Sitcom writer attacks executives Page 10

Quote: Jennie @ August 17 2013, 4:44 PM BST

You think? In my (limited) experience, ideas are ten a penny.

Natural compelling, funny dialogue that advances the story and reveals character is much rarer.

But good ideas are rare.

I've been hired a couple of times just to brainstorm ideas.

Idea 1
Don't hire me brainstorm

Idea 2
Pay me

I've got a good idea! If you want to, I'll change the situation. Right people, right time, just the wrong location.
It worked worked for Dennis. But he was on the up.

I think they are excellent ideas.

Surely in low concept sitcom land, ideas aren't that important.

I know, let's set a sitcom set in a bar.

I know, let's set a sitcom set in a flat.

I know, let's set a sitcom set in a workplace.

I think that pretty much covers all sitcoms, ever.

Quote: Marc P @ August 17 2013, 5:07 PM BST

I've got a good idea! If you want to, I'll change the situation. Right people, right time, just the wrong location.
It worked worked for Dennis. But he was on the up.

Huh? Pardon?

Setting in sitcoms are the thing, relationships are.

Succesful fashion designer, is bratty teenager to middleaged daughter.

4 friends all think they're superior to each other and want to get laid.

Quote: Jennie @ August 17 2013, 5:09 PM BST

Huh? Pardon?

It's okay he's having an ITV4 day and enjoying all that whisky they flog on it. BTW is there yet an ITV4 thread? There certainly needs to be, what a channel. Doo de doo de I could be so good for you, woooooooo wooooooooo woooooooo woooooooo.

Shakes head sadly again. Dennis Waterman... Google him if you don't know who he is Mr Kipper.

Quote: Jennie @ August 17 2013, 5:09 PM BST

I think they are excellent ideas.

Surely in low concept sitcom land, ideas aren't that important.

I know, let's set a sitcom set in a bar.

I know, let's set a sitcom set in a flat.

I know, let's set a sitcom set in a workplace.

I think that pretty much covers all sitcoms, ever.

That's if you see an idea as just the setting. It's the situation that's important, in my book, and it's this that most are actually referring to as the 'idea'. The situation is the sum of setting, characters, hierarchy of characters, outside influences, more or less. There's a lot in that little 'idea'.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ August 17 2013, 5:27 PM BST

That's if you see an idea as just the setting. It's the situation that important, in my book, and it's this that most are actually referring to as the 'idea'. The situation is the sum of setting, characters, hierarchy of characters, outside influences, more or less. There's a lot in that little 'idea'.

I accept the relationships are more difficult to formulate than the mere setting. But, it is still 100 times harder to execute than to create.

Quote: Marc P @ August 17 2013, 5:21 PM BST

Shakes head sadly again. Dennis Waterman... Google him if you don't know who he is Mr Kipper.

Oh - I get it now. And I didn't have to Google. :D

Who must be the one true king of ITV4. If the royalties were any good anymore he'd be on the up and I don't mean up the Battersea dog's home. That whisky any good is it?

Quote: Marc P @ August 17 2013, 5:21 PM BST

Dennis Waterman

He needs to be brought back.