Red Dwarf - Series 8

I was surprised to find there wasn't a thread for this specific series of a much-loved show. I never watched it but what do British Sitcom or maybe Comedy Guide people think about it, even though I'm not really bothered? Was the "Pete" 2-parter any good or did that signal the beginning of the end?

I never watched Series 8.

Casandra is hot.

Quote: Shandonbelle @ July 24 2013, 10:52 AM BST

I never watched Series 8.

You really are a smeg!

I love the actress who played Kochanski (Chloe Annett or something) in this...although bringing this character in full time was a crap idea. Kochanski worked for me as an idealised fantasy of Lister. Her appearances in short flashbacks were good. But as a regular crew member she lost her near mythic status.

Can we have a Red Dwarf Series 9 thread?

Sorry I got Cassandra and Kochanski confused!

You are kidding! Kochanski is AWESOME! She compliments the crew well. It works much better than as just a fantasy. And you've got that whole sexual tension. And it's not annoying sexual tension like Rachel from Friends, or Daphne from Frasier... This is Christine Kochanski! Awwwww! Think of Krytie TV! Couldn't have done that as a flash back! I'm still trying to work "As your friend, I have to see you naked" into a conversation. I just haven't found the right time yet.

Series VIII is as good as any, if not better! Especially because it has Christine Kochanski, and Captain Hollister.

...Sorry if you could hear me drooling as I typed that.

Quote: Chop In A Toaster @ July 25 2013, 9:28 AM BST

Sorry I got Cassandra and Kochanski confused!

You are kidding! Kochanski is AWESOME! She compliments the crew well. It works much better than as just a fantasy. And you've got that whole sexual tension. And it's not annoying sexual tension like Rachel from Friends, or Daphne from Frasier... This is Christine Kochanski! Awwwww! Think of Krytie TV! Couldn't have done that as a flash back! I'm still trying to work "As your friend, I have to see you naked" into a conversation. I just haven't found the right time yet.

Series VIII is as good as any, if not better! Especially because it has Christine Kochanski, and Captain Hollister.

...Sorry if you could hear me drooling as I typed that.

I'm drooling as well. But I think it would have been better if it was a complete different character. For me the full time appearance of Kochanski destroyed the magic of the earlier episodes' flashbacks... and it didn't help that the two already had a common past. Lister would have had to put a lot more effort into trying to pull her if it was a new character. And even Rimmer would have been allowed to flirt with her.

I didn't have the distraction of fancying her, and I didn't think the character worked at all. Like Gordon says, she worked well as the occasional flashback character, not as a permanent one.

I think this is a better series than people give it credit for. After the disasterous Series 7 they took the show in a new direction and although it wasn't wholly succesful it still delivered laughs.

Kochanski was annoying. And smug. And pointless. Her "cottage cheese with pineapple chunks" line made me want to slap her with a wet kipper. Lister, a man who has survived single handedly in space for 8 years, becomes a complete drip around her.

Cassandra is easily the best episode in this series. Whilst there were some good performances, I think the return to Red Dwarf took something away from the show. Being trapped in the claustrophobic Star Bug, with constant threats from the outside world and constant irritations from within, brought the best out of this show.

Quote: Jennie @ July 26 2013, 7:45 PM BST

And smeg.

Enough already.

Quote: Jennie @ July 26 2013, 7:45 PM BST

Kochanski was annoying. And smug. And pointless. Her "cottage cheese with pineapple chunks" line made me want to slap her with a wet kipper. Lister, a man who has survived single handedly in space for 8 years, becomes a complete drip around her.

Cassandra is easily the best episode in this series. Whilst there were some good performances, I think the return to Red Dwarf took something away from the show. Being trapped in the claustrophobic Star Bug, with constant threats from the outside world and constant irritations from within, brought the best out of this show.

Agree with most of what you wrote.
But: Star Bug wasn't that claustrophobic...sometimes it seemed to be huge after they lost the mothership. I don't know why the writers made them lose Red Dwarf in the first place. And when they returned it wasn't the same anymore. The prisoner-floor thing was too dominant.

Lots of RD fans hate series 8

They say it's like Benny Hill in space

Too silly

Personally I like most of it - it's got some very funny moments

Like Krytens penis Archie!

And the Krytie TV episode has some great moments

Have a good period!

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ July 26 2013, 7:52 PM BST

Agree with most of what you wrote.
But: Star Bug wasn't that claustrophobic...sometimes it seemed to be huge after they lost the mothership. I don't know why the writers made them lose Red Dwarf in the first place. And when they returned it wasn't the same anymore. The prisoner-floor thing was too dominant.

The Red Dwarf model had fallen off a shelf and broken apparently. So they decided to just use Starbug.

Series VIII is very broad and none too subtle. It does have some amusing ideas but the whole the plots are wafer thin and it is too slapstick.