The Good Life Page 6

Very kind of you. Morning.

Quote: Oldrocker @ 25th February 2014, 12:53 AM GMT

Have you watched Ever Decreasing Circles?

I have to say, I've seen the 1st two series of this show and I'm convinced it's the funniest show ever. I can't understand why I haven't heard of it before!

It definitely deserves its own thread, which I may start after I see every episode! But laugh out loud is normal for this show!!!

Seems Esmonde and Larbey made a real connection with Briers while doing The Good Life and it paid of big time later.

Thanks Rocker and Rose for informing me!

Quote: Mike Selway @ 31st March 2014, 11:21 PM BST

It definitely deserves its own thread, which I may start after I see every episode!

It already has three threads. I started watching it a few weeks ago (BBC repeats) and I'm still not sure about it. I'm just not a Briers fan.

It's different with The Good Life, it has Paul Eddington in it as well whom I like a lot. Must buy the box set.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 31st March 2014, 11:27 PM BST

It already has three threads. I started watching it a few weeks ago (BBC repeats) and I'm still not sure about it. I'm just not a Briers fan.

It's different with The Good Life, it has Paul Eddington in it as well whom I like a lot. Must buy the box set.

Well then. We need to bring one of those threads back to life. I'm sure there will be others that haven't heard of it, and would love it after watching.

Thanks!

Loved The Good Life and would really like to see the specials which I have not yet. But will!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQCi67CQHXY

It's a funny clip, that one.
You can't help but smile.
Edmondson commits 250 percent there.

That said, if it's a point well made is another issue.
I find myself more amused by the sheer energy of the performance than by any actual criticism of The Good Life, for what it is.

Most of all, because The Good Life did in fact poke fun at the middle class.
But it did so from within, not from without. And it did so with wit and irony.
Not by effing telling 'em what the writers effing think of 'em.

So essentially, this is the sledgehammer accusing the rapier of elevating what is in fact ridicules.

And before anyone declares me a middle class fart in order to render my views invalid.
I very much grew up on what many would deem the wrong side of the railroad track.
But I'm still one who holds more admiration for the rapier, than for the sledgehammer.

The Good Life Box Set now £15 on Amazon. Think I'm going to have to order this. Four sitcom actors in their prime and the Beeb haven't shown this in yonks, for some reason. Feel good sitcom at its very, very best.

No you didn't, you f**ked the order up and got a torch instead. Which you kept.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 8th March 2011, 11:36 AM

Recently bought the boxset but haven't got round to watching it yet, haven't seen since the first time so I'm hoping it holds up well. The Good Life for me though, it was really strong all the way through and looks great today. If EDC is half as good now, I'll enjoy it.

Finally rectified, after ten long years. :)

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 31st January 2021, 12:07 PM

No you didn't, you f**ked the order up and got a torch instead. Which you kept.

Finally rectified, after ten long years. :)

And this bloke is in charge of the CLIQUE.......................... :P

Very *good* sitcom by the way. *Did you see what I did there* Laughing out loud for those missing Rood Eye shit face

Tonight's episode on BBC Four (Series 1 Episode 3): Tom & Barbara are having their phone disconnected and the engineer is walking out the door with it under his arm as Margo calls round. "Oh the GPO I see," she says.

"No, Lady," he replies, "I'm an eccentric millionaire; I get so many phone calls I have to carry a phone around with me."

Cue hoots of laughter all round at such an image.

Amazing. I've always considered it one of the more recent past sitcoms. But it was 1975 -1978!!!

And it still looks as fresh as a daisy to me, even though you can tell from the clothes and décor it's the mid 70s. Something about it always seems relevant, which must be the green movement aspect, as that's been with us ever since. And then with lockdown, a lot of people have appreciated a simpler way of life. Always good to see it. One thing I notice more these days is how tall Margot is.

The two main characters are Tom and Jerry, I don't know whether that was deliberate or just coincidental.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 14th July 2021, 7:53 AM

One thing I notice more these days is how tall Margot is.

"The Wrath of Zooo", but I like to take risks :D...................Yes, she was a big piece, and phwoar! Lovey

I would fancy her too if I was that way inclined.