Charlie Brooker's Weekly Wipe - Series 3 Page 3

Quote: fasty @ 1st March 2015, 8:38 AM GMT

I thought she was quite funny, but every time she's on now I'm just thinking "This will upset HGT" :(

You silly, twisted boy

HGT usually watches the television with a box of man sized tissues on his lap. It helps him deal with a whole range of emotions.

Getting back on topic: this week's episode was good, although the EastEnders segment did drag somewhat.

Quote: fasty @ 1st March 2015, 8:38 AM GMT

I thought she was quite funny, but every time she's on now I'm just thinking "This will upset HGT" :(

You silly, twisted boy

Aww, you think of me when you are watching Philomena :) .........ummm, or is there summat perverse about that. :$

And you remembered my old signature. :D

I like your Flag Hippo avatar - very, very funny skit from Tim! Laughing out loud

Back in the Screenwipe days Barry Shitpeas had a purpose, he was the example z-list celebrity being dragged through the show business system. I think now on Newswipe he's not really needed, although I wouldn't want him gone completely, but every week is too much, as it's just the same joke.

I do enjoy Cunk's Moment of Wonder but again, not every week.

Charlie needs to do more segments about how things work, and break down "the bullshit" of the media, etc. His old shows felt thought out, and whilst some of these still do, the topical nature obviously gives it a sense of haste.

I think Morgana is very talented and her sketches are very accurate but I feel once you've seen one, then you've got the joke. But the writing is still good and quite clever.

I still can't work out whether the experts she speaks to are in on the joke :S

To be honest I've found this series a bit slack. We could do with more of the old Charlie venom and less TV Burp.

Quote: Lee @ 1st March 2015, 10:07 AM GMT

Back in the 'Screenwipe days Barry Shitpeas had a purpose, he was the example z-list celebrity being dragged through the show business system. I think now on Newswipe he's not really needed, although I wouldn't want him gone completely, but everyweek is too much, as it's just the same joke.

I do enjoy Cunk's moment of Wonder but again, not every week.

Charlie needs to do more segments about how things work, and break down "the bullshit" of the media, etc. His old shows felt thought out, and whilst some of these still do, the topical nature obviously gives it a sense of haste.

I think Morgana is very talented and her sketches are very accurate but I feel once you've seen one, then you've got the joke. But the writing is still good and quite clever.

I think you have nailed it. It was not as though I took an instant dislike to her, I did watch the first two or three and it just became boring. Also having a "funny" name makes me think that they know their material is not up to scratch.

You could say it was a generation thing, but my son, who is half my age, thinks the same thing - that PC and BS are rubbish.

Quote: fasty @ 1st March 2015, 10:17 AM GMT

We could do with more of the old Charlie venom and less TV Burp.

That. Said this all along.

Quote: fasty @ 1st March 2015, 10:17 AM GMT

We could do with more of the old Charlie venom and less TV Burp.

Yes, I agree, too. Anyone can say that adverts and Brand and talent shows are rubbish - and in fact doing so to a certain extent just justifies their existence - but I liked it when he gave you a background eye into TV making, that sort of explained why it turns out like it does. More pieces on commissioning, and runners, and editing, and live audiences, and news-report techniques, and all that guff, please. The little sniping gags are fine for an intro and a little light relief, but a bit more meat in between wouldn't go amiss. I'm still watching every week, and it's worth the time, but I feel a man of his talent and insight could do a lot more.

Did Stewart Lee once say that Brooker was funny, but now felt like a man moaning about the traffic from behind the wheel? If he didn't, and I made it up, it's the sort of thing he would say :D

When do people moan about traffic when they aren't behind the wheel?
God I hate Stewart lee