Borat

Saw it last night and thought they did a really good job, the funniest film I've seen in a long time. There were a number of laugh out louds moments (in particular, the driving instructor scene, the bit where they stay at the jewish couple's B&B and the naked fight).

I'm glad that they avoided the Ali G route of placing in him in a fictional setting, but they also didn't overload the film with hoax interviews. It has a narrative structure that works well. It also takes an unexpected detour around halfway through and produces some tender moments that are surprisingly effective.

I agree - a very good film. Unfortunately that naked fight is going to leave me scarred for life, funny but oh so wrong *shudders*

I loved the scenes with his neighbour...."He is my neighbour Mushutantu Yakbai. He is pain in my assholes. I get window from a glass, he must get window from a glass. I get a step, he must get a step. I get a clock radio, he can not afford! Great success!"

i haven't seen the movie, only the TV show bits and I think it's really boring and overrated.

I didn't dig the TV slots one bit either but I liked the film alot. It's amazing what a sprinkling of narrative can do.

Oh, ok, maybe I'll give it a watch at some stage. Years ago I went to see Kevin and Perry Go Large at the cinema and I think I still haven't recovered. I only really like Porridge the movie, and Naked Gun is a good extension of Police Squad. Generally though I reckon TV-to-movie comedy is a bad idea.

One I'll add, which may have been mentioned elsewhere is South Park the Movie. I dismissed that film for ages thinking it'll just be an extended episode of the cartoon, but with lots of swearing. However when i was finally forced to watch it, I can't remember laughing so much at a film.

I'm reserving judgement on Borat, I've been stung before getting excited about films and they turn out to be total garbage. I have heard good reports though, from people I trust so fingers crossed.

What’s up, vanilla face! This is one of those rare occasions where a movie lives up to the hype. And it's worth seeing just for the bit where Borat sings the Kazakhstan national anthem at the rodeo. Altogether now...

"Kazakhstan is the greatest country in the world
All other countries are run by little girls
Kazakhstan number one exporter of potassium
Other countries have inferior potassium"

no offence, but that's put me off it again.

Quote: Scott Taylor @ November 13, 2006, 10:48 AM

no offence, but that's put me off it again.

None taken. I wasn't trying to convince you to go and see it. Chances are that if you don't like the TV spots, you won't enjoy the film.

Just rewatched this for the first time since seeing it at the cinema and think it's probably one of the funniest films of the 00s. Why aren't there more films this funny?!

Agree with Ben.
I saw it at the Cinema and can't remember laughing at a movie so much.
with the possible exception of the Naked Gun or Airplane

Sorry if mentioned elsewhere here earlier, but I only just saw this wonderful blooper:
A Kazakh shooting gold medallist is stunned as the comedy national anthem from the film Borat is played for her victory in Kuwait instead of the real one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B39cenrIQW0

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ April 14 2012, 3:00 AM BST

Agree with Ben.
I saw it at the Cinema and can't remember laughing at a movie so much.
with the possible exception of the Naked Gun or Airplane

Bang on.

Dan

I bought this at a Charity Shop recently and watching it for the first time. Loving every minute!