When/Why did the BCG become so dull & lifeless? Page 3

I think you're right that the loss of classic posters haven't been replaced with decent newcomers. Gordon Bennett is one of the few notable exceptions. I think the loss of Aaron has also hurt the board. I suspect that as the website is bigger now he can't post so much due to the harm it could cause.

I think that's true, we kinda forget that Mark and Aaron put in vast amounts of energy. So if they want a little more of the spoils of their creation, good for them.

As someone who wasn't here in the good old days (you hipster) my 2cents are as follows:

When the BSG/BCG was younger there would have been fewer people here who were regulars, and so it would have been easier to foster a community where you all knew each other very well and could banter with each other as a result. A well-matched group of friends online can be exclusionary to new-comers who don't know the in-jokes and aren't familiar enough to really join in with the banter, and so those new-comers will find other ways to interact with the site. As people from the original close-knit group lose interest and fall away that group ceases to be the dominant voice of the forum. Ta-da!

I think if we all sat around all day complaining about the state of British comedy this site would be intolerably dull.

But I think that over the last year quite a lot of regular posters (who were funny and interesting and had a lot of back-and-forth banter or debates) have been driven away from here for one reason or another. I notice that many are coming back now, so maybe things will start to get more fun for you, but only if you accept that things change.

Interesting I'd say when I started BCG was far cliquier, but that may just be because I felt excluded.
It was packed out with refugees from 4laughs which had gone tits up about 6 months or a year earlier. That and a few of other writing groups, so it took a while to get into the groove.
I was lucky as I had a bit of a run on NewsRevue and so kinda got an in off the back of that. The good old days weren't so great,when I started there was a really grating tolerance for racism, sexism etc on the basis that it was
"all just good fun bring back the Black and White Minstrels!"

As for discussing comedy, you're dead right, how dull would that be?
It's only fun with controversial or terrible shows.

Quote: sootyj @ October 5 2013, 9:15 AM BST

Interesting I'd say when I started BCG was far cliquier, but that may just be because I felt excluded.
It was packed out with refugees from 4laughs which had gone tits up about 6 months or a year earlier. That and a few of other writing groups, so it took a while to get into the groove.
I was lucky as I had a bit of a run on NewsRevue and so kinda got an in off the back of that. The good old days weren't so great,when I started there was a really grating tolerance for racism, sexism etc on the basis that it was
"all just good fun bring back the Black and White Minstrels!"

As for discussing comedy, you're dead right, how dull would that be?
It's only fun with controversial or terrible shows.

I noticed a clique when I got here, too, but now that seems to have dissipated. Which just means that you and I have drunk the kool-aid.

The tolerance for sexism (it's only a jooooke! God! Get a sense of humour!) was alive and well 6 months ago, but there are suddenly lots more women on the site and I've noticed a nice change in the atmosphere around here. And those window boxes are delightful.

The rot set in when people started hiding their online status.

Why try to engage someone in debate when you don't know if they're there?

Quote: JohnnyD @ October 5 2013, 9:40 AM BST

The rot set in when people started hiding their online status.

Why try to engage someone in debate when you don't know if they're there?

How funny I never notice that.

nb congrats on your award? Or am I mistaking you for some one else?

Mistaking me. Sadly.

Quote: Harridan @ October 5 2013, 9:23 AM BST

I noticed a clique when I got here, too, but now that seems to have dissipated. Which just means that you and I have drunk the kool-aid.

The tolerance for sexism (it's only a jooooke! God! Get a sense of humour!) was alive and well 6 months ago, but there are suddenly lots more women on the site and I've noticed a nice change in the atmosphere around here. And those window boxes are delightful.

Yes sexism seems never too truly vanish. I think it went through a brief and rather surreal high point, but there's a lot less of it now isn't there?
I dunno seems that way after certain posters moved onto fields greener...

There is a bit of a clique, but it's very welcoming. So you, Jennie and Nat etc seem like you've been here forever.

I do wish critique felt a bit more love.

And yes it's nice that the place has more ladies.

Critique depresses the f**k out of me

I might have pointed out to Harridan that her 'there are suddenly lots more women on the site' in a thread about how dull the site has become ...

A nice can of worms for lively debate.

Really? Why?

But I don't know if she's online.

Can I suggest that you look up the difference between starting a debate and picking a fight?

Quote: Harridan @ October 5 2013, 9:56 AM BST

Can I suggest that you look up the difference between starting a debate and picking a fight?

Does that chat up line ever work?

kidding, neat response.

I do miss the old "worst idea...." threads even if I started most of them. There was something cool about knowing there was a bunch of other people sneakily, competitively dicking about on line. And sometimes having to explain why they'd burst out laughing.