Should BBC3/BBC4 get the chop?

It's well known that the BBC is currently experiencing money difficulties. Despite the fact that we all have to pay the license fee poll tax, they've stretched themselves too thinly and cuts are going to have to be made. One of the possibilities is that BBC3 or BBC4 might get axed? Would people miss them if they did go? Especially in relation to comedy? For me, personally, I don't think they've added a great deal to the comedy environment. Sure, both channels have had good shows, but they'd have come about anyway on either BBC1 or BBC2. I have no real affection for either channel. What should be protected is Radio 4, which is genuinely a gem and still has a good track record for producing good comedy. I'd be lost without my 6:30 fix.

News 24 could be axed as well to save money. And, as much as I love Jonathan Ross, he'd still want to work for the BBC if they paid him less than the obscene money he's getting now. Oh, and whoever commissioned Davina McCall's chatshow should be sacked ASAP. And possibly jailed.

Maybe one of them could be axed. There is supposed to be a distinct difference but I'm buggered if I know what it is.

It is good to have a space for new things that won't go mainstream until they've been tried out.

Also they've got loads of digital radio stations which to some extent are unnecessary because they overlap each other.

A couple of years ago I wouldn't have had any hesitation in ditching BBC3 or BBC4, mainly because I didn't have Freeview and so didn't watch them.

I still don't watch them much (they might as well rename BBC3 'The Two Pints Channel') however I think ditching them now would be a huge mistake. Digital TV is expanding and the BBC needs to be a part of that IMHO.

Whilst most comedy on BBC3 is rubbish, it does at least act as a nice learning nursery for people in the industry (both in front of and behind the camera). These people can then go on and produce funny stuff for the main channels.

One other thing to bear in mind: if the channels were axed more of the public service broadcasting stuff (lifestyle documentaries, long operas etc) would have to be moved back onto BBC1 and BBC2 where they'd clog up the schedules.

The BBC would launch an HD service on Freeview overnight if it could. There are certainly no plans to axe any of the DVB channels, it's just a rumour that's built up after Paxman (?) suggested it.

Not sure about the notion that the BBC is experiencing financial 'difficulties' either, to be honest. Yes, they've been trying to cut costs, but then isn't everyone? Now if you're talking ITV, there's a network that really does have problems.

But for argument's sake, I've got to vote against the idea. Yes, both channels (particularly BBC Three) need to clean themselves up a bit, bit getting rid of them won't do any good.

Oh, and it's licence, not license. We're not bloody Yanks! >_<

I wouldn't mind if 3 went, I mean, how many times can you watch Dr Who, Little Britain and Two Pints (none at all in my case regarding the latter!)? But 4 has some nice documentaries and archive stuff on it.

I love BBC3 and BBC4.

Don't get rid of them :(

Quote: Bad dog @ September 11, 2007, 11:36 AM

I wouldn't mind if 3 went, I mean, how many times can you watch Dr Who, Little Britain and Two Pints (none at all in my case regarding the latter!)? But 4 has some nice documentaries and archive stuff on it.

Totally agree. The only thing I would miss from BBC 3 would be Dog Borstal. On the other hand BBC 4 has some great documentaries like the Arena and Storyville strands (if you haven't seen the RFK documentery then i urge you to do so). It also has the Thick of It and Days That Changed The World which are TV at its best. The amount of home grown quality output it has compared to say More 4, which buys stuff in from America, is immense.

Quote: zooo @ September 11, 2007, 1:06 PM

I love BBC3 and BBC4.

Don't get rid of them :(

Me Too

BBC One should be axed, because it is a big bag of shite.

I only watch BBC3 and 4. If you closed them down you would be depriving my cortical pathways of electrical stimulation.

The highest ratings on BBC3 incidentally are from the Eastenders repeat, which tells you all you need to know about the f**kwits who watch TV in this country.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ September 12, 2007, 12:01 AM

BBC One should be axed, because it is a big bag of shite.

Laughing out loud Yes, I agree!!

I like BBC2 and BBC4 for Screenwipe. That's about it.

If only charlie were a commissioning editor. 'Sting Cares' and 'Wanking for Coins' would sit nicely in the early evening schedule on One.

I think it is important that BBC3 & BBC4 should remain but not in their present state.BBC3 which I watch more than BBC4 shows to many repeats of the same programme & episodes like '2 pints'(which is being shown also on UK Gold as well!).I have nothing against repeats as long as it is somthing different.
For example I liked 'Still Game' but there was only one chance to see it,they easily could have repeated on BBC3/4.
There are many comedy/dramas that have appeared through the years that easily could be put on.Considering how old the BBC is, the amount programmes they have access to they could fill the schedule easily.
Don't get me wrong it is still important that new programming should continue there has been some good programmes made from BBC3/BBC4 but lot of crap as well.

I think that there should be a new channel, BBC Comedy, where the work their way through the entirety of the archives. :D

Ah thought this was about a new BBC live meat raffle.

I'll just move along.

Quote: buzzy @ September 12, 2007, 8:11 AM

I have nothing against repeats as long as it is somthing different. For example I liked 'Still Game' but there was only one chance to see it, they easily could have repeated on BBC3/4.

There are many comedy/dramas that have appeared through the years that easily could be put on. Considering how old the BBC is, the amount programmes they have access to they could fill the schedule easily.

Don't get me wrong it is still important that new programming should continue there has been some good programmes made from BBC3/BBC4 but lot of crap as well.

buzzy, I think you're my new best friend - you talk a lot of sense!