The Good Life Page 5

I Loved The Good Life Really funny and enjoyable sitcom .

The formula the writers struck on for TGL was the key, it was brilliant. An otherwise middling, cosy looking sitcom idea made fantastic by Tom does this, Margot makes that snooty face, Barbara scrunches her face in a huff, Jerry agrees and makes Margot cross, Margot feels guilty, tries to make amends, Tom & Barbara laugh at her failed attempt to stay clean, Tom messes the thing up, they all laugh at him while he has a huff. Intricate stuff for a sitcom.

I've seen the first 5 episodes now and this show is rapidly becoming my favourite!

I cracked up when Richard Briers patted Penelope Keith's rump and said "nice bit of thigh there Margot"!

A man after my own heart!

I hope PBS runs all of the Series, but either way, I may buy the DVD set. I enjoy it that much!

Have finally seen all episodes except the specials, and will say that this is now one of my favourites of the older Britcoms. Tom Good and Mike of "A Fine Romance" are now my favourite male leads. I like characters (and people) that don't think they're too good to get their hands dirty. And I'm also a Bob Larbey fan. :D

Hope to see the specials, but have heard nothing of the local PBS airing them. I'll get the DVD if I need to. Wouldn't mind getting the complete set!

Quote: Mike Selway @ 24th February 2014, 9:15 PM GMT

Have finally seen all episodes except the specials, and will say that this is now one of my favourites of the older Britcoms. Tom Good and Mike of "A Fine Romance" are now my favourite male leads. I like characters (and people) that don't think they're too good to get their hands dirty. And I'm also a Bob Larbey fan. :D

Hope to see the specials, but have heard nothing of the local PBS airing them. I'll get the DVD if I need to. Wouldn't mind getting the complete set!

Have you watched Ever Decreasing Circles ?

Quote: Oldrocker @ 25th February 2014, 12:53 AM GMT

Have you watched Ever Decreasing Circles ?

I have not. But, a quick search tells me why I should. Richard Briers AND Bob Larbey again! Presently working on getting the Mulberry episodes from YouTube, but "Ever Decreasing Circles" is now also on the list. It is one of my goals to watch as much of Larbey, Richard Briers, and Michael Williams as I can.

Thanks so much for the suggestion!!!

I love The Good Life but think that Ever Decreasing Circles is even better. I don't believe it's ever been aired on PBS or the usual channels that air Britcoms in Canada so I didn't know what to expect when I bought the DVDs. It made a dedicated Richard Briers fan of me.

By the way, check out Hope it Rains by Larbey and his frequent writing partner John Esmonde. You can see it all on YouTube, I believe. Another favourite.

I will probably wrap up my Mulberry project this weekend and will watch the interview with Larbey on the ending. I'm finding the show mysteriously intriguing and habit forming. Even after seeing only one season, I can see why folks were disappointed by the early canceling.

Am in the process of downloading the "Ever Decreasing Circles" and "Hope It Rains" episodes and looking forward to seeing them. Took a sneak peak at EDC episode one. I'm just plain biased. Richard Briers just makes me laugh. Can't help it! ;)

Just to keep this ON TOPIC, I'll say that watching The Good Life has inspired me to try to watch all the Bob Larbey and/or Richard Briers material I can get hold of.

Penelope Keith gets most of the plaudits, but the subtlety of Paul Eddington's performance is awesome. A great and much missed actor.

Quote: paulted @ 8th March 2014, 5:53 PM GMT

Penelope Keith gets most of the plaudits, but the subtlety of Paul Eddington's performance is awesome. A great and much missed actor.

I love him in Yes, (Prime-)Minister. Very funny man...as you said, in a very subtle way. I know this may sound like blasphemy in every Brit's ear, but I prefer him to Richard Briers.

Quote: Mike Selway @ 8th March 2014, 4:20 PM GMT

I will probably wrap up my Mulberry project this weekend and will watch the interview with Larbey on the ending. I'm finding the show mysteriously intriguing and habit forming. Even after seeing only one season, I can see why folks were disappointed by the early canceling.

Am in the process of downloading the "Ever Decreasing Circles" and "Hope It Rains" episodes and looking forward to seeing them. Took a sneak peak at EDC episode one. I'm just plain biased. Richard Briers just makes me laugh. Can't help it! ;)

Just to keep this ON TOPIC, I'll say that watching The Good Life has inspired me to try to watch all the Bob Larbey and/or Richard Briers material I can get hold of.

You won't be disappointed with EDC I feel sure - just finished watching the whole series again. Brilliant, every episode. Richard Briers superb!

I don't know why Howard and Hilda didn't get a spin-off series. Rolling eyes

Yes, and despite the cosy suburban setting, hardly ever leaving the Goods' kitchen or the Leadbetters' sitting room, The Good Life was remarkably sharp. Four actors at the top of their game.

I've just been re-watching this great British classic on DVD and it's as good today as it was the first time I saw it. :)

Yes there's something about TGL that defies ageing or dating. The clothes and décor look very dated but the whole feel of the show seems fresh as ever all the time. I might analyse it and see if I can steal the formula. It has to be something to do with the feel good factor of the show. Highly rewatchable sitcom. :)

You certainly analysed the structure perfectly a few posts back.