Newsjack - Series 10 Page 17

Quote: Richard Woolford @ 6th March 2014, 11:46 PM GMT

I felt the same and mine was the very last sketch. Its on iPlayer though so I look forward to hearing it all

Which one was that Richard?

I felt the same and mine was the very last sketch. Its on iPlayer though so I look forward to hearing it all

Was that the Alan Pardew one?

Romesh isn't mentioned in the credits, did he actually write any of it?

That was a great last sketch - awesome stuff! I was waiting for my one-liner to come through and every time someone said 'Breaking News' or 'Coming Up' my heart skipped a beat. Then my one-liner was a TV listing at the end. So yeah - tomorrow I'll be able to enjoy the show properly!

Yeah mine was the Alan Pardew always using his head thing. Was so weird to hear it out loud! Great performance and there was lots of good stuff so well done to everyone who got in.

Quote: Richard Woolford @ 7th March 2014, 12:12 AM GMT

Yeah mine was the Alan Pardew always using his head thing. Was so weird to hear it out loud! Great performance and there was lots of good stuff so well done to everyone who got in.

That was really funny and had a fantastic punchline.

Quote: Winger @ 7th March 2014, 12:14 AM GMT

That was really funny and had a fantastic punchline.

This Rolling eyes

Hmmm... It's certainly a very different beast.

I think most sections had but the 1 sketch and the one-liners seemed to be mostly unrelated to the news. I'm not convinced Romesh worked as well as could be: a couple of times he struck me as almost needy, such as when trying to persuade the audience the A&E IOU joke was worth more... That kind of thing can work with live stand up, but felt wrong to me on a show like NJ.

I said to a friend last week that it sounded a big enough departure from the old NJ that they should have run this as a new show and kept old-style NJ going. The first show just makes me think that would have been better:

- Keep old-NJ as open submission topical comedy
- Have Romesh's Weekly Review for fairly general open-submission sketch & 1-liners which may have some topical link but don't need to.
- Have TSWYW (and possibly small scenes) as open submission sketch totally unrelated to the news.

Oh well, maybe it'll take time to bed in - though I suspect that being the first show in the new format, this one will heavily influence what the style of submissions for the rest of the series.

I didn't really like the non topical one liners and the Romesh stand up routine cutting into the show at the start, could of squeezed a couple more of the public's jokes in there.

Space cadets and Neeson was hilarious.

who did the I O U joke then ? ha ha

Congratulations to all those who got something on - especially those three sketches BigBro, UK Space cadets and Pardew - thought they were some of the strongest sketches on the night. And, looking at the positives, maybe that means more opps for open-sub sketches this series?

I'm amazed they kept the A&E / IOU one in! They really are trying to capture a live stand-up show feel.

Quote: StephenM @ 7th March 2014, 9:24 AM GMT

I'm amazed they kept the A&E / IOU one in! They really are trying to capture a live stand-up show feel.

I really liked the joke, and tbh NHS financial worries is a lot more topical than much of the show, just didn't like Romesh pleading for laughter after it...

I thought Romesh' opening monologue was really good but kept thinking 'who's writing this?' and 'get to the sketches'. Straight off the bat, it was a different show.

Some of the one liners were terrific and some were really not that good.

The Pardew sketch was excellent, as already said, and it was great to hear the very talented Morgana Robinson. But they're rotating the squad aren't they?

Does anyone know if they have writers in 'the room'? I had a chat with one of them last year (I won't name) who was in there for several days working on material, or so he said.

Anyway, we've all got some idea of what to do. I'm fighting the fear of change and will probably have another listen before starting some notes this weekend.

for downloading:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/newsjack

Quote: mikemcc @ 7th March 2014, 9:31 AM GMT

Does anyone know if they have writers in 'the room'? I had a chat with one of them last year (I won't name) who was in there for several days working on material, or so he said.

Yes they do have a Tuesday writers' room still and I'm told there was fewer people in for the first Tuesday and Romesh is in the room with them. Think he's going to be a bit more hands on than previous hosts in terms of writing.

My two pennies worth - I wasn't particularly impressed. I thought the russell brand sketch was just an excuse to get Morgana to do the impression, the liam neeson sketch I laughed, then I smiled, then I thought yeah alright, then I thought enough already.

The sketches seemed to go on longer (or was that just me), nothing wrong with that inheritantly if consistant jokes but shorter punchier sketches are what they pushed us towards (or, again, was that just me).

The Pardew sketch was great and a couple of the one liners had me laughing but I'd rather have a bad topical gag than a bad silly gag.

When Romesh was part of a sketch it didn't feel like he was part of it, like he was doing it becasue there was no one else.