Les Dawson: An Audience With That Never Was Page 2

Yeah, I was expecting more of the hologram part. But still very funny!

Seemed to go beyond a comedy show for obvious reasons. But very funny. I wouldn't say embarrassing for ITV - BBC would have similar talking heads if they made such a prog.

Another cut n'paste clips show with B-listers just happy to be in front of the camera.
The hologram was stupid.
And of course, doesn't work on TV.

Just repeat the bloody shows - the bloke was a genius.
I don't need Lorraine Chase to tell me that.

I thought it was bloody amazing!

Quote: Lazzard @ June 2 2013, 11:04 AM BST

Another cut n'paste clips show with B-listers just happy to be in front of the camera.
The hologram was stupid.
And of course, doesn't work on TV.

Oh good so it wasn't just me thinking that

Total waste of time

No reflection on Les - the guy will always be a total comedy legend

I'm just wondering if this hologramatic Les Dawson has laser attack...

Quote: Tim Azure @ June 2 2013, 1:14 PM BST

I'm just wondering if this hologramatic Les Dawson has laser attack...

Whoever coloured in his wig wants their eyes testing.

I shall assume it looked a lot better in real life than it did on the telly.

What was the point?

It seems to be because he died two weeks before he was actually due to appear in 'An Audience With' so his family / the original producer wanted to make it happen as he never got the chance.

Oh, I can't watch a comedian any more without her constant whispering commentary into my ear.

It's like when I go to the cinema and have Sue Pollard brushing the inside of my thigh, it just adds to the whole experience.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ June 1 2013, 9:27 PM BST

A mixed reaction from me. I loved the comedy and was pretty impressed with the technology, but the sheer number of talking heads in this show made me furious! It took up around half of the programme. I wanted to see Les Dawson, not 20 different faces talking about him.

Agree with you on the talking heads, largely unnecessary. I understand talking to his contemporaries, but Russell Kane was clearly just trying to get his mug on prime time telly and didn't at any point give me the impression that he is a massive Les Dawson fan. The bits of his act I endured while waiting for Joe Wilkinson's sketches on 'Live at the Electric' make me think Kane had never even seen any Les Dawson until he got the opportunity to exploit a dead comedian's legacy on prime time ITV.

They also committed the cardinal sin of showing the set up of a gag, then have some idiot explain the punchline, then show the punchline, thus ruining the whole pacing, timing, delivery and surprise elements of the original material (a bit like that Morecambe & Wise retrospective series did on Gold a few months ago).

And the shots of the the back of the audience were clearly not the same little group of (8 or so) celebrities they kept doing close ups of. There were no shots of the front of the audience. I wonder why?

And the hologram was creepy. Les's face kept moving around on his head. Sometimes it was too far to one side, sometimes his forehead disappeared, very distracting.

I think a 'best of' compilation and maybe a couple of interviews (from people who actually worked with him) would have been a much better way to do it.

I didn't like it.