never need run out of reading matter, always very annoying on holiday, when you end up reading some crap left in the hotel out of desperation. They are so much better when your eyes have packed in like mine. I was very much against this whole concept at first being a traditionalist, and having grown up loving the feel and smell of books, and spending most of my life traipsing around bookshops. But you can't argue with the pure convenience of it all, although I am secretly a bit annoyed with myself for surrendering to this new technology.

I personally prefer real books. I look at enough screens in my life, I don't need another one. I like carrying a book or two around with me. How many books am I really going to get through on a holiday? No more than 4 at most, which I can easily fit in my bags.

Just finished (re-)reading:

D.M. Thomas - Lady with a Laptop

Author leads writing workshops at Greek Island holistic centre.

(My favourite living British author, and Booker Prize short-lister, couldn't get this novel published in Britain.)

Quote: JohnnyD @ May 12 2013, 10:30 AM BST

Just finished (re-)reading:

D.M. Thomas - Lady with a Laptop

Author leads writing workshops at Greek Island holistic centre.

(My favourite living British author, and Booker Prize short-lister, couldn't get this novel published in Britain.)

Can't find it online for download, but enjoyed this review:
My biggest issue with the book was the main character. He appears to be an alter ego of the writer himself, and unfortunately there is hardly a redeeming quality about his created persona. The man has a pretentious air about him to all of his students, then spends the rest of his time lamenting his lack of recognition in the literary world or reducing every woman in the program to nothing more than sexual objects whose worth is based on the likelihood of his shagging them. He comes off as shallow and spoiled, which is not all that attractive on a middle-aged balding Englishman. If the idea is to make a dirty old man the centerpiece of the novel, he would need to be much more likable to generate any sympathy for his fate.

The main character is a bit of a shit.

Thomas says on his site:

"This novel is so far published only in the USA. For some reason British publishers didn't take to it. They called it frivolous. Well, it is.

On re-reading it 15 years later, I can see their point. The style is also less taut than usual; perhaps partly because I didn't like my first-person 'hero'."

(Pictures at an Exhibition is my recommended D.M. Thomas read.)

Aw, that is a good book.

I'm reading this...

I love that she changed her name to O'Porter after she married Chris O'Dowd.

I have been reading the instructions for a Kindle for over a year. Learning Chinese was hard but the disappointment of learning Turkish only to find out that it says the same as the Chinese instructions has put me right off. I only hope the German part makes things a bit clearer.

Never use my kindle

Ever

Waste of money

Prefer the real thing

Quote: lofthouse @ May 16 2013, 1:32 PM BST

Never use my kindle

Ever

Waste of money

Prefer the real thing

Good boy! You will get your reward in Heaven.

Better not be another bloody kindle

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud