Green Wing Page 2

Just dug out my DVD of series 2 and watching episode 1 now.

So brilliant and original.

Quote: Tim Walker @ October 31 2007, 4:02 AM GMT

I think it's the way British comedy will eventually go in pushing the boundaries. There is, indeed, something for everyone, it had an army of writers under the control of a the people concerned with plot. Its style was innovative (the fast-forwarding and slowing-down of time must have been inspired by someoone who's a fan of 'Donny Darko') and helped pace the comedy.

Overall, it was very funny, silly and throwaway (no bad thing), especially the first series. Oh, and Mark Heap is brilliant. (Think I've mentioned this before.)

I don't think it's a classic, but I think it deserves a big pat on the back for innovation.
I did watch a few of the first series, and enjoyed it.
If it had been 30 minutes long as opposed to a slightly flabby 40 or whatever it was, then I would have definitely watched the whole run.

It probably was carried a lot by the performances of certain actors and the treatment rather than the script.

Incidentally I remember a big sub-section on this show. Have most of those threads disappeared?

Sub-forum. They were merged into the appropriate other forums long ago.

Quote: Chappers @ February 19 2010, 9:18 PM GMT

Incidentally I remember a big sub-section on this show. Have most of those threads disappeared?

Ironically, this will probably mirror the fate of the show. When it first came out a lot of people raved about it, but I don't think it will age too well and will end up largely forgotten.

It shouldn't be forgotten. It is brilliant and needs a repeat showing. Are you reading this Channel 4?

Quote: Chappers @ March 4 2010, 9:08 PM GMT

It shouldn't be forgotten. It is brilliant and needs a repeat showing. Are you reading this Channel 4?

I'm sure I remember reading not so long ago that this was one of the shows in the deal UKTV did with channel 4, meaning it could be repeated on G.O.L.D or Dave

EDIT: This link says it should be shown on G.O.L.D: http://uktv.co.uk/network/item/aid/626959

Oooh yey!

You don't have that channel, do you?

Quote: Aaron @ March 10 2010, 12:08 PM GMT

You don't have that channel, do you?

I don't know. Have to check.

You'd need Virgin Media, Sky, or Top Up TV. Don't think it's on any other platforms.

For those interested, G.O.L.D. is beginning a repeat run of the first series starting next week. Sadly it is on at five minutes to midnight.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ February 15 2011, 12:25 PM GMT

five minutes to midnight.

Isn't that the current Doomsday Clock setting for the Earth?

I loved this series. Am just rewatching it now and it's still fresh, original and better than anything that has come since. I believe it's a classic - you can see its influence in a lot of later shows.

It makes the thought of comedy going back to stuff like "My Family" deeply depressing.

If you look at the music, the performances, and the way things speed up and slow down (cinematography, if you like) and compare it to Campus it's obvious which one is superior...