Sitcom writer attacks executives Page 8

And dodge the ceiling.

Well, I'm certainly not going to wade-in on this controversial thread...

Oops, it appears I've just waded-in on this controversial thread...

Look, firstly I wish John W all the best. I tore apart the screened result of his pilot as did many others. I'm not very proud of that attitude these days. I've dissected and dismissed a lot of comedy over the years (I've also lavished great praise on many) but that's not the point. (One of my most sado-masochistic fantasies is to see a piece of my work dismissed and denigrated on these very pages.)

Six years into trying to be a 'proper' comedy writer I've progressed at what - used to - appear a snail's pace. Perhaps, maybe, it's actually been at exactly the right pace? I've had a couple of near-misses, I've had a little bit of success. I've gone through periods of being adamant that my 'vision' is the only way. Then again, I've (admittedly more recently) had feedback/worked with some producers who've shown a great deal of encouragement towards the kind of comedy I'm trying to write.

I've a lovely agent, who sticks with me and keeps the faith.

Am I a successful comedy scribe as yet? No. At least not in the sense of getting where I would love to be. Am I artistically pure in word and deed? No, but I'm trying to be. Have I thought/attempted to write comedy which will move my career forward? Of course.

It would be easy if this whole debate was a black and white argument along the lines of 'Do you want to be a very successful hack comedy writer?' versus 'Do you want to be a artistically-pure visionary writer?' It's not that simple. It's probably never that simple. John had a choice to say no, no further. The execs had a chance to say no, no further. There is always a chance to walk away - bar the type of contract which, frankly, new comedy writers are lucky/doomed to see.

I keep going and I hope to get there. Not just in sitcom, but in whatever I choose to write. And the key word is 'choose'. Six years working (relatively) hard at this, whilst life and work and 'events' throw all sorts of other obstacles in one's path, have only taught me this. I can only write the stuff I find funny. I can listen and listening is good. People within the industry are looking for me to become better at my craft and develop stuff of mine they like. Some people don't like or 'get' my writing. That is not their fault. I've heard stupid suggestions on scripts and I've also heard great suggestions which can inspire me. No-one is personally out to get me. (Well, maybe a couple, no names...) The business of becoming a sitcom/comedy writer is not easy. Retaining one's faith in one's work is difficult. There are many, many people out there trying to realise this same dream. Some are less talented than you, some are more talented. Some are 'luckier' than you, some are less 'lucky'. Their success or failure shouldn't encourage/dissuade you.

Despite having your talent noticed at an early stage - it does not make you (necessarily) a genius, certainly not the 'finished article'. I am better at the mechanics of writing narrative comedy, through much practice, than I was six years ago. My 'dramatic' or 'comedy' voice is the same as it was six years ago, though that too is informed by experience.

Will I get my big break in this year? Or next year? Who knows? Maybe the stage play I'm writing will my big break, not TV. Who knows? I've made my peace with what it is I do now. I'm a writer. What I write is what I write. Where it goes is uncertain.

I expect nothing. And yet I expect everything.

(Not the funniest thing I've ever posted, but probably one of the most sincere. Love to all.)

I have absolutely no idea who you are, but that is a very lovely and encouraging post :)

Quote: Jennie @ August 17 2013, 12:13 AM BST

I have absolutely no idea who you are, but that is a very lovely and encouraging post :)

Don't worry, Jennie, I'm just some bloke who used to post here during the late 1930s, when it was the BCLEWG (British & Commonwealth Light Entertainment Wireless Guide).

Best of luck with your writing. ;)

Quote: T.W. @ August 17 2013, 12:30 AM BST

Don't worry, Jennie, I'm just some bloke who used to post here during the late 1930s, when it was the BCLEWG (British & Commonwealth Light Entertainment Wireless Guide).

Laughing out loud

Quote: T.W. @ August 17 2013, 12:30 AM BST

Best of luck with your writing. ;)

Thanks, and you :)

When Tim emerges to post it is like a Romulan battle cruiser decloaking.

Quote: Tursiops @ August 17 2013, 1:15 AM BST

When Tim emerges to post it is like a Romulan battle cruiser decloaking.

Laughing out loud

Quote: Marc P @ August 16 2013, 11:28 PM BST

Don't ask, it's too sad. Where's Micheal when you need him to explain the corporate view?!

Observing the industry from a happy distance, and fortunate to dip a toe into the shark-infested waters from time to time.

Tim is sorely, sorely missed.

I said two pints of lager and a packet of crisps please!!!

Is he gone again now? :(