When/Why did the BCG become so dull & lifeless? Page 6

Quote: Godot Taxis @ October 5 2013, 1:58 AM BST

I've been posting since the beginning more or less and I don't remember any fun and interesting people.

Laughing out loud Classic

Quote: Tursiops @ October 5 2013, 10:45 AM BST

Sexism, racism etc. are legitimate topics for a comedy forum.

Could I please retract that remark?

People are not going to agree on what is or is not offensive, so the discussion just ends up as an excuse to bait the more easily offended.

Which is boring, and kind of mean.

As a liberal I am happy to defend the right of others to disapprove of things I find funny.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ October 5 2013, 12:39 PM BST

Not at all, it's not all as extreme as that rigid evaluation, the nasty stuff is, but that's never been more than a portion of it. So much of it is just light difference conscious social humour. Nor do so many of the people you speak for find it so alienating or offensive either, imo. I've been on social occasions with India continental Asians, not asked what their religion is, someone's made a joke or two your Guardian reader would have a convulsion over and they've genuinely enjoyed it. That is an instance of unPC humour being genuinely inclusive and a greater force for integration than your puritanical bolt faced PC 'Not allowed to mention it' formality will ever do! That to me is the real evil.

Where does that get us? Absolutely nowhere, and it doesn't understand that groups actually want to be a bit more unPC themselves, it's patronising and fundamentally wrong in its assessment of racial groups in particular. It's a well known urban myth or fact, it doesn't matter either way to me, that the guy who came up with the 'Why aren't Asians good at football?' joke was an Asian, just as the person who first aired it on a TV show in the 90s was. You mixed with a group of Asian males ever? they love humour and banter as much as anyone and have no problem with the type of humour above.

Surely you recognise the difference between making jokes within a social group about people in that social group, and making generic stereotypical jokes about anyone? Making un-PC jokes at the expense of your friends, when your aim is to make your friends laugh is so different from just making un-PC jokes in general. The same way it's ok to take the piss out of your friends, but not out of passing strangers.

Quote: Tursiops @ October 5 2013, 12:32 PM BST

I know Aaron finds Critique, an embarrassment, and I don't blame him

I don't know that that's really the right word! I think he just personally isn't interested in it. And therefore never ventures there.

I agree with TW, it's not as fun anymore (for me anyway).

Quote: Tursiops @ October 5 2013, 12:47 PM BST

People are not going to agree on what is or is not offensive, so the discussion just ends up as an excuse to bait more easily offended.

Would that be me? ;)

I'm not actually that easily offended, but I am unwilling to allow people to talk utter shite without challenging it. I chose my username with care...

Quote: Nil Putters @ October 5 2013, 12:56 PM BST

Forums are
Like an orgy if everyone sits in the corner complaining and wanking

Its their fault if it's tragic

Quote: Harridan @ October 5 2013, 12:52 PM BST

Surely you recognise the difference between making jokes within a social group about people in that social group, and making generic stereotypical jokes about anyone? Making un-PC jokes at the expense of your friends, when your aim is to make your friends laugh is so different from just making un-PC jokes in general. The same way it's ok to take the piss out of your friends, but not out of passing strangers.

But this is where you lot fall down, you over intellectualise and analyse what is light, instinctive humour that makes most people laugh, it really isn't a Nazi like conspiracy to alienate and demonize groups. Perhaps the big clue in it all is that the Nazis had zero sense of humour. The PC brigade have got it all completely wrong, and are closer to the Nazis than most others are.

Quote: sootyj @ October 5 2013, 1:01 PM BST

Forums are

Laughing out loud

Quote: sootyj @ October 5 2013, 1:01 PM BST

Forums are

:O :O :O

Sick

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ October 5 2013, 1:01 PM BST

But this is where you lot fall down, you over intellectualise and analyse what is light, instinctive humour that makes most people laugh, it really isn't a Nazi like conspiracy to alienate and demonize groups. Perhaps the big clue in it all is that the Nazis had zero sense of humour. The PC brigade have got it all completely wrong, and are closer to the Nazis than most others are.

Godwin!

Nobody said it was a conspiracy. It's a subconscious cultural phenomenon, and drawing attention to these subconscious behavioural patterns is the only way to change them. Hence political philosophy, feminism, civil rights etc. etc. Pointing out the sheer volume of apparently insignificant little things is how things develop.

Quote: Nil Putters @ October 5 2013, 12:56 PM BST

It could just be that going down the same pub with the same group of mates each night gets tedious...

Not Enough Cotter.

Quote: Harridan @ October 5 2013, 1:06 PM BST

Godwin!

Nobody said it was a conspiracy. It's a subconscious cultural phenomenon, and drawing attention to these subconscious behavioural patterns is the only way to change them. Hence political philosophy, feminism, civil rights etc. etc.

And, with no personal intent whatsoever, claptrap. If I may, most people just ain't as touchy as our over anal-listic lefties want them to be. Imo.

Quote: Tursiops @ October 5 2013, 1:11 PM BST

It could just be that going down the same pub with the same group of mates each night gets tedious...

Or as Tim has apparently been doing, watching them talk for years without joining in. The blimmin' weirdo. :O