Sitcom writer attacks executives Page 9

I don't know John Warburton (although his name sounds extremely familiar...) but those who know him on here say he's a good writer. There are good writers on here I have seen over the years I've occasionally stopped by then disappeared again so I trust their opinion. I also trust that something that made it through the Comedy College is well-written.

It sounds like the people selecting his script for the competition/development programme were looking for 'good comedy' while the execs were looking for 'BBC3 comedy'. I must say one of my worst nightmares is having my dreams come true and a sitcom being commissioned, only to find it will be aired on BBC3.

BBC3 has a very specific demographic. It didn't used to, it used to be the place for new writing, but now it is basically E4, isn't it? I think execs and the BBC need to stop seeing 3 as the place for new writing. It isn't anymore. Not all new writers can create comedy for teenagers. I'm probably quite a bit younger than John but I couldn't create comedy for teenagers. Teenager-aimed comedy is often trend-based, so why not get something written by someone who has an interest in writing specifically for teenagers?! Maybe open up a slot on BBC4 for new writing? It sounds to me like you've got a writer who writes well for adults. And then you've got BBC3 execs who have a demographic to think about - the viewers of their channel, like I say, are pretty specific. It just sounds like the writer and channel were very mismatched.

This post has opened up a complex debate on several topics, waffle waffle. He got a pilot made; to many on here with delusions and probable mental illness it seems the giddy zenith of all that everyone could want. Errr

That's this writer's first mistake, surely: being too idealistic. Would he have been so peeved if the fiddled with pilot was a hit and got him a series? I imagine he's flounced off in a noisy huff because it wasn't a hit and he didn't get that series.

But if it was so strong a script and sitcom outline from the start would execs be wanting to fiddle with it?

Didn't they perhaps fiddle with it because it was vague and lacked a clear identity and vision, and seemed just another of these serviceable post The Office type filler coms at best?

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ August 17 2013, 12:37 PM BST

But if it was so strong a script and sitcom outline from the start would execs be wanting to fiddle with it?

See sglen's excellent post.

Quote: Jennie @ August 17 2013, 11:16 AM BST

He seemed nice. Can't we persuade him to come back?

He has loose lips and a sharp tongue, if he wants to make it as a writer, might be better for him if he drops by infrequently! :D

Good post though, Tim.

But he is older now and wiser. And more anonymous. And surely Susan's lawyers must have stopped monitoring the site by now. :(

Quote: Tursiops @ August 17 2013, 12:40 PM BST

See sglen's excellent post.

Yes, a good theory that maybe right, however it does assume the script presented was automatically worthy of more beyond the pilot. But what if it wasn't, or even worthy enough as a pilot? Which is more my point. The premise seemed too general, vague and unoriginal, to be blunt. Commissioners will be blunt (to most writers). He gave them a chance to change it and they jumped at it.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ August 17 2013, 1:00 PM BST

Yes, a good theory that maybe right, however it does assume the script presented was automatically worthy of more beyond the pilot. But what if it wasn't, or even worthy enough as a pilot? Which is more my point. The premise seemed too general, vague and unoriginal, to be blunt. Commissioners will be blunt (to most writers). He gave them a chance to change it and they jumped at it.

I suppose my point of view is that you have a pool of talent that is known by the BBC. Within that pool of talent you have really talented people. It is within the BBC's interests to find the most talented. I don't think it's reasonable to suggest that someone who has got into the Comedy College (I don't remember, but I believe you already needed to have had a commission of some kind?) and then has been whittled down from 1,000 other people is going to be a poor writer. Unless the competition itself was skewed in some bizarre way, and I doubt it was. The Writersroom is pretty good. The development arm of the BBC is pretty good. They do spot talent.

I also don't think you need a good premise for a good sitcom. For a good sitcom you need great characters and witty dialogue. There are loads of sitcoms based on 'two friends share a flat', but it's the characters and writing which separates the Spaceds and the Peep Shows from the...well, the others...why can't I think of a bad sitcom right now?

They spot talent and undoubtedly miss it too. Was JW awarded a hollow opportunity just for coming from the comedy college? An opportunity that rarely leads to a series commission but satisfies its members, until JW bucked the trend and stormed off.

A good writer can still produce poor scripts, especially ones to fit a remit for an opportunity. Inspired scripts are probably generally better, imo anyway. According to him they did change the premise. He wasn't happy with that. So why not write a stronger premise that doesn't yell 'change me'?

It seems to me, and I could be wrong Huh? that JW got handed a standard COC opportunity that he maybe over esteemed and had visions of greatness from, but handed in a weak or vague or too generalistic or too unoriginal sitcom outline/draft/idea/premise or all eight of these and it got mullered in 'the process'.

You are probably wrong.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ August 17 2013, 2:02 PM BST

They spot talent and undoubtedly miss it too. Was JW awarded a hollow opportunity just for coming from the comedy college? An opportunity that rarely leads to a series commission but satisfies its members, until JW bucked the trend and stormed off.

A good writer can still produce poor scripts, especially ones to fit a remit for an opportunity. Inspired scripts are probably generally better, imo anyway. According to him they did change the premise. He wasn't happy with that. So why not write a stronger premise that doesn't yell 'change me'?

It seems to me, and I could be wrong Huh? that JW got handed a standard COC opportunity that he maybe over esteemed and had visions of greatness from, but handed in a weak or vague or too generalistic or too unoriginal sitcom outline/draft/idea/premise or all eight of these and it got mullered in 'the process'.

The problem is, unless you know something I don't, this is all conjecture and assumption. We just don't know. Whatever the circumstances, this is a desperately sad situation. I hope he is finding happiness and fulfillment with his new venture.

Quote: Tim Azure @ August 17 2013, 4:41 PM BST

People with ideas are probably more in demand than those who can write good dialogue.

You think? In my (limited) experience, ideas are ten a penny.

Natural compelling, funny dialogue that advances the story and reveals character is much rarer.

Can you give us an example of a good idea Tim?